Early Mix of a New song

Sounds good, man. This is exactly how all my songs start out--a chord progression and me humming or singing some scat over the top to work out melody and meter--then come lyrics. I like the chord progression and guitars. The melody is coming along. I could really hear this song with a shuffle or swing feel instead of even eights. It might give you a more propulsive groove. Neat lead guitar.

I could really hear this song with a shuffle or swing feel instead of even eights. It might give you a more propulsive groove. Neat lead guitar.

Thanks, Robus. Do you think I should put in actual lyrics? My lady says yes, but I kind of like the minimal humming thing.

It has a little bit of swing on it, but maybe it could use more. I'm not sure if that's something that can be programmed in after the fact.

I would add lyrics, definitely. It's possible you could program in a swing feel on the drums without retracking guitars--the rhythm guitar at least is mostly on the whole and quarter notes. Varying the spacing of the eighths might work. Ultimately though, it's probably best to retrack everything if you're making a major change to the groove. I can hear a bit of swing in the phrasing of the guitar licks but that hat is playing straight time. You might just try emphasizing the quarters rather than the eights on the hat.

So why are you so depressed?

Nice stuff though. The volume on the vocals, is a tad inconsistent as if you're not staying on the mic.

Who are you looking at in that picture you use for your songs? I assume that you are the little kid on the left, and why does that picture mean so much to you? It's obviously some kind of defining apex of your life.

/just asking

Hi, Pub.

That photo is my older brother. I love him and how happy and innocent he looks.

I'm depressed because of childhood and then bad genetics/illness, so life is a series of compromises instead of being what I want to be. I do have some more upbeat songs in the works, and even a punk album in the works, so hopefully those will be happier. Thanks for listening and saying the song was nice.

I really like the melody and chord progression. This should be a great song. I look forward to seeing what you come up with on the lyric.

Sounds like the beginnings of a good song, for sure i think you should be singing over this you already have melody ideas working. I like the guitar sound and chord progression, the use of feedback is interesting. You said no bass and i think the song works without it, but i think it would be cool to add bass after the break, in the second half of the song to spice up the arrangement. I would have never guessed any relation to "take five", i think your safe from any accusations...I saw mention of that photo you use and i also was struck by it a while back, it gives a feeling of 70's nostalgia and a little sadness, glad someone brought it up.

I really like the melody and chord progression. This should be a great song. I look forward to seeing what you come up with on the lyric.

Hey, thanks Jimi. The lyrics are complete; just have to find time and privacy to do them.

Sounds like the beginnings of a good song, for sure i think you should be singing over this you already have melody ideas working. I like the guitar sound and chord progression, the use of feedback is interesting. You said no bass and i think the song works without it, but i think it would be cool to add bass after the break, in the second half of the song to spice up the arrangement. I would have never guessed any relation to "take five", i think your safe from any accusations...I saw mention of that photo you use and i also was struck by it a while back, it gives a feeling of 70's nostalgia and a little sadness, glad someone brought it up.

Thanks, Strat. Interesting thoughts on bass. What I will do is try some ideas and see if they work. I was thinking really sparse open bass with maybe just a counter-melody/fills when there's open space, and when there isn't just staccato some notes/accents. Or just do nothing. Oh, and take five...yeah it's nothing like that, but in my head the drum breaks and off accents were inspired by the take five drum solo. thanks for your input!

I think this is a good start. I like the guitar sounds. I like the use of guitar feedback. It'll no doubt sound much better once you get the bass in. To me, it's going in the right direction.

And yes - write lyrics.

Thanks 3M. Do you hear any style of bass in particular? I couldn't, which is why I was thinking no bass. But maybe thinking short notes/phrases with a lot of space in the bass, and maybe adding a complimentary melody in the baseline when the vocals aren't going. Like a counter point. I couldn't envision much else in my head.

I'll have to mess with it this weekend.

Hi, Pub.

That photo is my older brother. I love him and how happy and innocent he looks.

I'm depressed because of childhood and then bad genetics/illness, so life is a series of compromises instead of being what I want to be. I do have some more upbeat songs in the works, and even a punk album in the works, so hopefully those will be happier. Thanks for listening and saying the song was nice.

Well whatever it is that drives you, I do like all the songs I've heard so far.

Cheers.

I like it. If you hadn't mentioned there was no bass I wouldn't have noticed. Nice laid back vibe. I'm not fussed about lyrics personally but I do like a vocal melody so the humming works for me. I like feedback but here it's a bit misplaced as in my narrow view of how the universe should operate feedback should precede a balls out lead break, the trigger that gets the anticipatory juices flowing with expectation

Thanks 3M. Do you hear any style of bass in particular? I couldn't, which is why I was thinking no bass.

Um, yes. I do. I'd like to even lay it down for you, then let you decide. Let me know. I would go with lyrics though, based on the structure here. If you decide to let me try bass, then just let me know if the sections without humming will be lyric free or not.

Um, yes. I do. I'd like to even lay it down for you, then let you decide. Let me know.

That would be cool!
I can't promise I'd use it, but I'd love to hear the idea.
Edit: yes, the parts without humming will be lyric free.

Last edited:
I think its a good start, would like to hear what it would sound like with an acoustic, maybe conga drums. You said no bass which is why I think acoustic. I get the brother angle, I lost mine in 07 and its still pretty raw sometimes. being an old monitor tech the feedback makes me want to snatch a EQ fader down. lol.

Great song, Nola, definitely heading in the right direction. I agree to add lyrics, but I would sparsely add a little hummimg in just a few parts, because it does sound nice and has a nice feel to it, like a "post"-chorus thing. But again, sparse and quick, as not to hang on it too long. But it does have a nice vibe, so I would try to work a little in.

Very peaceful, intimate vibe overall, the guitars sound really good. Is there a hint of tremolo on them? If not, something else must be going on that's tricking me to think there is. Nice arrangement of chords with those Major 7ths I'm hearing.

Looking forward to the finished vocal version :thumbs up:

Great song, Nola, definitely heading in the right direction. I agree to add lyrics, but I would sparsely add a little hummimg in just a few parts, because it does sound nice and has a nice feel to it, like a "post"-chorus thing. But again, sparse and quick, as not to hang on it too long. But it does have a nice vibe, so I would try to work a little in.

Very peaceful, intimate vibe overall, the guitars sound really good. Is there a hint of tremolo on them? If not, something else must be going on that's tricking me to think there is. Nice arrangement of chords with those Major 7ths I'm hearing.

Hey Johnny! Thanks. Yeah, it's just a tiny bit of tremolo from the Princeton to give a little shimmer.
Good ear catching the 7ths (also 6ths and 9ths!).

I think its a good start, would like to hear what it would sound like with an acoustic, maybe conga drums. You said no bass which is why I think acoustic. I get the brother angle, I lost mine in 07 and its still pretty raw sometimes. being an old monitor tech the feedback makes me want to snatch a EQ fader down. lol.

Thanks for the feedback, Atkron. Sorry about your brother.
I'll rework the feedback envelope to tighten it up on the final mix.

Hey Johnny! Thanks. Yeah, it's just a tiny bit of tremolo from the Princeton to give a little shimmer.
Good ear catching the 7ths (also 6ths and 9ths!).=QUOTE]

That's a nice sounding amp. What guitar did you use through it? Sounds great.

(For some reason I screwed up the quote bubble :facepalm:)

Hey Nola,

Sounds like a good start. I like the tones and separation on everything and it all meshes together well. I could hear a simple bass part playing a steady drone of eighth notes to be honest. I think that would help carry the song nicely.

Fully fleshed out vocals would be good too. Nice to hear something from you again :)

Back