Ethereal Embers - Been forever, I know... (New Original)

PoeticIntensity

MagicJones.com (is a website)
So, I've been so busy producing other people's music, I've all but forgotten how to do my own. As electronica is definitely not my forte, I thought I'd post this here for a few critiques, comments, and whatnot.

Critiques on everything are welcome. Specifically... Did it hold your interest?

Thanks all!

Ethereal Embers

The drums sound like a slowed Joy Division or a track from LOW or Heroes.
The melody could suit Hansa Bowie as well.
The changing rate of the throb was a bit odd.
Interesting stuff.

Yeah, this is pretty interesting...I liked the pulse to it and some of the "lead" instrument tones were really nice. Especially the one that comes in around :59. Cool. I liked the swirly, stomp of the ending too.

The only electronic music I've listened to more than just a little is dubstep which is obviously much more high-energy and chaotic. So for me, while it would make a great backing track to something with visual images or whatever, it was a bit too mellow and the changes came too infrequently to hold my attention in terms of a track that I would just sit down and listen to straight up.

Not that I didn't listen to it! :) I made it through the whole thing and can't really fault the mix as a whole, but hopefully someone with a better ear for this stuff will chime in at some point.

Good to hear from you again!

Haven't given the clinic as much time as I'd like lately.
Seems everyone's doing spacey ambient stuff... I thought we were all doing country! :eek:

This is pretty cool. Totally not what I listen to although Low and Heroes do happen to be two of my favourite records.

I'd probably fall in line with Heat where this kind of thing wouldn't really hold my attention very well but, like I say, it's just not my thing.
Everything sounded clean and clear and nicely placed. Sounds like a good job to me. :)

Thanks for sharing.

The obvious critique that sticks out to me is that I'm hearing a "clicky" sound on the kick. Is it clipping?

Otherwise, it's a pretty decent ambient kinda song.

I thought it sounded OK. But I never seem to be able to offer a good critique on electronic stuff. Sorry.

The only thing I'll mention is that the kick (or some purcussive sample) has a click to it that I didn't care for. Too attack-y.

I thought there was plenty of cool stuff going on with the synths. I liked the pulse too, and for me the arrangement had enough to hold my interest throughout.

The one thing that didn't really work for me was the beat. I think the samples used date the sound very much in the late 80s/early 90s (particularly the snare) and the pattern is very much a traditional rock one for the most part. For electronica, I kind of want the beat patterns to evolve a bit provide a bit more energy/drive the tune, and have plenty of percussive stuff going happening on the off beats. You do that in the outro section at the end and it's really cool there.

Just some thoughts that will hopefully help. Apologies that they're not expressed in a very technical manner! :)

The one thing that didn't really work for me was the beat. I think the samples used date the sound very much in the late 80s/early 90s (particularly the snare) and the pattern is very much a traditional rock one for the most part. For electronica, I kind of want the beat patterns to evolve a bit provide a bit more energy/drive the tune, and have plenty of percussive stuff going happening on the off beats. You do that in the outro section at the end and it's really cool there.

It changes up a bit throughout and also around 1.40 and 1.50 and 2.25 - effective accent. But there are sections that would smile at a mute button, yeah.

The sounds engaged me for two reasons. They work well, and they aren't sounds I would choose first time, but this guy got them worked into a sound that's elastic and glowing and even crystalline in places. That's electronica for you. You wander in and the deliciousness of the sound diverts. If you do it right. I'd have voice on this one so fast you could set your timepiece by it. Don't anyone get their feelings hurt.

The drums sound like a slowed Joy Division or a track from LOW or Heroes.
The melody could suit Hansa Bowie as well.
The changing rate of the throb was a bit odd.
Interesting stuff.

