Ears that hear this can tell me....

Whatcha think? Good or bad I'd love to get some opinions.

This was recorded entirely on my 1.3 gig (o/c'd to 1.5) Celeron 512 ram win2k system. Audigy Platinum sound card. Tracked with CWPA 9.0. Drums put together with Acid 3.0 and a variety of DX plugins. Recorded, mixed and mastered in 16/44. All instruments and vocals done my me...so iffin no one likes it, I got no one else to blame!

Used 1 Shure SM58 mic and zero guitar amps. All guitar tracks were played thru the digital out on the Genesis 3.

momma

First listening : (typing while listening)

Guitar is kinda oversaturated, underlying strings are mixed well.

I like the melodic material.

Single singer's Vox is UNDERMIXED, that means bring down the instruments.

Vocal harmonies are fine, good.

Good build up to the hard stuff.

Vocals and other noise mixed well.

As this new verse material comes in the vocals are understandable, good pronunciation.

I understand this style demands a close level mixing of the 'noisy instruments' and the vocals.

A little too much saturation of reverb on the guitar, sounds almost contrived.

You good enough where you don't have to drench yourselves in all the effects, back off on the effects a little.

Good 'sing-yelling' on the Whooooaaaaaa-ohaaaa

good intonation and well mixed.

This next lyric section is so much better and tighter than the rest of the tune.

Try starting the session at this point, and work forward and backwards of this point.

Ok, nice guitar solo, relax while playing these drums, get with your click track.

Not exactly my style, but a good effort for a one man band.

SECOND LISTENING :

The intro reminds me a little of a southern rock epic sound.

Practice just breathing 16 measures, as you listen to the tune. Watch your chest in the mirror move up and down, watch your belly take in air. Get your body together and teh vocals will tighten up A LOT.

Thanks for participating on the http://www.homerecording.com/bbs

stickman!

Pretty good 4 a one man act.
You make maximum use of the gear you have.
Thats really what it's all about.

I LIKED it.
The song sounded very 70's
Ever hear Ritchie Blackmore's other band Rainbow?:)

I didn't like the drum sound, although I'm not sure there's a lot you can do about that. Also don't use that crash so much - keep it for the big hits.

The vocal and backing vocal I thought were great - good mix of melody and power.

I prefer the guitar out a bit more in the heavy parts. I liked the melody of the lead break but that tone didn't do it for me.

Great job though overall. Very smooth sounds

Re: momma

Try starting the session at this point, and work forward and backwards of this point.

Thanks for the insight and opinions. I will do that very thing.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and respond:)

Re: stickman!

Pretty good 4 a one man act.
You make maximum use of the gear you have.
Thats really what it's all about.

I LIKED it.
The song sounded very 70's
Ever hear Ritchie Blackmore's other band Rainbow?:)

Thanks for the kind words. I LOVE old Rainbow but only when Dio was singing. His voice still kicks my ass and Blackmore's playing has always moved me.

Appreciate you taking the time to listen.

I like it stickman, very Blackmore indeed :)

I like! I agree with Bulls re: the crash and studioviols seems to capture my thinking pretty well!

All in all I like - although pay attention to those little things as they make all the difference!

Post more,

:) Q.

I can hear KISS in here as well, drums sound great, really good production, love the guitar solo around 4:00.

Qwerty said:
I like it stickman, very Blackmore indeed :)

I like! I agree with Bulls re: the crash and studioviols seems to capture my thinking pretty well!

All in all I like - although pay attention to those little things as they make all the difference!

Post more,

:) Q.

I shall and thanks much for asking.

This tune and others are going to be released in the fall (I hope) via my website and based on past experience, what usually sounds good to me after eons of hearing these songs over and over again...well I get burned out and tired and make dumb decisions with mixing and mastering. At least that's what's happened in the past.

Real big sound. Nice performances. Good guitar sounds. Good singing.

This is a personal taste thing, but there were a few too many effects on the vocals I thought. Lot's of verb/delay. A song like this no doubt calls for that stuff. I just thought it was a bit heavy.

Harmonies at :51 could be tighter. Some other spots too.

TripleM,

Thanks for listening and sharing your thoughts.

Some days when I listen to the vocals I wonder if they aren't *over-effected* as well. Other times I don't. I recall while tracking and editing the vocals I had to remind myself time and again that if I applied too much verb then the *choir effect* would be lost in a sea of mud.

Maybe one day I can afford to pay a REAL choir to sing these parts and I would only need a touch of verb :)

Again, thanks much for taking the time to listen!

Stickman...you have a good grasp on what it is to play electric guitar in a rock song. I liked your guitar phrasing and general taste as well. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your stuff.

>deepseasquid

The vox kinda reminded me of Sisters Of Mercy for some reason...but I'm only 17, I just vaguely remember listening to them as a kid (I could never listen to track 4, cause it said "mother fucker" in it :D). Not my style of music at all, but this was reeeeeally good for what it was if you ask me, especially for a home recording.

deepseasquid said:
Stickman...you have a good grasp on what it is to play electric guitar in a rock song. I liked your guitar phrasing and general taste as well. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your stuff.

>deepseasquid

Appreciate you taking the time to listen and for your extremely kind words. I will try and get some more stuff up for folks to critique in the weeks ahead.

Momma :cool:

Some Beatles influence here... what song ...? I know the name ... damn... some Rubber Soul thing... it's that intro lick.

Oh well... :cool:

The tracks are dull-ish... just the recording... (kick drum (sample)(?)... vocals... cymbals o.h. mics)

The song is pretty cool, act-ially. Nice singing! Got the almost Ozzy--Gene Simmons thing. "KISS" is a good call...

Very nice acoustic flourishes. Good octaved vocs. A KISS-like production, too. "Beelzebubba" should hear this one. He'd hold up a lighter :cool: Gidge too ;) (even King Elvis)

The rhy guitars are too "bleached" and faded sounding (IMO) need more solidity and color. But, they're well played.

Good melody and composition.

Chad

Back