Drum Mix Suggestions

jhadden1412

Hey All,

So I released this track a couple weeks ago but after having some time away from it there are a couple things about the mix that are really bugging me, specifically the drums. There is a lot of cymbal bleed and I think I'll need to re-gate the tom tracks etc.. and possibly remix the snare. The snare is a little pork pie, so it'll be high and "clanky" no matter what but I'm wondering what I can do with EQ to help subdue that and maybe give it a bit more umph? Also, I'm thinking the bass may be too quite. Thoughts? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. I really want these songs to have the best mixes possible.

https://soundcloud.com/sunbather-1/pilot-guide

The cymbals are a little brash in the 4-8k range but otherwise I don't hear a huge problem in the drums. Mostly I hear too much rumble and not enough definition from the bass and it's really muddying up the mix.

Yeah the cymbals are too bright and hissy. The hiss might be exacerbated by SoundCloud. But it's something that needs attention. The snare had a cool sound. I might not like that sound on a lot of mixes. But on this tune it sounded good. Kick had a nice tight sound.

I liked the guitars. But they tend to be a bit loud and crowd out the vocal. I like the vocal. The singer has a nice voice.

The bass was a little bit rumbly and indistinct.

A bit muddy and boomy. The levels on the lead vocal are inconsistent and the lyrics indistinct. That's the biggest problem I heard with the mix. Before I worried much about boosting frequencies on the bass, I'd get that lead vocal problem sorted out.

Back