the faster we go...

Cool stuff. the distorted, scratchy, dirty vinylness is appropraite.
the guitar playing is really nifty.
I'm not terribly fussed on the rap part simply becasue your singing/speaking voice does the job really well.

Your music is awesome!
This song is so cool, energetic and puts me in this "keep going"/dancing mood :)
Your voice compliments the rhythm and music you make.
awesome stuff!

Man this is awesome.... I can't help but think of Cake when i hear it though.

I love the bass at the end. that is so awesome...

Good work man. I got nothing for you in terms of crits. Good job.

Cool stuff. the distorted, scratchy, dirty vinylness is appropraite.
the guitar playing is really nifty.
I'm not terribly fussed on the rap part simply becasue your singing/speaking voice does the job really well.

Thanks ray! I'm glad you got to check this out. One of the more fun tunes I've done so far at least.

Yeah, the verdict was split on the rapping. I really like to try it every once in a while, usually as a joke, but this time was serious. Not too much difference though!

Your music is awesome!
This song is so cool, energetic and puts me in this "keep going"/dancing mood :)
Your voice compliments the rhythm and music you make.
awesome stuff!

That is really nice of you - thanks TMS. I think maybe I've learned to make music that is simple enough that my voice will work with it. My voice is kind of strange and doesn't really work for too many different kinds of things. I try to identify the few things I can do and stick with them.

Man this is awesome.... I can't help but think of Cake when i hear it though.

I love the bass at the end. that is so awesome...

Good work man. I got nothing for you in terms of crits. Good job.

Hey Atom...haven't seen you around in while. Thanks for the good word! I liked what I heard of Cake when they first arrived, but they seemed to kind of disappear quickly. I like trying fuzz bass tones pretty often, but always get different results...this came up pretty good, but I'm still trying for some better tone, growl or whatever...thanks again!

That is really nice of you - thanks TMS. I think maybe I've learned to make music that is simple enough that my voice will work with it. My voice is kind of strange and doesn't really work for too many different kinds of things. I try to identify the few things I can do and stick with them.

I dont see it simple at all.
I dont hear much stuff like this being made these days.
I might be hooked on the genre :)
Your voice is what your voice is. Not strange to me at all.
As I said, it compliments the music you are making.
And you are doing it all right!

Compare the "Defective" and "Rustbucket" - two different songs, but both excellent!! (Most favorite of yours)

I dont see it simple at all.
I dont hear much stuff like this being made these days.
I might be hooked on the genre :)
Your voice is what your voice is. Not strange to me at all.
As I said, it compliments the music you are making.
And you are doing it all right!

Compare the "Defective" and "Rustbucket" - two different songs, but both excellent!! (Most favorite of yours)

Thanks. Maybe unique is a better word than strange? Anyway, I wish I could sing higher...I think I'm like a baritone or something.

I think by simple I mean all of the different parts. I layer a ton of shit on most of these recordings, but each individual track is really simple usually. Sometimes I'll just play 2 notes over and over again on a guitar for example, just because it fills in some gap somewhere or sounds cool. It kind of feels like cheating, 'cause if you're patient and selective enough, you can create some pretty complex sounding arrangements with just tons of little simple parts.

I'm learning how to work within my limits and stick to stuff I know I can do, rather than trying to perform/record anything unrealistically difficult. Listening to Beck many years ago kind of opened my mind to that idea...before then I tried and failed to do all jammy kinds of stuff, but I listened to his stuff and picked it apart and realized there is no virtuosity taking place anywhere...it's just a really cool collection of little parts (often very contrasting) that sound good together. Rap music in the '90's kind of taught me that too. That gave me hope about constructing my own tracks.

Thanks again for your support and enthusiasm!

yes, unique, definitely :)

Look, make a CD of your cool songs, finally
And, it will be my next present for my friends who like to groooove tooo :)
Can't wait!

It does not matter, how simple are the structure of the song.
Even when the instrument plays only a few notes.
The options of "little parts" are limitless and the hardest task is to choose the right ones and just enough.

Got to know your tools :)

Look, make a CD of your cool songs, finally...

Ha! I've been hearing that more and more lately which is of course very flattering, but I've read about it some and it just doesn't seem worth it in terms of effort & expense vs. end result. I'm not saying I'll never make a CD, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Thanks again for the support though :D.

Very enjoyable listen, P -- like Greg thought, it sounded a lot like Beck to me too. No mix nits here, this was solid.

Ha! I've been hearing that more and more lately which is of course very flattering, but I've read about it some and it just doesn't seem worth it in terms of effort & expense vs. end result. I'm not saying I'll never make a CD, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Thanks again for the support though :D.

Hey Heat,
Maybe just make your soudcloud page downloadable,,or safer idea, put the songs on a different place(dropbox?) so peeps have to ask you for the link,& you can keep tabs on who's doin what with it!! :thumbs up:

Very enjoyable listen, P -- like Greg thought, it sounded a lot like Beck to me too. No mix nits here, this was solid.

Thanks K! This song is over a year old now, but still generating feedback thanks to a random bump a little bit ago. Cough, Cough...thanks dobro...Cough
I haven't had a chance to play your new one yet, but hope to soon sometime when I'm not at work. :cool:

The beat is cool. Not a big fan of this kind of voice, but it is still a great production !

