Dinosaur Jr -- Tarpit (Cover)

I'm sure the best modern amp sims are right about there now, I've never used them though.

I do use amp sims for coming up with scratch tracks and writing - getting the arrangement worked out and the changes under my fingers. Then I find I can normally do a the proper versions in very few takes.

Been meaning to get to this for forever Nola. I think it was kinda fun hearing the song in this kind of strung out vein, but I feel the mix overall is lacking the intensity and energy of the original. I agree that the sims probably aren't helping as they seem to kill the dynamics - I don't have much sims experience though. Are you able to record DI and then re-amp? I don't know what your noise limitations with regard to neighbours are, but could they withstand a few minutes blast as you record the mic'd up re-amp playback? I think more volume and less gain would give a bit more energy to the guitar sound.

Not to say this wasn't a fun listen - kinda early Pavement more than Dinosaur Jr if I was doing a blind test. Hope this helps.

Been meaning to get to this for forever Nola. I think it was kinda fun hearing the song in this kind of strung out vein, but I feel the mix overall is lacking the intensity and energy of the original. I agree that the sims probably aren't helping as they seem to kill the dynamics - I don't have much sims experience though. Are you able to record DI and then re-amp? I don't know what your noise limitations with regard to neighbours are, but could they withstand a few minutes blast as you record the mic'd up re-amp playback? I think more volume and less gain would give a bit more energy to the guitar sound.

Not to say this wasn't a fun listen - kinda early Pavement more than Dinosaur Jr if I was doing a blind test. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Rob. That's exactly what I plan to do (Re-amp). My gf is getting me a re-amp box for Christmas, so at that point I'll re-amp it. I think it will open things up a lot. The sims crushed the dynamics and bite of the guitar. When I try to clean up the guitars using sims, they get brittle, so I have to go through a real amp for this one. I also want to redo the vocal and try to give it more energy.

The original has very thin guitars and an oppressive kick drum that both drive the song. It'll be hard to do all that as a one man band, but I think I can get closer than this mix. I'll repost it after Christmas!

Back