Early Mornaing Rain Cover By Slipshod

The vocal sounds like it was done on an old timey mic, too much high end on it, sounds like it was done in a different place than the instruments. Was this done 'live' ? Everything sounds panned in the center, but sounds like you might get with a single condensor mic.

Great performances and sounds all around. It does seem a little odd that everything is panned center; I would love to hear each instrument get its own space.

As an aside, I really don't understand when people purposely mix things in mono just because "that's the way they did it back then." We have two ears, so there's really no reason. We never hear things in mono in the real world, yet many people who like to record things all live in one take (which I think is awesome) like to do it in mono just because "that's the way it was done back in the day." It doesn't make sense to me. On the one hand, they want to preserve the live, "natural" feel by tracking it live, but then they're doing something completely unnatural by mixing in mono!

Anyway ... this is not aimed at the OP at all. I have no idea what the circumstances where when you recorded this. It just reminded me of that contradiction I sometimes run into.

Great job on this!

Back