Does my voice have potential to develop into something more?

geet73

OMG!

I did not write this song. It written by a friend. I just recorded it to work on my singing a bit. The song itself is about the cartoon "Doug" that used to be on Nickelodeon.

Now the excuses..

Currently, I'm getting a cold. I've also been up for 22 hours now. I'm not really worried about how the recording sounds.

I just started singing backups in one of my bands within the past few months. In these few months, I feel that I've improved a lot, with pitch and breath control.

I think that my voice sounds goofy as hell. Do you think that if I took lessons or something, I could learn how to work it so it doesn't sound quite so goofy? or should I just stick to backup vocals? Heh.

Thanks in advance. If you think my voice sounds like shit, let me know. :)

For what it's worth... here's my advice on singing.... start with your own voice, your accent, then blend in the singing side of things until it starts to sound good, and it will cos you'll sound more raw and less goofy as you say....

but hell you can sing already... okay the take isn't perfect and I can hear the cold in your voice, but you're singing, you're doing it.. if you can learn to relax and stop worrying, you know, learn to trust your instrument you'll probably sound better already.

I liked the song too... but can you write your own songs? Cos if you can nobody can tell you how to sing them.... you just say that's the way it was meant to be sung... you might feel less pressure being a songwriter who is merely letting people hear his own work rather than a vocalist who only exists to be a good singer...

It is pretty raw. This is a functional voice for punk/emo, if that's your goal. I think with some work, it should improve. Most of the harmonies sounded nice. Keep it up.

sounds good to me, maybe a little rigid, anxious? not sure. what the f#$% do I know. it sounds good but you don't sound relaxed. maybe that's what I'm thinking.

by the way, this place rocks. it's nice to hear others at all different stages and to be able to hear their strengths and weakness's. it definitely gives me some insight to my own stuff being able to look in at others from the outside.

I think your voice sounds good, and the song is good too. You have a little bit of the promise ring's singers' voice, but a little less whiney. I think I would have to agree with everyone else you just need some more confidence in your voice.

I think your voice has lots of personality. Your delivery is really quite entertaining and appealing. In some kinds of music, technical perfection can actually get in the way of getting the message across. After hearing this song, I'd be inclined to listen to another one from you.

your cold +22 hours awake makes your voice difficult to judge. This is a slow song with its harmony and it's a pity your voice isn't clearer - but in tune. Just a bit too husky for me - which makes Scrub's comments make sense.

p.s I think the lyrics are original whoever wrote them.

From a singer to another - Afrin 12-hour nasal decongestant should be on hand.

It's a nice mock-up but you can do better..... you know it.

More dynamics/emotion would be nice.. there's some around 2:56 or so, but I want you to give us goosebumps with a superior delivery.

awesome lyrics. i absolutely love this song, , i really miss that show, i used to watch it everyday as a kid, and you know what else i miss, rocko's modern life.

Heh. Rocko's Modern Life was a goood show.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I guess I should start sucking it up and stop being quite so nervous to sing. If I record any more songs myself, I'm sure I'll post them here.

i don't hear the nervousness, but rather a nasal sound that seems to be occuring because of your cold. :) let's hear this again when you're healthy!

Um, I think your voice is decent at best, it does have its shining moments. I would suggest practicing, trying to keep on pitch. It has potential for some type of music, and has a good range. Also, if you were wanting any critique on the track overall, it is clipping like crazy...watch your levels

perfect...

for what you're doing, dude.

Don't sweat it another second. You're doing a pop-punk-emo thing and your voice is totally working for it.
Someone mentioned earlier, the imperfections are part of the whole "thing"

Honestly this kind of music which I am a fan of is about wearing your heart AND your balls on the outside and just going for it. Flaws and all.

put it out there.

Another post - Another 2 cents

Bigsnake00 said:
Um, I think your voice is decent at best, it does have its shining moments. I would suggest practicing, trying to keep on pitch. It has potential for some type of music, and has a good range. Also, if you were wanting any critique on the track overall, it is clipping like crazy...watch your levels

It wasn't doing tooo bad in Cubase. It went into the red a tiny bit. Oh well. I'm not too concerned. :)

I can stay on pitch with held out notes with no problems, it's just the faster stuff that gets me.

Thanks for being honest, seriously.

Shookie, I won't be singing pop-punk/emo/whatever stuff too often. My band is somewhat like that.. just not nearly as simple/generic-ish. Eh.

Currently were going through some problems with our singer.. the bassist and I may be taking over vocal duties. Eep. I'm not so sure we'll be able to pull it off. Everything's worth a try though, right? Heh.

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Back