Early Mix of a New song

I love this tune, especially the guitars. Reminds me of Galaxy 500 or Luna. Have you finished it or added vocals? If not, I might suggest keeping the humming parts in sections and adding sparse lyrics to flush out a theme.. Great feel, though. this is among my first posts to the mix clinic, but I hope that helps. I'm gonna check out your Soundcloud page now. You got some talent, man.

I love this tune, especially the guitars. Reminds me of Galaxy 500 or Luna. Have you finished it or added vocals? If not, I might suggest keeping the humming parts in sections and adding sparse lyrics to flush out a theme.. Great feel, though. this is among my first posts to the mix clinic, but I hope that helps. I'm gonna check out your Soundcloud page now. You got some talent, man.

Hey thanks, Jgwire! I love Galaxy 500.

Hey Nola,

Sounds like a good start. I like the tones and separation on everything and it all meshes together well. I could hear a simple bass part playing a steady drone of eighth notes to be honest. I think that would help carry the song nicely.

Fully fleshed out vocals would be good too. Nice to hear something from you again :)

Thanks, Rob. Appreciate the ideas and feedback.

Hey Nola,

Nice to hear another one of yours. I really dig this. You definitely have "a sound" with your stuff, but you manage to do that without really repeating yourself too much (IMO), which isn't always easy to do.

I really dig the major seven IV chord; it works really well in this song. I also love the guitar tones throughout. I really do dig the feedback, too, but IMHO it begins to lose its effectiveness because it's appearing too frequently.

I would say it could definitely use lyrics. The humming is nice, but the song gets a little monotonous with it, whereas lyrics will help to keep things fresh by overlaying different images atop the music. If the song were to be just humming, I think you could shorten it up a bit.

I like the idea of the bass coming in later. Sparse stuff would probably be all it needs.

Take all of this with a grain of salt; it's all just my opinion. :)

I really like your picture too, and I'm glad someone brought that up. It reminds me of my childhood too.

Take Five is an incredible album. I have it on vinyl and listen to it often. He's one of my favorites.

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to hear the final product.

Thanks, Beagle! In the remix I'm working on I've cut out a lot of the feedback b/c I felt the same way after more critical listening. I've also shortened the envelope on a few feedback lines so the timing is better and they hit on accents. The lyrics are done; I just have to record them, and then add bass, which should be easy. Thanks!!

Take Five is an incredible album. I have it on vinyl and listen to it often. He's one of my favorites.

I assumed for the longest time that brubeck must have been the saxophonist since it's the leading instrument/melody, was very surprised he was actually the pianist!

I assumed for the longest time that brubeck must have been the saxophonist since it's the leading instrument/melody, was very surprised he was actually the pianist!

The sax player wrote the main line but thought it was a throwaway. Amazing!

Back