Did I over mix this?

grn

I've been working on this one for awhile and I can't tell if I did too much. I kept juicing it and juicing it and now I can't tell if it's just a jumbled muddy mess or the lyrics are even intelligible. I definitely need some more ears on it. Thanks in advance for any critiques.

If you're asking if you over-mixed it, I'd think that the question we'll all need answered first is, what sound were you going for? What sort of baseline mix are you trying to emulate? I'm getting kind of a Beatles-esque pop songwriting vibe via late 90s pop/rock arrangement via modern hard rock production vibe. It sounds clean and clear, but it also might be a little sterile.

As is, the things that seem to pop out to me is that the low end (bass/kick and some of those toms) feel like they might be pumping a little. What does your compression look like?

Nice energy in the track. Good harmony lines.

The mix is missing some high end. The vocals are all a little muffled.

The lead guitar is missing a bunch of high end. So are the clean rhythm guitars.

The bass was rumbly and indistinct.

I like the way it starts cold....right into it. I hear lots of mid-eq and not much high end..especially the guitars. The ending is a little abrupt. Maybe a little echo or reverb on last word without making it cheesy or cliched. Nothing wrong with a super short song, IMO. I can hear you put a lot of time and effort into the mix, and without hearing the other versions, I'd say it's almost there. Just needs some EQ tinkering, as others have noted. I don't hear the over-compression, but then again, over compressing was a main thing folks pointed out in my mixes, so what do I know? I love the harmonies... with the descending lines. sweet. Like the little yelp before the break/lead. sounds natural. Actually, on hearing it a second time, I'm hearing a more -lo-fi feel than what the mix is now -- but that may not be what you're going after. But it's difficult to "make" a song sound lo-fi when it isn't and still keep it from sounding forced.

Great song again-performances excellent. Sounds kinda low-midrangey to me overall-the guitars(autoharp?) are confusing as you're playing ukuelele range notes with alot of midrange right into the vocal range. Snare or drums in general seem like they could be brightened, i like the bass but it doesn't sound like it's working with the kick, not much click to define the kick drum. Most people like their vocals more out front than me and with your performances and a great melody i can't blame you so i'll say anyway i would have sat the vocals more into the mix. Really great tune and the mix is right there to me. Alot of personality and style, nice work!

Back