Diana Light The Moon Reprise

Hey Rob - listened to the new mix a couple of times and it sounds good. I didn't have much problem with the first one, but now I think maybe I do hear some buildup in the mids somewhere? Sounded ok through my tracking phones, but through speakers it sounded more crowded almost? Not sure if that is new or was there all along...

What did I actually do on this anyway? lol I know I did the distorted tremolo guitar strumming those chords...did I do the slide? It was a while ago now.

Thanks again Pete, I'm guessing you're probably pretty sick of hearing this tune now in whatever form it comes! I promise there won't be a third version... ;)

I'm not 100% sure myself which are all your parts and which are mine any more! The distorted tremelo is definitely you. I think there are two slide parts on the track and one of them is you and one is me - I can't remember which is which though. You also did some pickscrape noise that sits quite low in the early part.

I've updated the soundcloud link with a new mix. I could hear some harshness on headphones - part of it was probably due to pushing the limiter a bit harder on the update. I dialed that back and notched out some harsh things and made a few other tweaks. Starting to lose perspective on this one now, so getting harder to make changes and know whether they're for the better or not! Thanks for coming back in :)

Listening to second mix...

It's a fuller mix. More energy in the 100hz-250hz area.

Sounds a bit wider too.

I'd say it's a nice job.

Listened to the 4/27 mix. Still a bit pushy in the midrange. I turn up the volume of my monitors and then listen for anything that makes me want to turn them down. Notice what happens around that spoken word part in your opening. It is sounding like you've got a tremendous amount of energy in the boxy frequencies, not just from the vocal but the supporting instruments around it. I think those frequencies are your problem throughout the song. I don't know whether this is coming from the individual tracks or whatever you are doing on the mix bus.

Listening to second mix...

It's a fuller mix. More energy in the 100hz-250hz area.

Sounds a bit wider too.

I'd say it's a nice job.

Excellent, thanks for listening back in Trip. Your feedback was really helpful - got me focused the bottom end. I initially turned up the bass, but as I started clearing up other parts there was more space in that area and I ended up turning it back down a bit again. Helpful re the spread too, I'd pan something elsewhere and it was suddenly too loud, so some frequency masking on those first two mixes I think.

Appreciated your help on this :)

Listened to the 4/27 mix. Still a bit pushy in the midrange. I turn up the volume of my monitors and then listen for anything that makes me want to turn them down. Notice what happens around that spoken word part in your opening. It is sounding like you've got a tremendous amount of energy in the boxy frequencies, not just from the vocal but the supporting instruments around it. I think those frequencies are your problem throughout the song. I don't know whether this is coming from the individual tracks or whatever you are doing on the mix bus.

Ah bugger! Read Trip's comments and thought I could finally put this mix to rest! Mids sounded a lot smoother to me in the couple of places I tried it, but if they're still coming through as pushy then it sounds like I might still have work to do. I'm not really doing anything much on the mix bus (a small eq cut and a limiter), and there isn't really that much processing throughout the individual tracks - no eq boosts and not much compression. Some of it may be that the old tron sounds and guitars amped from a small dark leaning tube amp are just a bit middy anyway, and I'm not good enough to compensate for that in the mix. It may also be the limiter still overheating things. I'll take another look at that. Thanks a lot for coming backn in again Robus.

i thought this was a pretty cool piece, rob. i still think the bass is too low. my opinion of mix is that there's an imaginary rectangle where you're placing things, and bass should be on the floor, and in this song the bass feels on the horizon to me. some of the sounds in the middle are too loud to me, and i'd place them a bit further or softer so it's all more distinct, but that's also subjective. there's a lot going on so it's hard to pinpoint which one. the left speaker generally feels louder than the right, and there's a more piercing sound there (is that a guitar or distorted synth?). maybe check that in software.

btw my best friend worked on that pavement mix with you, and he and work on stuff together he lives nearby, but he doesn't post here anymore and told me to say sorry he lost touch. i was supposed to sing on that but wound up doing the lead guitar b/c i couldn't get my vocal in range.

i thought this was a pretty cool piece, rob. i still think the bass is too low. my opinion of mix is that there's an imaginary rectangle where you're placing things, and bass should be on the floor, and in this song the bass feels on the horizon to me. some of the sounds in the middle are too loud to me, and i'd place them a bit further or softer so it's all more distinct, but that's also subjective. there's a lot going on so it's hard to pinpoint which one. the left speaker generally feels louder than the right, and there's a more piercing sound there (is that a guitar or distorted synth?). maybe check that in software.

