Drum mp3 suggestions

astoebe

Hey, my newly formed band just started making a demo. This is my first time trying to get a quality drum sound, so I would really like some suggestions on how to make this better. I have a clip of the drums with an acoustic guitar below...any suggestions would be appreciated!

andrew

http://people.clemson.edu/~astoebe/drums.html

edit: sorry, i forgot...here is how I am micing

- 2 MXL 991's in xy overhead
- old shure mic on the snare (i chose it because it's very bright)
- MXL 990 in the kick (i'm aware this isn't a good choice)

I know that I'm not going to get superb results with my mic selection, but I'm young and poor so that's all I have right now.....one day i'll have a good job and get nicer stuff.

so pretty much any suggestions to make it better (please don't suggest new equipment because that's not possible for me right now)

Last edited:
Can you tell us how you recorded the drums ? Mics, placements, etc.

Without that info, here is a stab at it:

The snare is a bit woofy in my opinion. Less meat and more crack. Probably mildly pulling down the frequencies centered around 125-250 and mildly pulling up the frequencies around 6-8KHz.

The kick seems also a bit woofy but that is ok for a kick. But to round it out, find where the "click" of the beater is and pulling it up EQ might help give it more "bip".

Some stereo imaging would help.

I really like the hi hat sound you are getting. Sounds nice, full and crisp. Are those by any chance 14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats hats ?

Sush

thanks for the help....no, the high hats are just Sabian B8 pros

oh also, i have the overheads panned some, you think i should pan more?

Gotta say that snares a bit loud, but I like the dry yet woofy sound on it, its just different. Bass drum isn't too bad for a 990, but with the snare up that loud I get distracted and can't here the bass drum too much. I'd say you can pan the overheads more, but frankly it sounds pretty good and there is nothing saying you have to pan it more. Really you have to keep in mind that stuff sounds good naturally so you don't have to effect or edit the shit out of something because you have a "crappy" mic collection. You've got some condensers, and you've got a kit that you like the sound of...? You'll be surprised how if you sit just doing levels for an hour, how much better your mixes will sound.

Ben

Back