download our album - for free!

jonbd

Well, my band have finished recording and mixing our album, so I thought i'd shamelessly pimp it here by sticking the whole thing up in mp3 format for anyone who wants a listen. We're called Broken Daylight and the album is called "Fine Lines and Narrow Margins". Grab it here:

http://www.brokendaylight.com/zeus

Mixing wise it's not the best. The guitars are too tinny, and the drums aren't as good as we would like.

cheers

jon

The guitars sound really good.. quite heavy. I'm not crazy about the way the vocals sound, though. also the high hat sounds..umm.. almost "fake" i guess, it's hard to describe.
really, if it's a home recording i'd say you did a really great job, if it's studio work then i'd say you probably got what you paid for.

thanks for that! It was something we knocked up ourselves over various evenings when we had the time. We've been tweaking our recording and mixing techniques since then and I think we are starting to get the hang of things with the recordings we are doing since this one

Sounds good. The guitars are reall meatty. what tuning is that? Drop C?
Maybe a bit too much hi end on one of the guitars.
Sounds like it could do with some proper amstering though as it sounds like their is some pumping from compression (i can notice it on the guitars and vox a bit i think). It sounds likethe song has lost some quality from too much limiting at mastering stage.
Good stuff though. First song is ok, good mix.

Jon,

I really like the singer's voice... nicely done.

I would say the biggest problems to my ears are that 1) everything is WAYYYY over compressed... the vocals are getting squeezed to death in quiet passages as are the drums and 2) there isn't much beef in the low to mid range. The kick is really 'clicky' and doesn't have any body to it and the snare sounds good, but doesn't have any bottom end to it.

Just my $0.02.

Velvet

Thanks for the comments, i think you're right on all of the points you've made. I'm gonna try and remix it, just for myself to get a bit more practice in, see if I can get my head around all this mixing business!! Oh, and the guitar are in drop d.

Fek, thats impressive getting drop D to sound sooo meaty.
What was your guitar set up? Did your track the guitars yourself?

Yeah, we tracked them ourselves. We used guitars with seymour duncan invaders going into a pod live xt with the metal pack installed for it

I'm listening to it right now. I noticed some generic hardcore riffage in there, which makes me frown. But overall, I like what I hear. The singing style (not the voice) reminds me of Anberlin. Lots of potential here, keep it up.

I like the songs, the singer is pretty good!

Seems like the balance is off a bit. Seems like the highs are a tad to high and the mids and lows need to come up a bit.

Great stuff. Let me know when you get it fixed!

thanks for the tips! I've not heard of Anberlin before, i'll have to check them out!! Might have another crack at mixing this weekend, see if I can take apply all the help you lot have given me!!

No way that is "fake" guitars! It totally sounds like an amp you used, thats impressive guys. (Jealous emoticon)

Back