the faster we go...

heatmiser

mr. green christmas
Greetings,

It's been a few months since I recorded or mixed anything and apparently, it isn't just like riding a bike.

I actually spent quite a bit of time putting this one together - trying to create some loops from old cassette recordings of myself which was hard to do on a portastudio set-up. There's a drum loop as well as acoustic drums, lots of bass and a whole bunch of other crap. The end result is pretty goofy, but I guess I like it.

I'd love to hear any comments/advice on any aspect if you have a chance since, as noted above, I am a bit rusty.

Soundcloud link:

the faster we go... by kingseesar on SoundCloud

Soundclick link:

SoundClick artist: kingseesar - the faster we go...

Thanks!

"The faster we go, the older we get.....??" Man, that just sucks!! :mad: I turned 50 a few weeks ago. :) At least you didn't say "The older we get, the faster we go....", but that may be true, too. :(

Great song in typical Heat fashion. I like the distortion in the beginning, but maybe not through out the whole song. I can see where you might fade it in and out in key places. I'd also like to hear the vox up just a hair.

The mix has a great balance, nice solid low end energy.

Love the GD influenced guitar solo. :)

"The faster we go, the older we get.....??" Man, that just sucks!! :mad: I turned 50 a few weeks ago. :) At least you didn't say "The older we get, the faster we go....", but that may be true, too. :(

Great song in typical Heat fashion. I like the distortion in the beginning, but maybe not through out the whole song. I can see where you might fade it in and out in key places. I'd also like to hear the vox up just a hair.

The mix has a great balance, nice solid low end energy.

Love the GD influenced guitar solo. :)

Thanks Chili. I can't believe you're 50 dude...that is just sad. Happy Birthday though! I don't know what the hell I mean by that. It made sense at first, but now I'm not sure.

I think the distortion you're talking about is part of the loop I used. I think it has some scratchy, record-needle type lo fi thing going on, but whatever it is, it's part of that beat (I think it was supposed to sound like early '90's rap?). When I mute that beat, the change is just so dramatic that it doesn't work for me, but I agree, less scratch at times would probably be a welcome break for the listener. Maybe I'll figure something out...Thanks again!

I found the distorted kick a 50/50 thing - it's modern but I'm not a fan of the sound (old school attitude distortion = bad except for guitars). That's just my personal taste. Plus I'm old so get off my lawn! Anyway, as I listened I thought "man, there's a lot of stuff going on here - cool stuff too! This guy put a lot of time in on this". The mix is good for me, nothing I would say needs fixing. Cool tune !

I found the distorted kick a 50/50 thing - it's modern but I'm not a fan of the sound (old school attitude distortion = bad except for guitars). That's just my personal taste. Plus I'm old so get off my lawn! Anyway, as I listened I thought "man, there's a lot of stuff going on here - cool stuff too! This guy put a lot of time in on this". The mix is good for me, nothing I would say needs fixing. Cool tune !

Cool. Thanks ido. I'm not exactly young myself, but I still desparately strive to make music that is relevant. Instead, when I try to sound modern it comes off as 1990 or something.
I hope the acoustic kit comes through at least. There's the loop beat with a big kick, plus two mics on my bass drum. That's a hell of a lot of kick! Thanks again.

Sounds like a winner to me. I'm fine with the beat.

Awesome rapping dude.

I'm surprised your not famous

If you met me you wouldn't be surprised.

I'm glad you liked the rap part. Man, it was hard to get all that out without time to inhale...thanks!

Love it. The bass kicks much ass. This one is also car bound. I got no real mix comments

a. I don't feel like picking mix nits on something this good
b. I listened with cans :-)

Chuck

Love it. The bass kicks much ass. This one is also car bound. I got no real mix comments

a. I don't feel like picking mix nits on something this good
b. I listened with cans :-)

Chuck

Awesome. Thanks ChuckD (as if I need to distinguish you from all of the other chucks around here).

I love cans. I think I half-assed "mastered" this on cans, which is probably pretty stupid.

Awesome. Thanks ChuckD (as if I need to distinguish you from all of the other chucks around here).

I love cans. I think I half-assed "mastered" this on cans, which is probably pretty stupid.

Love the track man - gotta listen on the big stuff tonight. Now go blow up that solo so I can claim I once worked with you.

If he doesn't drop a CD, I'm going to do it for him. PS - where is Abingdon - or did I already ask you that?

I don't think you did. It's on the border of Tennessee and Virginia. Southwest Va. It's a nice quaint little town with rolling hills surrounding the area.

Cows..... Cows everywhere....

Love the track man - gotta listen on the big stuff tonight. Now go blow up that solo so I can claim I once worked with you.

Great. Thanks again. I'll be working on that really...uh, soon...I hope! Love the song, just haven't transferred the file over to the roland yet...