Hi Nola, thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. In the past, my mixes were always too bassy, now they're too middly! The next batch will be too trebly and eventually I'll hit balance...

I wasn't going to attempt another mix at this time, but with yours and Robus's comments in mind, I got drawn back in. Pushing up the volume, I could hear the harshness in the mids Robus referred to and the piercing part you mention - it's yet another slide guitar part. Hadn't realised there are like three different ones in total.

I tried increasing the bassline further but it just sounded too dominant. I think this song needs to float a bit and not get too grounded.

The soundcloud link now has a new mix in, with some EQ cuts in various parts to notch out the harshness. There's nothing on the master bus now as I think the limiter was exacerbating the mids problems. So the mix is quieter now, but I think easier on the ears as a result. I'll figure the volume out another day. Listening back now though, I can already here more tweaks needed - like the acoustic being too loud when strumming comes in for example. Argh, this mix.

Thanks man, I appreciate your post. Very helpful :)

Quite simply ! I like it from start to finnish..

Gtrdash, I can say in all sincerity - you have great taste and should post here more often :D

Thanks a lot, that's really nice to hear.

Ey up, Rob.

It's all dreadfully mushy, to my ear. I don't know what you're going for, but this is not great. The panning, eq, separation and orchestration of the mix is simply not there.

I think it's back to the drawing board on this one.

Ey up, Rob.

It's all dreadfully mushy, to my ear. I don't know what you're going for, but this is not great. The panning, eq, separation and orchestration of the mix is simply not there.

I think it's back to the drawing board on this one.

Hey Bubba, thanks for your thoughts and frankness anyway. Is it just the latest mix you're not keen on or the direction in general? I know you replied earlier in the thread, but weren't somewhere you could listen critically.

In all honesty and not saying this because I won't accept criticism etc. but the latest mix sounds close-ish to what I had in mind I think (had always thought of it being a soupy soundscape kind of thing). I think it's sounding better than mix 1, but either way I'm probably at the point of burnout in terms of working on it for the time being. Maybe a break will bring fresh ears. Cheers man.

Last edited:
Hey Bubba, thanks for your thoughts and frankness anyway. Is it just the latest mix you're not keen on or the direction in general? I know you replied earlier in the thread, but weren't somewhere you could listen critically.

In all honesty and not saying this because I won't accept criticism etc. but the latest mix sounds close-ish to what I had in mind I think (had always thought of it being a soupy soundscape kind of thing). I think it's sounding better than mix 1, but either way I'm probably at the point of burnout in terms of working on it for the time being. Maybe a break will bring fresh ears. Cheers man.

I'll give it another listen today, Rob. I felt a bit bad about my comments afterwards. I was feeling pretty crappy, and with good reason, it seems - I had food poisoning and started chucking up not long after.

I'll give it another listen today, Rob. I felt a bit bad about my comments afterwards. I was feeling pretty crappy, and with good reason, it seems - I had food poisoning and started chucking up not long after.

Hey Bubba, coincidently just PM'd you before I saw this. Don't feel bad about it at all, I took it as brutally honest rather than meant with any malice and I'm okay with the former. If you do get chance to listen in again today then great though - as I say I made a few tweaks this morning to at least start addressing the mush, so it would be interesting to hear whether they're moving in the right direction.

Sorry to hear about the food poisoning, that's a complete fucker to deal with. Hope you're on the mend today.

Back