"Entropic Sausage" - 25 seconds of garage punk

VomitHatSteve

Hat STYLE. Not contents.
Over this weekend, I got together with my old drummer from college and recorded a low-fi punk album.

2 dynamic mics + 1 DI channel into a stereo wav.
One guitar/bass, Snare, hi-hat (no kick)
No click. no multi-tracking. Everything all at once in an untreated garage.
The DAW is command-line linux with the sample rate set to 41000, because I can't type good.

Obviously, we're going to be pretty limited in what we can do in the mix phase, but I want to get this as coherent-sounding as possible before release.

So here's my first pass at one of the song.
View attachment Entropic Sausage 1.mp3

I've also attached the raw, version in case anyone has any ideas for how to clean it up from there.
View attachment entropicSausage - raw.mp3

Thanks!

it sounds pretty muddy with not a lot of detail. I don't really know how to critique it because you are going for low fi and it's pretty low fi as is.

Sort of. We're going for as good-sounding as we can using minimal time and equipment. Mud is to be avoided (but the guitar and lead vocal are in the same channel, so of course cutting the mud from the former will affect the latter)

Don't know how can you record anything remotely punk-like without a kick!

I actually think the raw version sounds better, more dynamic even though the panning does sound a bit weird in headphones. I would pull things a little more to the centre and not process it too much - just leave it in all its kickless glory :)

Right? A kick would have been nice, but all we had was a glitchy, toy drum machine that he couldn't get the hang of triggering while playing drums.

I've gotten some other feedback suggesting that I leave it closer to the LCR arrangement (but possibly add some delay/verb)

Here's that mix: View attachment Entropic Sausage 2.mp3

I've also attached the raw, version in case anyone has any ideas for how to clean it up from there.
View attachment 101025 Thanks!

Hey Steve, the raw version is clipping like a mad dog. It has over 200,000 clips. Maybe lower the input level to start with? The L/R channel is way off as well. It sounds pretty crappy on my playback systems. Like others have said, it is hard to pin point what is really going on.

Steve.jpg

Vomit, I like the "spirit" of it, but the timing is groove is off. Others are bothered by clipping. I'm not. I just hear it as another form of distortion (at least on headphones; it might be worse on other systems). I'd say channel that energy and spirit into a real garage recording. Set up a 4 track or something and hammer it out using a more genuine lo-fi medium, and then lengthen the song -- it does nothing on a compositional level in the brief 25 seconds. I'd like to jam with you guys because the spirit is right on but in terms of execution or an enjoyable listen it's not there.

I'll try to listen again on a better system than what I just used. But my first thought was you need to deal with a bunch of low end problems. Roll off some very low - like up to 80hz - 100hz or so. And then maybe notch the bass out somewhere in the 300hz - 400hz range.

Nola, we recorded 13 songs that night ranging from 0:05 to 2:XX. I opted for this one as the first mix test since it's short enough to not try anyone's patience too much! :D

Andrush, I'm down to collaborate with pretty much anyone. Motivated and with free time enough to initiate a project? That's another question entirely.

TripM. I actually had it boosted a little bit in that range to get the bass rumble out a little. Lemme try a quick tweak on that.

View attachment Entropic Sausage 3.mp3

Hi,
I like it it's rough and coarse as the kind of music needs to be

Great tune and playing.. mix-wise I think the rythm guitars should be more "in your face". They sound buried in the mix to me.

Hi,
I like it it's rough and coarse as the kind of music needs to be

Great tune and playing.. mix-wise I think the rythm guitars should be more "in your face". They sound buried in the mix to me.

I could see that. Lead vox and guitar are the same channel tho, so it's too late to adjust their balance except via EQ. :(

I like it, considering the circumstances i think the recording works with the material/performance, the distortion helps beef up the 2 piece. The playing/singing seems tight and you documented the moment which is what it's all about.

Back