Nice! Gives me a very Magical Mystery Tour-esque vibe. Would definitely buy. Thinking of dropping a CD heat?

Wow. That's great. Thanks! I absolutely love that record, and while I wasn't going for that kind of sound necessarily, I find the reference flattering.

I don't have any plans for a CD currently. I don't know how to do that and don't have the money to have someone else do it for me...someday perhaps?..thanks again.

Wow. That's great. Thanks! I absolutely love that record, and while I wasn't going for that kind of sound necessarily, I find the reference flattering.

I don't have any plans for a CD currently. I don't know how to do that and don't have the money to have someone else do it for me...someday perhaps?..thanks again.

Yeah man, no problem. I think it was the tone of the synth in the beginning, that piano (was it piano?) dispersed throughout the song. Then, there's that clean guitar that sounds VERY George Harrison. And that kazoo sounding thing in the choruses. And the vocals sound a lot like a lazy John Lennon melody. That's Beatle-esque for sure.

Seriously, I really like this, and I have a very particular taste in music. This has to be the my favorite released (released to the HR community at least :D) song since early 2009, which was when John Frusciante released The Empyrean.

I just HAVE to get my hands on this. If you don't print CD's, you could always use CD Baby to host Mp3 downloads (although I am not quite sure. kcearl would know more about that). I would totally buy this!

Yeah man, no problem. I think it was the tone of the synth in the beginning, that piano (was it piano?) dispersed throughout the song. Then, there's that clean guitar that sounds VERY George Harrison. And that kazoo sounding thing in the choruses. And the vocals sound a lot like a lazy John Lennon melody. That's Beatle-esque for sure.

Seriously, I really like this, and I have a very particular taste in music. This has to be the my favorite released (released to the HR community at least :D) song since early 2009, which was when John Frusciante released The Empyrean.

I just HAVE to get my hands on this. If you don't print CD's, you could always use CD Baby to host Mp3 downloads (although I am not quite sure. kcearl would know more about that). I would totally buy this!

Thanks again. I hadn't thought of selling mp3s...I guess that's a lot simpler than a CD, but there's something nice still about the physical product itself. I don't know...I'll give it some thought.

The organ sounds are actually an old '60's organ we had several years ago. I found an old cassette of me playing a different song entirely, transferred the tape to digital, and then chopped up little pieces and looped them (after adjusting the pitch to match this song). Yes, those are kazoos during the 2nd two choruses.

That was a blast! Great job!

Cool! Thanks for checking it out Strat.

Very cool. Very Beck-like. I don't know about the rap part, but it's a great mix. No nits from me. :)

Thanks Greg! I'm glad you got to check it out.

Do you think that section just doesn't really belong, or that it makes sense but is poorly executed? Maybe neither, but more of a taste thing? Just curious as I'm probably a little unsure about it myself.

Thanks Greg! I'm glad you got to check it out.

Do you think that section just doesn't really belong, or that it makes sense but is poorly executed? Maybe neither, but more of a taste thing? Just curious as I'm probably a little unsure about it myself.

Well for me, first of all, I hate rap and anything that resembles rap. That's just me though, so naturally it's gonna turn me off when I hear something like that. Secondly, although I think you performed the part well, it just seems unnecessary to me and/or kind of cliche for the style. It's like I halfway expected to hear something like that just from the style of the song. You know what I mean? Kind of like those old Sugar Ray songs from the 90's. A light pop song with a pseudo-electronic beat and then bam, a rap part. Right on cue. I dunno, I'm certainly not trying to be excessively negative or bash your song. The rest is great and you've stepped your game up bigtime with your past 6 or 7 songs. I just could do without the rap part. It was just kind of meh. I think you're better than that.

Well for me, first of all, I hate rap and anything that resembles rap. That's just me though, so naturally it's gonna turn me off when I hear something like that. Secondly, although I think you performed the part well, it just seems unnecessary to me and/or kind of cliche for the style. It's like I halfway expected to hear something like that just from the style of the song. You know what I mean? Kind of like those old Sugar Ray songs from the 90's. A light pop song with a pseudo-electronic beat and then bam, a rap part. Right on cue. I dunno, I'm certainly not trying to be excessively negative or bash your song. The rest is great and you've stepped your game up bigtime with your past 6 or 7 songs. I just could do without the rap part. It was just kind of meh. I think you're better than that.

No, that's totally cool. I asked, so thanks for elaborating. I definitely don't want to sound cliche, and while in some respects I think this sounds kind of original, I think there's some validity to what you're saying.

Damn, I forgot about Sugar Ray. I think I actually kind of liked that sound a little at the time, but it seems cheesy now.

Initially, the entire thing was going to be rap, so be glad I at least dialed it back some! Thanks again.

Back