The Dreaming...(instrumental version)

Stevie_M

A few weeks ago I posted this track and got a lot of mixed reviews regarding the vocals. After a lot of thought, I'm strongly considering dumping the vocals entirely and leaving this track as an instrumental only. I originally wrote this song as an instrumental and I feel like the vocals ultimately distract from the sound.

I also made some subtle enhancements to the guitar tone and beat programming.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the instrumental vs vocal version. Vox version is on my Soundcloud. Any feedback would be massively appreciated. Thanks again.

I listened to the original, and liked it. The song sort of loses a real focus without the vocal. As in instrumental there's plenty of room for more guitar lead fills/meandering, maybe a melodic bassline too, a few extra highlights to hold attention and fill it out a bit, but i suppose that's a bit at odds with your original concept, and could just as well end up sounding contrived. I think with instrumentals, unless something is glaringly bad or out of place, most people will not listen closely enough to the arrangement or performance to pick up on the intricate details you hear in your own performance as a musician. Just speaking from personal experience, i.e. my voice and attempts to use it suck and most people find my songs boring :o

I think pulling the vocal really highlighted the simplicity and sparseness of the instrumental, and that beat really became dominant. It becomes a pretty loose and ambient soundscape. I guess that's the reverse way of saying "I originally wrote this song as an instrumental and I feel like the vocals ultimately distract from the sound"
I liked the vocal version better - all entirely subjective.

A few weeks ago I posted this track and got a lot of mixed reviews regarding the vocals. After a lot of thought, I'm strongly considering dumping the vocals entirely and leaving this track as an instrumental only. I originally wrote this song as an instrumental and I feel like the vocals ultimately distract from the sound.

I also made some subtle enhancements to the guitar tone and beat programming.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on the instrumental vs vocal version. Vox version is on my Soundcloud. Any feedback would be massively appreciated. Thanks again.

I'd work at removing, or at least reducing, the great big finger squeaks in the reverb.

I can see why you'd want to shitcan the vocals on this as the lyrics are kind of clunky and uncomfortable in places ("Hold your hand to the fire/if you think I'm a liar"? Really?). But I'm not sure this really holds much interest as an instrumental either...plus, well, the last minute or so sounds more like a direct theft without the yeahyeahwhoawhoas.

Back