Faith (You've Gotta Have)

Mr Clean

AKA Teddy Wong
Here's a little tongue in cheek song I wrote sometime last year. Never had any intention of recording it but thought, what the hell and threw it together today, just for a laugh. Rather than a serious attempt at recording a great song, this was more of an exercise in the continuation of my learning of Midi Drums and trying out my new Electric Guitar.

Thanks for listening and I apologise here and now for the 139 seconds of your life you'll never get back :laughings:

LYRICS
You’ve gotta have faith, in yourself
You’ve gotta have love in your heart it’s no use sitting on the shelf
And you’ve gotta have soul, in your shoes
You’ve got to step upon that dance floor and groove away those blues
And you’ve gotta have pride, whoa pride hi hide and you can’t lose.

And you’ve gotta have sights, in your eyes
To make your fame and fortune there should be no telling lies
And you’ve gotta have time, on your hands
To keep your loving woman, making good on her demands
And you’ve gotta know why, whoa why hi hy, you’ve gotta understand

Time waits for no man, and everybody knows it
No use sitting on your hands, watching people pass by, getting lonely

So with faith, in yourself
And a life full of love you wont be needing nothing else
And with soul, in your shoes
You can shuffle round the dance floor, giving rhythm to your blues
And with pride, whoa pride hi hide, you wont lose!

You’ve gotta have faith, in yourself
You’ve gotta have love in your heart it’s no use sitting on the shelf
And you’ve gotta have soul, in your shoes
You’ve got to step upon that dance floor and groove away those blues
And you’ve gotta have pride, whoa pride hi hide and you can’t lose.

Cheers

Last edited:
I really liked the tune. Solid performances all around. I liked the guitar sound.

Little pop at 1:06. Two more at 1:43 and 1:45.

I thought the bass was probably a little too loud.

I'd like just a wee bit more crack to the snare. You could probably turn it up a db or so too.

I thought the vocal had just a little too much bite to it. Maybe notch out a bit somewhere around 2400hz - 2700hz or so. Just small notch.

edit - I didn't care for the fairly heavy reverb on the lead guitar. But then again I don't care for fairly heavy reverb on most anything. :)

Cheers for listening Trip and the feedback.

I'll investigate the pops tomorrow. I agree with everything you said. Too be honest I just just threw the faders up until it sounded reasonable to me. I have a more in depth tinker with it tomorrow. :thumbs up:

Thanks for listening and I apologise here and now for the 139 seconds of your life you'll never get back :laughings:

I was just relieved that I didn't lose 139 seconds of my life for a George Michael cover. Anything beyond that point was a bonus :D

It was a fun listen and I liked both the guitar tone and the reverb on it - it gave it quite a retro, almost rockabilly feel. I like lots of reverb anyway mind. The bass could definitely do with bringing down.

I was just relieved that I didn't lose 139 seconds of my life for a George Michael cover.

:laughings: When I showed this to a friend the first thing he said was "that first line has got to go"! I left it for a laugh.

Cheers for listening and commenting Rob. Much appreciated. Being a bassist I'm biased when mixing the bass. I like loud bass.

I've edited the file in the first post. I've brought the bass down, upped the snare a little. Re-tracked the solo with a bit of Wah and Reverb (Still heavy reverb but not as heavy as before) It's a tacky song, it needs tacky sounds. Also some light edits and EQ on the vocals.

I think it sounds OK for a coupe of hours work. I'm not going to put anymore more effect in to it, as it's only a throwaway.

Any comments on the drums and how they could sound better? As tedious as it seems programming midi drums and playing bits on keys, I'm really enjoying learning how to do it.

I'll have a proper listen later on, but though computer speakers it sounds pretty cool :thumbs up: I really dig the rhythm electric tone and the performance is bob on. i really like the feel of the song as well.

I agree that the snare is probably a hint to loud and the solo guitar sounds a little bit thin and/or quiet, but as i said that's purely from a listen though on computer speakers.

Cheers for having a listen mate. I spent the day rearranging my recording environment and haven't had much of a play with it. I'll have another look at it in the next few days and give it some final tweaks.

My weakness is my monitoring. I have a pair of Wharfedale Atlantic 300's but they're pretty flat and are all I've known mixing/recording wise. I'm hoping to remedy the monitoring situation very shortly :thumbs up:

Good balance overall. Like the tune!!

I agree with the snare pop comment made earlier. The snare sounds like it has a rug on top. It is at the right level, just flat sounding. Not carzy about the doubled vocal effect. Sounds like a quick slapback. Maybe add a touch more delay or just turn the send down a wee bit. the effect doesn't need to be at the same level as the vocal track. But that is a personal taste thing.

All else is good to me.

yeah-ah-ahhh man.

Good balance overall. Like the tune!!

I agree with the snare pop comment made earlier. The snare sounds like it has a rug on top. It is at the right level, just flat sounding. Not carzy about the doubled vocal effect. Sounds like a quick slapback. Maybe add a touch more delay or just turn the send down a wee bit. the effect doesn't need to be at the same level as the vocal track. But that is a personal taste thing.

Cheers for the feedback Chili. I'll have another look at the snare sound in the next day or two. Drums are my main struggle area, not being a drummer, but I'm getting better. The vocals are actually doubled. One centre and the other half the volume panned somewhere to the right. I'll have another look at this. I may re-track the vocals yet and just stick to the single track with a touch of reverb. Get that 80's type sound. Cheesy! :laughings:

Glad you did, really enjoyed it. :)

Thanks for listening frits. Glad you enjoyed it. :thumbs up:

Must love the bass :guitar:

Abso-fuckin-lutely! :thumbs up:

I think this is great! Agree with earlier post about snare.....a little more *pop* to it would sound cool....its a little wooley now, great song....love hearning light hearted type tunes on here, for me , its tougher to write a song like that then doing the dark, demented, or stupidly sarcastic things I usually come up with :D
Great job.....

I think this is great! Agree with earlier post about snare.....a little more *pop* to it would sound cool....its a little wooley now, great song....love hearning light hearted type tunes on here, for me , its tougher to write a song like that then doing the dark, demented, or stupidly sarcastic things I usually come up with

Cheers queepy. Glad you enjoyed it. I've attempted to address the snare sound. I'm aiming for something between a snare and a cardboard box kind of sound. It's only a throwaway anyway. It is what it is :thumbs up:

Throwaway anyway?
Don't throw it away!

Well, what I meant is it's kind of a B-Side/Album filler at best. It was only meant as a bit of fun when I wrote it. I was just dicking around. I only recorded it to play with midi drums. They're my current 'new thing' that I'm attempting to learn and get a decent sound from.

Ever thought adding female back vocals to it?

I haven't actually. Shame the wife can't sing a note though :laughings:

I haven't actually. Shame the wife can't sing a note though :laughings:

Make her sing when she takes a shower.
You will be impressed with the results after half year.

When I met my wife she could not get the notes right.
But now...

Back