Devil On a Roll

That's ok.. I've been allowed to rewrite a friend's song - I thought it was a little bloated and too busy.
I've managed to shave it down considerably as well as give it a pop sound. It took me 20 months to get there.
Now I'm just figuring out how to record it.. writing bass, drums and (maybe) a very small second guitar part.

When I get to posting a rough copy here, I expect I'll wind up with lots more homework.. :p

That's a cool feature!

Actually, I forgot to mention that you can adjust the complexity of each kit piece, aside from the whole loop. If you want more hi hat action, just nudge the pot up.

Speaking of hi-hat, Ray, check out 1:30. The hi-hat is slamming loudly there. It's actually pretty loud anywhere it's in the open position. Bass sounded more controlled and leveled, but it's still got that tone Nola mentioned - that farty sound - in some spots.

What are you doing with the bass EQ? just wondering

I listened to it this morning on the way to work. Sounds really good on my alpine stereo in my pickup. Good song too. I think the arrangement is great and I like the guitar tones as well.
Good job Robus!

im hearing D..Bowie vocal more than Johnny Cash or Petty?

the recording definitely hasnt been ran through a Loudness Plug In...I thought that was required these days, the Loudness Mastering Plug in. My VU meters are moving nearly as much as classical recordings which isnt allowed is it?
I thought the VU meters are supposed to be pegged at 0 with a few red light blinks?
(just kidding..kind of)

interesting song, I like the structure because it has a lot of stuff going on and isnt a boring 3 chord tune.
refreshing to hear something with dynamics ...I turned up my volume and it sounded louder, it wasnt that hard to do.

good job...

Thanks for the listen. I should have mentioned in the OP that it's just a mix. No mastering at all. Same for every song I post at the Clinic. I've heard so many songs mangled by ham-fisted attempts at mastering to the point where you cannot tell if the mix was good or not, that I've gone in the opposite direction completely. My thinking is, get the mix solid first. Then worry about mastering.

This is the first song I've listened to from you in my brief time here. Amazing muscianship. I know you said it hasn't been mastered yet, but from all your comments, I assumed it would be louder and more in my face -- even unmastered. LOL! It's one of the quietest songs I've heard here. Not that that's bad. Just surprising. I hear Bowie, too. Love all the drum stuff. Great guitar licks. Once I turn it up, it has some real presence. Obviously mixed well. It's beyond my meager abilities to critique, technically, but it was fun to listen to. Lots going on. Well done.

Somehow I missed this one. Yea it's a little busy, not too bad though. It's definitely interesting as it has a small feeling of not really knowing where it's going next.

It definitely has potential though. The guitar tone in the lead just after the 3 minute mark were sweet. Don't get me wrong, they all sound good, but something about that part stood out to me, the melody was cool too. With all the guitar tracks on this you might not even remember what was used there lol.

The mix sounded pretty decent to me, drums could maybe use more oomph, but since your contemplating revisions on the song as a whole there's no need for me to point out anything specific. I thought it sounded pretty good though.

I didn't hear the keyboard that was mentioned at all. You must've taken it out, or lowered it a bunch...

Back