Face Up - Rock Song Idea

jonlint

Hi all,

Working on a new rock song idea - partial vocals - 2nd verse and potentially some additional fills pending. Not sure if it is worth working on further or if it is “nothing special” - feedback welcome:

Face Up - Rev1 by Jonathan Linton 4 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

FACE UP
(Words by Jonathan Linton, Music by Jonathan Linton)

You’re at war, within yourself
Put your pride upon the shelf
We need to fail, and fail to need
That self-doubt to proceed
Yes it hurts, yes its dirt
Soiling your will to reassert
Lift your head up to the sky
Give it another try

So you failed
You’re better man
Don’t hide in shame
Just face up to it
Face it down
You’ll rise again
Never know if you don’t face up to it

VERSE 2 PENDING

So you failed
You’re better man
Don’t hide in shame
Just face up to it
Face it down
You’ll rise again

BREAK/SOLO

So you failed
You’re better man
Don’t hide in shame
Just face up to it
Face it down
You’ll rise again

It's got a good old school rock vibe. I like it. Mix has nice clarity on headphones. Vocals are great. Good job on guitars too. My only nit is the drums seem to be slightly lacking some high end detail.

Nice ping in that snare. High end on the drums seems ok in these 'phones.

A little bassy, could be my phones.

Kind of AliceInChains meets GNR meets Motley meets Alice Cooper...

Cool delay in the solo, can't tell if it's distracting or not... hmm...

Needs a powerful, descending guitar lick at 3:33 over the held chord, in my opinion.

Guitar tones nice and fitting. No other nits really.

been listening to a bunch of mp3's.

notice this player seems to be the best imo, it is right there and no downloading etc...boom, click it plays.

the song is better than the recording imo. theres something missing in the recording to put it on fire, its better than stuff I do so I dont know whats holding it back from being like MetallicaSoundgardenAlice released pro-sounding.

its not really the parts, they sound good individually, but maybe its the processing of the mix or something that doesnt push it up a level ... this kind of tune is always best cranked up so I hadnt done that either, some mixes come to life with some DB dope....

Brand new here but already liking your stuff. Doesn't sound bassy on my system. Right in the sweet spot. That's the problem with sites like this -- everyone's listening on a different setup. You have to take comments seriously -- but also understand that listening systems differ. Honestly, this sounds spot-on to me. But this style is perfect for me, so I may be biased. STP meets AIC meets Motely Crue. Nothing wrong with solid influences. :-) I think I said this on your other tune, but I could listen to this all day as-is. Go with your gut.

Back