Enya's Orinoco Flow - Hard Rock

PoeticIntensity

MagicJones.com (is a website)
So, it's been too long since I posted. I hope to make up for that by this cover of Enya's Orinoco Flow. I'm going to use it for a YouTube video and I'm interested in pretty much any feedback.

Updated Mix v2

Thank you!

PS - For those interested, the channel it will go on is Meaningful Hard Rock

Last edited:
No complaints here. Good performances all round. Mix sounds clear and open on my little office speakers, pretty good considering it's pretty busy. Nice job

Listening on phones... very professional sound. Nice job.

I'm not sure if I'm hearing things, but during "Sail away, Sail Away.." I hear what sounds like guitar strings being scrubbed, almost like when you slide from one barre chord to another and whatever FX are there exaggerate it somewhat. Either that, or it's a specific sound you've added which gives that impression. Either way it sounds good - no complaints. :listeningmusic:

The instruments sound good. It's a very busy mix, but it's cool.

The big thing that sticks out to me is the vox. They're mostly very buried except for a few clicky frequencies that are cutting through too much.

Taking the crashes down a bit would probably open up a lot of space.

No complaints here. Good performances all round. Mix sounds clear and open on my little office speakers, pretty good considering it's pretty busy. Nice job

It is a busy mix... I think I'll re-mix it to thin it out a bit... New version coming soon. Thanks for the comment!

---------- Update ----------

Listening on phones... very professional sound. Nice job.

I'm not sure if I'm hearing things, but during "Sail away, Sail Away.." I hear what sounds like guitar strings being scrubbed, almost like when you slide from one barre chord to another and whatever FX are there exaggerate it somewhat. Either that, or it's a specific sound you've added which gives that impression. Either way it sounds good - no complaints. :listeningmusic:

Yeah, one of the guitar tracks used an amp that accentuated the scrapes *much* more than I wanted. I'll see if I can get rid of that. Thanks for the suggestion!

The instruments sound good. It's a very busy mix, but it's cool.

The big thing that sticks out to me is the vox. They're mostly very buried except for a few clicky frequencies that are cutting through too much.

Taking the crashes down a bit would probably open up a lot of space.

Yo, Steve! Good to hear from ya, man. Yeah, I kind of buried the vocals on purpose in an attempt to capture the same feeling as the original song, as they're quite buried, too, yet thick with doubling / harmonies... I'll get a remix up that will open the mix up. Right now, there's too much going on. ya'll are right.

There's still some frequencies on your voice that keep clicking. e.g. your "da da"s are coming through as more of a "tay tay"

Edit: You've got a glitch where the audio drops out at 4:06-4:07 (that or the mp3 got corrupted on download)

Around 1:18, I can't make out any vocals. They are really buried. I hear "t", like Steve said.. wouldn't even have thought they were supposed to be "d". The ess'ing on "sail" is pretty aggressive too.

I just think each instrument is clouding up the other... especially in the lower midrange.

Ah, I heard a "sail" near the end that is coming off as "fail"... are you using a de-esser there?

There's still some frequencies on your voice that keep clicking. e.g. your "da da"s are coming through as more of a "tay tay"

Edit: You've got a glitch where the audio drops out at 4:06-4:07 (that or the mp3 got corrupted on download)

The "da"s are supposed to be "de"s... And I definitely put too much of a "t" on it, but at this point, I don't want to re-sing it. I'll try to get a more aggressive de-esser. Also - I checked, and the audio seemed fine at 4:06-7 on my end... Is the drop-out reproducible?

Around 1:18, I can't make out any vocals. They are really buried. I hear "t", like Steve said.. wouldn't even have thought they were supposed to be "d". The ess'ing on "sail" is pretty aggressive too.

I just think each instrument is clouding up the other... especially in the lower midrange.

Ah, I heard a "sail" near the end that is coming off as "fail"... are you using a de-esser there?

Another vote for a more aggressive de-esser... I can hear it now. Also, Taras, I took the liberty of clicking on your soundcloud, and gotta say - I like your jams. I listened to The Sun Lies, and Midnight, and they sound great!

As far as the dense instrumentation, I definitely have too much going on in the guitar-realm, but I kind of want it to be dense. I have between 4 and 6 guitars playing pretty much the same thing almost all the way through. And the vocals might be too buried, but while listening to the original, Enya's vocals are buried, too. Perhaps I buried them too much? I'm listening in a treated, purpose-built mixing room on Adam A7X monitors, and the vocals are audible throughout, but buried. I'm concerned if they're completely in-audible...? Just listened on AKG Q-701 headphones, and the vocals are even more prominent. Hmm.... I'll do a bit more mixing, but the more I listen, the more I like the vocals where they're at. What are you using to listen, Taras?

I listened on HS8's. You are free to take whichever advice you like, if any. Everyone will have differing opinions.

So, I was a radio DJ..not a musician. That just means I got to hear a LOT of music that made the cut and got played.

#1. I like it! Fun to hear! That "fun" part is a big plus.

#2. I think you need to increase the vocal presence a bit, especially the sale away part. The instrumentals tend to bury you.

But very listenable and I suspect has some commercial potential...I've heard a lot worse, believe me!

Looking forward to the remix.

John

Wow Really good power in the mix without sounding super compressed , nice mastering job...I thought the vocals were going to swell up to a louder level but they seemed to stay low, it kind of sucks you into the mix but i think they could come up a bit. The choruses are pretty audible, it's the verses that i can't pick out individual words. Drums sounds are great ill have to look and see what was used i think the snare sound is excellent for the track. Distorted electric sounds are great as well. I think it's a real good take on the classic enya song, though considering how vocal heavy her version is i think the listeners expectation would be to hear a little more of the vocal in yours. Great sounding mix/master for sure....nice work

Back