Fear of my own self - original rock

The new amp sounds great man!!! Doesn't seem like the stock speaker has you held back any....

I think the snare is a little loud (already mentioned...sorry), & the bass needs some "oomph" (also mentioned....sorry again...), but this is a pretty cool song dude, just needs some TLC/fine tuning with the faders IMO....

Automation is your friend on the mentioned nits dude...

Something I'd suggest about the drums that may help the mix as a whole is to lose the Toontrack reverb/room sound...Use a multi-out for your drums, & send each kit piece to a reverb (or two), along with the other instruments may help to glue it together a little (IE: it might make it sound like everything was tracked in the same room...)...

Pretty cool song dude...:).

Thanks again for the compliments!

Miner, I am using Addictive Drums and haven't played with them enough to figure out how to multi-out them yet. Right now each kit piece has its own effects level, volume level, and EQ adjustments within the plug-in. I can take all reverb out however and use another plug-in for the verb with the other instruments in the DAW so they all share the same "room". I like where you are going with it, just need to figure out how to do it.....still learning the tricks!

Thanks again for the compliments!

Miner, I am using Addictive Drums and haven't played with them enough to figure out how to multi-out them yet. Right now each kit piece has its own effects level, volume level, and EQ adjustments within the plug-in. I can take all reverb out however and use another plug-in for the verb with the other instruments in the DAW so they all share the same "room". I like where you are going with it, just need to figure out how to do it.....still learning the tricks!
No idea about Sonar, but I know the multi-out thing can be done dude....A big reason I like doing that is you can add whatever you want to each kit piece (snare, hh, etc), without affecting the whole kit, which brings me to the reverb thing....Don't get me wrong, I like reverb on my drums, but I despise lots of it on a kick drum, of course, it's a personal preference, but just sayin'....

So, how do you like the new Marshall??? I think it's a good amp (I have the 100w head, which is basically the same thing) myself, but I've read a lot of mixed reviews about it...

There should be a YT tutorial on the multi-out thing in Sonar too dude....

I will definitely research that and try it out.

LOVE the new amp! Its a great compliment to my LP. Really bright for recording though. But I am very happy with the purchase. Best amp I have ever owned, and I have owned quite a few in the past 25 years....

I was originally just trying to come up with a cool riff for the tone thread with my new Marshall, but turned into a song of sorts.

Listen and critique..I can take it and I need help and suggestions on everything from mixing advice to arrangement to any awkward/horrible moments.

Mixing advice: Maybe take another look at the bv from 1.18 to 1.46. Some of the notes are disappearing (that's the main issue), some of the notes are sort of pitchy, and although the room sound on it is a legitimate mix decision, it sounds to me like it needs a different direction. If it was me, I'd be re-doing it, doubling it, telephoning it, fucking it up with all sorts of plugin voodoo, but that's just me. I like how it's panned, though, and how it contrasts with the main vocal, which is great.

Bad moments: none.

Mixing advice: Maybe take another look at the bv from 1.18 to 1.46. Some of the notes are disappearing (that's the main issue), some of the notes are sort of pitchy, and although the room sound on it is a legitimate mix decision, it sounds to me like it needs a different direction. If it was me, I'd be re-doing it, doubling it, telephoning it, fucking it up with all sorts of plugin voodoo, but that's just me. I like how it's panned, though, and how it contrasts with the main vocal, which is great.

Bad moments: none.

Thanks Dobro, yes I think I am going to have to at bare minimum re-track those parts. I sometimes have a hard time starting in the right pitch...sometimes more obvious than others. On the panning, I used the old trick of copying the audio to second track, panning 100% left and right, then bumping one forward a couple mil-seconds.

Thanks for listening and the advice!

Unfortunately I only get a minimal hours to work on it during the week. But I am hoping to come up with a re-mix this weekend. I am just now leaving work after a 18hour day.

Didn't read all the comments. Agree with the comments about the intro guitar tone. Really really nice.

I get you want the drums to be distant in the intro. It's not working. I suggest just bring them up to normal level or drop them altogether. You can another means to bring out that buried energy you're going for.

Speaking of drums, the snare just doesn't sit with the rest of the instruments. I understand you are using AD, so maybe change the snare sample to a deeper drum or EQ it deeper. Also suggest you try the snare solely through the overhead channels and turn the direct mic all the way down. experiment a little; I'm sure it won't take much tweaking to dial it in.

The bass could use a tad more oomph on the low end, but still keep that nice articulated high end. Don't be afraid to slam the hell out of the bass with a limiter, but back it off until it sounds reasonable.

Good song. I like what you have going and cranked up, it sounds pretty good.

Since Bright insisted I stay up til 3AM and make a re-mix, I did but I may have made it worse....new version is on first thread. Let me know if its any better or worse. Going to bed now...

I'm on west coast time now, MF! I can give you a cursory critique already!

The reduction in snare volume is a big improvement. Listening to the two mixes side by side, this is easy to tell. The other thing I wanted to judge was whether or not the bass sounds fuller in your remix, but on the speakers at my disposal right now, I can't tell. I'll get back to you later on that one.

Alright after listening to the latest mix with fresh(and not tired) ears...I realize that the kick is way too loud and/or thuddy. I will have to find a better kick for it.

I also think I recorded the bass with the lows rolled off on the Pre-amp up to 75hz so I will have to offset it in the EQ because I am not hearing much difference in in the two mixes or I will have to re-track the basses all together.

I genuinely like the song itself, but I was expecting a LOT more power when the rougher parts kicked in. Everything sounds so "laid back", esp for this style. Drums sound like a blacket is over them, but I love that
"back of the room" sound. Great song, but lacking a lot of oooomph.

Thanks Sammy, this is good to hear. I think I totally lost any ooomph it may have had in the second mix. Drums play a crucial role and I am gonna have to step back and find a better sound for them. I am hating the new kick as I listen to it at work. But trail and error. Hoping to spend some quality time on it this weekend. PLease check back and see if its any better.

Version 3 is up on first post. Please let me know if I am getting close on bass lows and if verse parts sound any better. As always, please comment on anything that doesn't sound good or is awkward.

Great sounding ! That amp sounds incredible! Bass sounds nice and beefy but not boomy on my headphones. The vocal "sound" suits this well.
Things I would maybe change (totally personal preference) - that very first drum roll is a bit quick. The rest of the drum patterns are pretty sweet.
I'm getting a bit of difference between the reverb on the vocals and the guitars. Guitars are more " in your face" but vocals are a bit distant. Again, just personal preference. Great song, great performances! OH I should say I listened to your last mix.

I didn't have time to read through all the replies, so forgive me if this is all rehash.

The drums sound pretty good all around, if a little dry maybe. The guitars are almost there, but maybe they could use a bit more presence--some mid range bite. Vocals are sitting pretty well in general. The biggest thing lacking (on my computer speakers) is the bass. (It's not a great system, but it's a 2.1 system so it can reproduce bass.) It's barely audible at all. It just sounds hollow and lacking in the fundamental frequency. Other than that, nice work! :)

Back