Thanks Swayin. The beat is a combo of a hip hop loop I found online and me playing an acoustic kit. Glad you like it.

I'm not really a big fan of this kind of voice either, but it's all I got, so I'm rolling with it. :D

great mix.. love the retro intro in the start.. i'm no techi so can't say much man. great mix!

Thanks Prabhu! The intro (and recurring bits throughout the track) is a loop I made out of cut up samples of myself playing on old Lowrey organ through a Leslie speaker back in like 2006 or so...I lifted it off some old cassette mutitrack tapes I found earlier this year.

I see you have a demo posted - I will try to check it out soon - thanks again!

Downloads will be enabled

Hey Heat,
Maybe just make your soudcloud page downloadable,,or safer idea, put the songs on a different place(dropbox?) so peeps have to ask you for the link,& you can keep tabs on who's doin what with it!! :thumbs up:

Yeah, I used to make every track downloadable...not sure when or why I got away from that. I think when I thought about possibly making a CD, I must've thought that playing hard to get would generate interest or something. At some point I stopped allowing it. I don't know that I want to keep tabs, and my dropbox account is often full of files for collaborations, so here's what I'm going to do since you and a few others have asked lately...

When I get home tonight, I'm going to enable downloads on all tracks on my Soundcloud page. I'll leave it like that for say, one week and see how it goes. I may turn it back off then, or maybe not...a week should be plenty of time for anyone to download MP3s if they like.

Personally, I have no use for MP3s, as I really only listen to CDs and tapes, but it seems to be the standard medium now I guess?

Thanks.

Yeah, I used to make every track downloadable...not sure when or why I got away from that. I think when I thought about possibly making a CD, I must've thought that playing hard to get would generate interest or something. At some point I stopped allowing it. I don't know that I want to keep tabs, and my dropbox account is often full of files for collaborations, so here's what I'm going to do since you and a few others have asked lately...

When I get home tonight, I'm going to enable downloads on all tracks on my Soundcloud page. I'll leave it like that for say, one week and see how it goes. I may turn it back off then, or maybe not...a week should be plenty of time for anyone to download MP3s if they like.

Personally, I have no use for MP3s, as I really only listen to CDs and tapes, but it seems to be the standard medium now I guess?

Thanks.

I think on soundcloud, you can put up say a 16 bit wave or wma or even an MP3 and that will be the download. So, if you want a better quality download, you can do something like that. Seems WMA has a better sound than MP3 and the neutral format of FLAC. Which is supposed to have high quality and still give you compression. Audacity has an FLAC export built in.

Last edited:
I think on soundcloud, you can put up say a 16 bit wave or wma or even an MP3 and that will be the download. So, if you want a better quality download, you can do something like that. Seems WMA has a better sound than MP3 and the neutral format of FLAC. Which is supposed to have high quality and still give you compression. Audacity has an FLAC export built in.

Interesting. Frankly, a lot of this stuff is over my head. I'm one of those perhaps rare people who, while I think I have a good ear for mixes and tones and whatnot, really can't tell any big difference between file types. 128kps MP3s sound fine to me (at least my own tracks) and not too different than a 320, or even the CD "masters".

There've been a bunch of discussions here about what format to post on Soundcloud/Soundclick, etc., but my understanding was that they ultimately stream at 128kps, so I have always ripped 128 MP3s from my CDs and posted those.

It sounds like you're saying you can upload a higher res file type, and although they will stream at 128, the downloads will come out as whatever original file type you used?

The other issue is that, with a free Soundcloud membership like I have, you can't replace files - only delete and add new ones. I put many of those up a long time ago and don't really wish to replace them, you know?

Interesting. Frankly, a lot of this stuff is over my head. I'm one of those perhaps rare people who, while I think I have a good ear for mixes and tones and whatnot, really can't tell any big difference between file types. 128kps MP3s sound fine to me (at least my own tracks) and not too different than a 320, or even the CD "masters".

There've been a bunch of discussions here about what format to post on Soundcloud/Soundclick, etc., but my understanding was that they ultimately stream at 128kps, so I have always ripped 128 MP3s from my CDs and posted those.

It sounds like you're saying you can upload a higher res file type, and although they will stream at 128, the downloads will come out as whatever original file type you used?

The other issue is that, with a free Soundcloud membership like I have, you can't replace files - only delete and add new ones. I put many of those up a long time ago and don't really wish to replace them, you know?

You are correct. Regardless of what you upload, it will convert and play at a set rate, but the download is original file. Since soundcloud bases it limits on minutes, file size shouldn't make a difference. (I can already hear the jokes ;) ).

The only reason I am stating FLAC is that its compression is lees intrusive on the music (lossless) than MP3. I am like you, on an MP3, I can't hear the difference, but between a 16 bit wave and an MP3, I really can. But wave files are huge, so not so good for transporting or downloading. But the FLAC standard is supposed to give file compression without compressing the music or less sound impact. The standard was a part of HD music standard. It is not well supported, but most Andriod devices can play it and I am sure there are Ios support as well.

Just giving options for best sound presentation. All the work everyone does with their music only to be lost in a file format. Just a shame.

Back