Down-N-Out -Original Blues/Rock

I thought it worked, but was on the cusp/loose.

Update: I had my GF listen, and she felt take 1 was out of time a bit. She thought take 2 was better.

Nola, yes I had a hard time getting everything to be on time on the first version. I could have done some waveform editing to get it to line up, but all the other editing with drumming would have been a pain in the ass. Like I said I can still go back and do that if the groove suffers that much. He was really close to being on time but it was off enough to make it a little difficult.

This one sounds tighter, yes. Personally, I like crashes/rides in choruses. In this here tune, I would've kept the ride in the chorus, or maybe tried a cymbal, mostly because you have that fill that uses the open hats. To accentuate that, I'd change up the time keeping cymbal being used so it isn't too much of one thing. Like I said earlier, that's why it's hard to say to someone how to play or write something. There's a whole vibe/song in mind and the way someone plays it is their expression and how they're hearing it. It's your tune and I'm not sure how you want it to be...

But, again, I did think this one was tighter and the verses had a better energy.

I **usually** use a ride in choruses unless I want it really heavy sounding. With the song being so slow, not sure the hats are working anyway. I will go back and see how the ride sounds with the crashes now...which I think add a lot of energy on their own. I do think the second version sounds tighter, but like Nola mentioned, it is more rigid and just adds to the "programmed" feel which was what I didn't really set out to do.

Sorry but it still sounds too disjointed to me. The intro has a couple snare hits that are just off.........too far out of pocket. Unfortunately it throws me off right from the start and never orients me to the actual groove I think you wanted to come across. The track does have it's moments where it's solid and the feel is obvious........but then it goes just slightly astray again.

Your vocal is a bit too low as well. Is that by design? And hey.........this is just my opinion..........and it may not be worth much;)

Sorry but it still sounds too disjointed to me. The intro has a couple snare hits that are just off.........too far out of pocket. Unfortunately it throws me off right from the start and never orients me to the actual groove I think you wanted to come across. The track does have it's moments where it's solid and the feel is obvious........but then it goes just slightly astray again.

Your vocal is a bit too low as well. Is that by design? And hey.........this is just my opinion..........and it may not be worth much;)

#allopinionsmatter

Thanks for the listen. Yes I have to fix that first fill timing issue. I fixed some of the timing issues in the updated file that is posted above somewhere, but have a long way to go.

So I changed that first fill.....still not sure if its exactly on time...what do you all think?

Also, I realized that the kick was missing on some of the beats in the verses so I added those which seems to get it into the groove a little better. Still need to go back and re-do vocals with new groove as I think its a little off.

I decided to keep hats in chorus. I tried the ride and it just wasn't working to my ears.

Here is the latest one:

Sounds nice-the beginning is confusing rhythmically, hard to get a grasp on the beat for a few seconds. Once the singing starts-all good. Sometimes the kick drum is distracting-either for it's sound or some of the hits not sounding precise. I like the wailing guitars, makes for a nice memorable music hook. Vocals sound a little buried but they shouldn't be super loud either, personal preference stuff. Cool and mean sounding groove, enjoyed it.

Sounds nice-the beginning is confusing rhythmically, hard to get a grasp on the beat for a few seconds. Once the singing starts-all good. Sometimes the kick drum is distracting-either for it's sound or some of the hits not sounding precise. I like the wailing guitars, makes for a nice memorable music hook. Vocals sound a little buried but they shouldn't be super loud either, personal preference stuff. Cool and mean sounding groove, enjoyed it.

Hey Strat, thanks for listening and commenting. I hear you about beginning. I listened to it about 10 times on my way to work and something still isn't jiving. Do you think it's the intro fill? I know that the first fill is still off. Ugh!

I listened to the updated link with edits. This is really good Bruthish. With the keys and the baritone vocal it kind of reminds me of the Doors blusier stuff (which I really like). I wouldn't change a thing.

I listened to the updated link with edits. This is really good Bruthish. With the keys and the baritone vocal it kind of reminds me of the Doors blusier stuff (which I really like). I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks Jimi! I really appreciate the listen and comment! I will have to look at the Doors stuff and see how they compare!

I love the vibe. Vocals and guitar sound good. The drums just sound off...maybe partly timing but I feel like the choice of drum pattern your drummer used just doesn't fit the song.

Well recorded though. Particularly like the distorted vocals in the chorus

Fro those still listening...here is my latest version. I tightened up the kick and some other things. I also tightened up the drum beats. Thanks for listening...I have to step away from this one for a bit....

Didn't read the comments, but here is what I am hearing.

Pretty cool mix, not sure I love the drum level (I do and I don't. on the fence). I love how that lead lays in the back, but yet really clear. Kind of wish your vocals were more upfront. Actually a lot more upfront. As a matter of fact, should be in your face.

Cool tune, but it feels it should be about the vocals (and they are good) with everything else supporting.

Kind of wish your vocals were more upfront. Actually a lot more upfront. As a matter of fact, should be in your face.

Thought the same. I don't recall the verse vocals being this way before. They are distant and maybe even leaning L?

Didn't read the comments, but here is what I am hearing.

Pretty cool mix, not sure I love the drum level (I do and I don't. on the fence). I love how that lead lays in the back, but yet really clear. Kind of wish your vocals were more upfront. Actually a lot more upfront. As a matter of fact, should be in your face.

Cool tune, but it feels it should be about the vocals (and they are good) with everything else supporting.

Hey Brother! Good hearing from you! Thanks for listening and commenting! Interesting about needing louder vocals. If you can imagine a pyramid with the top having what I love and feel the most confident in, guitar would be the top and below that would be the bass and so forth. But way way below, say 100 feet in the ground would be vocals! I just don't have confidence in my singing so I guess maybe subconsciously I bury them more than I should. I do however think they were not at a bad level, I just don't put a priority on them. For sake of experimenting, next time I get to sit and play with it I will bring them up and see what it sounds like! Thanks again!

Thought the same. I don't recall the verse vocals being this way before. They are distant and maybe even leaning L?

Weird. I haven't touched the vocals AT ALL on this mix. However, I did notch the bass around 46hz hoping to level out the loudness of the Gb note. I think it may have had bad effect on the bass in general and may need to just automate the volume instead. Also, I changed the kick and reduced the envelope volume after the hit. The old kick had a long one. So not sure if that opened things up so it appears to be more LEFT then right, but I can easily fix that. Thanks again!

Ok this is the last of it...I need to move on lol

For the first time ever I smashed the bass with a limiter to try and even out louder notes without automating them. I also compressed hard guitars which seemed to bring them out better. Added a guitar swell into hard parts for better transition.

Also, raised vocals 2db

Back