Eschatron - Stellar Garden (Original)

you got 2 glitches one at :02 and one on 4:00 (kinda like you bounced out in real time with overloaded cpu?)

it sounds great but not a lot happening production wise ...

not a lot happening musically in this either,but check the production (particularly the overuse of compression that works !:D)

<- i cant listen to that once,has to be on loop :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mFu6UYTDhM <- not necessarily whats happening in the above vid,but worth looking into if you haven't already :)

Interesting..it does seem to glitch out at certain points. I went back and listened to the mp3 I bounced and it doesn't have the glitches, so it must have been when I was rendering the video. Not a big issue, this is just a rough draft. I'm confused as to what you're getting at though. I agree it is very minimal at this point. I think I'm gonna try to keep it pretty minimal for this track, although it probably could use a few more layers to thicken up and accent the main chords. But when you say not a lot going on production wise, i'm unclear what you mean. Do you feel it's poorly mixed? Or what are we talking about here? Also, i'm not sure what exactly i'm listening for in the first video you posted. Is it just a song you like or what lol? The only thing I could think of is that the main little melody is using a synth pretty similar to the main synth I used in this track. Also what did you mean by "check the production (particularly the overuse of compression that works !:D)"?

your mix is fine,the sounds your using are well rounded .. all good there

production wise there's not much to hold the ear,if you listen to the first 10 seconds of your track then you`ve heard its 5:48 entirety .. there's no variation,no builds, no drops,constant velocity,no dynamic,same sounds and the worst bit, no hook ... its basically the same loop repeating ...

a mix is getting the balance right between tracks,a production is all the bells and whistles ...

a great mix does not equate to a great song,a great production makes a great song shine ...

mix it up :)

the pizza guy vid i linked is hooky as hell,has great production .. listen to the space it creates,that lovely fat compression on the beats,vocals,instruments,tight verb ..3d spacing .. listen to its movement its alive,the whole thing flows .. everything in that track is hooky .. bass,vocals,pitched vocals,keyboard lines,break,drop (did you notice the vocal/bass morphing?)

i posted pizza guy cos its very similar to your track and for you to maybe grab some ideas offa :)

edit: "what did you mean by "check the production (particularly the overuse of compression that works !
biggrin.gif
)"?" take the intro for example,that's heavily over compressed,when i first heard it i thought noob .. but it works !

Hmm..well I disagree with some of what you said. I would consider the part at 1:30 to be the start of a build, and 2 min to be a drop. Maybe I just need to add some more elements that give it more tension? I think the thing that makes it listenable is the fact that it ISN'T at a constant velocity; the plucky clean synth intro opens up into a whitenoisey supersaw. You may be right about compression/limiting though. Last night I was actually working on mixing another track and discovered that if you funnel your track into sub-busses, which eventually funnel into 3 major busses (Kick, Percussion, Synths), which funnel into a "submaster channel", then you can essentially mix with 2 tracks. 1. The kick 2. The rest of the instruments. And then you just sidechain the entire mix so that it ducks for the kick (or possibly the kick + other percussive elements). It gives the whole track a pumping effect, which allows you to really push the shit out of your instruments, and allows the kick to cut through the mix beautifully because it isn't competing with ANYTHING.

As far as the pizza guy goes, I agree it's mixed very well and is pleasant to listen to, but you gotta admit man, that track is pretty loopy itself. It's just layers being added and removed. It pretty much stays the same chord progression the entire time. I'm not saying that's bad. In fact, the opposite, I feel like it proves you can build a track out of a 16-32 bar loop and have it be catchy.

Let's say you and I were collaborating on my track, how would you twist it to make it your own? What do you feel are some major elements its missing? Also, do you have a soundcloud or youtube account where I could listen to some of your originals? I think it would be cool to stay in contact with you so I can show you updated versions in the future and see if I can get it to pop for you. Although I am somewhat resistant to criticism and will put up a bit of an argument as to why I disagree, I do really appreciate you taking the time to listen and post suggestions. I think it actually makes it better if you don't particularly like the track and I can twist it to make it catchy to you. Anyways, thanks again, and you should drop your page(s) so I can follow you and get your feedback in the future. -Eschatron

i have no intentions of giving my stuff away or working for free,if i did id do it on a site i mod on .. this is the 3rd site i come to and i only come here when the others are quiet

all i do is write,i love love all things audio ... helping out is another thing (that's why im around) but i would have to dig it to invest any time ...

take any advice you hear with a pinch of salt,never take comments personally or change your work to please someone else,do it for you :) listen to what people say,if they point to a tute or a technique mold it into something that works for you ... there all tools that can build up your arsenal :)

but i would say that for EDM/hardcore/metal this is the wrong site to be posting on ;)

So you're THAT confident that your work is THAT good? I wasn't actually asking you to collaborate with me, I was just curious where you would take it, since you seemed to find issue with it. I'd like to appeal to the broadest audience possible without compromising my style too much so I was just curious what would make it something you would want to listen to. I mean, I'm pretty flexible. I produce all kinds of genres. In fact, I'm in the process of writing/producing a folky/classic rockish type album with some electronic elements.

Anyways..So...I take it you're making a living out of your involvement with music? I mean, the reason I asked to hear some of your work is to see whether it's even worth listening to your opinion lol For all I know, I could be a better writer/producer than you.

lol,my work is shite,badly played contrived shite at that,but i am blessed with ears like a shithouse rat .. sometimes i get to final listen to tracks from an excellent mastering house and a big commercial studio (and lots in between) to check for for anything they've missed before passing on to the client ...

Back