"As Fast as I Can" - Original Rock

Much more clearer. Seems like this mix works all around. I don't hear any issues on this mix.

Good one.

Cool! Did you program the drum part by yourself or used midi loop? Do you remember what the preset of AD is? :)

I really love this song!

Thanks everyone for listening and giving advice....very much appreciated! I still have to go back and re-track vocals to do correct lyrics.

DenDaj, the original kit I used was a Fairfax Vol. 2 kit called "Folky Punch" I then switched to "Blues Oyeahh" from Vol. 1....then back to the first one with the snare sample from the second. AD2 has beats built in depending on what packs you buy. THe main beat in this song is actually considered a Blues beat in 6/8 time. They had a 50% off sale couple months ago and I bought a lot of stuff. I use their basic beats and then manipulate them to fit the song in regard to programming and virtual mic placement. AD2 has been one of my best investments for recording because of its flexibility. I don't have the time or the money for having a real drummer, so this was my best option.

Mix sounded great to me, I like the way the vocals are easy to understand but never too loud and the guitars are off to the sides but don't sound too wide. Also that bass riff is cool and then it slides right back to a bassier tone without blinking an eye.... Very cool!

Thanks ido! This was actually a fairly easy straightforward song. Solos were done in one take, although I am not totally satisfied with them. Getting the mix right was the hard part and with help of everyone's ears I think I got it close to where it needs to be with what I have to work with. I am ready to wrap it up though...I have like 20 other songs that need my attention. lol

I think this last update is right there. I love the tune for sure! I actually thought you might have lowered the cymbals a little too much but that's just my taste I guess. Nice work bringing that kick out too. If I had to nit pick.........I'd say the vocals still need to stand out better. Maybe some EQ to make then brighter. I think they'd cut through the mix much better without raising the level. I also like a bit more bottom end from the bass...........but that's a matter of personal taste too. Nice song!!! Thanks for letting us hear it.

Fun song! Great energy all around, and the guitars sound great to me. The vocals sound a little effected IMHO, but the energy in the delivery was really good. The bass sounded really nice during the break, but when the song was going, I'd still like to hear a little more definition in the low end. It wasn't bad by any means. I just kind of wanted to hear a little more of the bass transient I guess, which was loud and clear during the break. Anyway, cool stuff; I'm sure your bro will dig it! :)

edit: Forgot to say that the intro was awesome! It sounding like a racetrack with cars revving and warming up. Very cool.

Thanks guys!

Mickster: Thanks for the kind words. I cut the cymbals roughly 2db...I may try bring them back up 1db and see if it's alittle better. I think they sit pretty good now though. As far as vocals, I did play around a lot with them for the last mix. I have a Valve driver plug-in on it to sound lo-fi and distorted a little. I have the tone on it all the way down. If I bring it up or adjust the EQ too much it adds "shrill" which wasn't working. Getting vocals to sit right I think is the hardest thing to do when recording and it can make or break you. When I listened to it at work it did sound like the volume could come up another notch though.

Beagle: Thanks for listening and commenting on it! I have recently had a tendency to put more effects on the vox to cover up my own lack of ability to sing solidly. This song though I wanted it to specifically sound distorted and gritty, but maybe it's a touch too much? I did add some reverb to it in the last mix. As far as bass, I don't have hardly any EQ on it except a slight roll off on low end and then the notch for the kick. It's pretty heavily compressed though with little attack. So maybe I can adjust that a little to give more definition. I hear exactly what your saying as the bass is a little muddy down there and lacks some definition.

Glad you liked the intro! I was going to make it longer with an announcer and other "race track" sounds but I think less is more here. I really like how when the drag car gets the green light and takes off, the guitar slide up blends in really nice with it. It was purely accidental though..was just playing around and then there it was lol!

Did not read others comments. Listening objectively as I'm in the mood just to enjoy the song...

I really like it. Slightly muddy/dark sounding but good overall balance. Nothing jumped out to me in the mix that really needed attention.

Cool rock song. Nice performances. Good production choices too.

Thanks for listening Retro.....I am hoping to get the new vocal track laid down this weekend as some of the lyrics are not right. It was just a "scratch track' really.

I listened to the latest version you have posted. I like the song. Some nimble-fingered guitar playing in there at parts. At first I thought the song was about racing, but then I noticed you're from Indiana and realized the whole thing was a metaphor for crank!

Layman's opinion... the mix sounded great to me, nothing stood out as too loud or soft. As far as personal preferences, I tend to like to hear the kick a little more... I think you have probably the perfect amount of thump, I might want a little more attack. I also tend to like the guitar-to-snare ratio a little more in favor of guitar than you have here, but with a song like this with its stop-and-start guitar playing (there's probably a term for it... I don't know it), maybe it benefits from having the beat very clearly defined by the drums.

The Indiana/crank thing was a joke, by the way. I hate using smileys. I guess they do save time, though.

Bwahaha didn't know you knew so much about Indiana and the Crank issues. Thats funny!

Thanks for the comments. I did put a track box(all in one master style plug-in) on the master and it really brought out the kick and bass but not sure if I am going to post it just yet. I want to crank my monitors up first and see what it sounds like on that instead of on the headphones.

For those that may be still following along can you listen to this latest mix and give me your thoughts? I purchased the Studio Devil Virtual Bass Amp and it has some cool settings. It has a bi-amp mode to have separate channels for low end and high end and mix them to taste. I messed around with it a little to try and equalize the bass sound on this song without going drastic.
Changes:
-Kick was manipulated to kick more "batter" sound
-Bass going through Bass Amp sim
-Correct lyrics re-tracked
-Various edits in drum patterns and clips

Too much Kick? too much bass?

Original mix sounded like Golden Earring...went through a couple iterations of ZZTop sound as many said. This new mix sounds pretty original with just a taste of either.
Your mix is pretty spot on now. Fun tune! Keep up the good work. :)

Back