Thanks, Ray. I'm a total n00b at this stuff. I listen to Trance all the time, but actually creating it is somewhat mystifying to me. The throb kind of threw me a curveball as well, at first, but it grew on me the more I used it. *shrugs*

Yeah, this is pretty interesting...I liked the pulse to it and some of the "lead" instrument tones were really nice. Especially the one that comes in around :59. Cool. I liked the swirly, stomp of the ending too.

The only electronic music I've listened to more than just a little is dubstep which is obviously much more high-energy and chaotic. So for me, while it would make a great backing track to something with visual images or whatever, it was a bit too mellow and the changes came too infrequently to hold my attention in terms of a track that I would just sit down and listen to straight up.

Not that I didn't listen to it! :) I made it through the whole thing and can't really fault the mix as a whole, but hopefully someone with a better ear for this stuff will chime in at some point.

Good to hear from you again!

Thanks for your input, Pete! (and going out of your way to listen to stuff out of your genre)... As far as this music goes, I'm trying to create an "ambient" piece with more rhythm than usual. Not quite trance, but definitely more rhythm than ambient. Heck.. I have no idea what I'm doing. I just want to expand my musical creating abilities. Thanks again for listening, dude. Also - loved the latest piece you posted. Great stuff, as usual.

Haven't given the clinic as much time as I'd like lately.
Seems everyone's doing spacey ambient stuff... I thought we were all doing country! :eek:

This is pretty cool. Totally not what I listen to although Low and Heroes do happen to be two of my favourite records.

I'd probably fall in line with Heat where this kind of thing wouldn't really hold my attention very well but, like I say, it's just not my thing.
Everything sounded clean and clear and nicely placed. Sounds like a good job to me. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the listen, and critique, Steen. Hope your day rocks, man.

The obvious critique that sticks out to me is that I'm hearing a "clicky" sound on the kick. Is it clipping?

Otherwise, it's a pretty decent ambient kinda song.

Yeah, it's definitely not clipping. It's part of one of the many kick sounds I included. I hear what you're talking about, and to be honest, I'm not quite sure I'm in love with it either. But, I don't hate it... So... We'll see if it stays.

Thanks for the listen, Steve!

I thought it sounded OK. But I never seem to be able to offer a good critique on electronic stuff. Sorry.

The only thing I'll mention is that the kick (or some purcussive sample) has a click to it that I didn't care for. Too attack-y.

I can always count on your listen, Triple. Thanks for being awesome. I'll give that clicky kick a hard ponderance....

I thought there was plenty of cool stuff going on with the synths. I liked the pulse too, and for me the arrangement had enough to hold my interest throughout.

Just some thoughts that will hopefully help. Apologies that they're not expressed in a very technical manner! :)

No worries, Rob. Beggars can't be choosers... I'm just grateful for all the listens and comments. I hear ya about the snare, but I've gotta say - there's something I just love about its clarity. The snare sound actually comes from a sample set in the DSI Tempest, which was updated 3 months ago, so it definitely isn't "dated", or shouldn't be, but ears are where the rubber meets the road. Trance music uses the white-noisey snare all the time, but I'm a n00b. It very well may be dated.

Also, you're right. I do need to do more with the beat, and as I learn and do more, I'll get more into a logical work-flow, and figure out how to do it easier. As it is, it's a pain in the bootie.

Thanks for the listen!

It changes up a bit throughout and also around 1.40 and 1.50 and 2.25 - effective accent. But there are sections that would smile at a mute button, yeah.

The sounds engaged me for two reasons. They work well, and they aren't sounds I would choose first time, but this guy got them worked into a sound that's elastic and glowing and even crystalline in places. That's electronica for you. You wander in and the deliciousness of the sound diverts. If you do it right. I'd have voice on this one so fast you could set your timepiece by it. Don't anyone get their feelings hurt.

Thanks tons, Dobro! .... ahem... You wouldn't have a voice in mind, would you? I've done tons of collaborations (albeit acoustic drum collabs) in the past, and I'd love to hear your ideas, if you're up for it. It's all "learning-in-progress" for me now, anyway.

Thank you!

Back