Demo for consideration.

Hi all,
I haven't had much recording on lately but I had to do a quick demo today.

A friend is planning putting an album together out of his recorded backlog but one track being considered was never recorded before.
I've thrown together this real rough effort literally just to see how it would sound and give the track half a chance against the others.
There are a few mistakes and flubs but try to enjoy it anyway. :)

The intro is misleading so, for the impatient, please give it at least 40 seconds.

Here she is. <- Direct link on my server.

or here.

Attachments

• teaser.mp3
    8.8 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Wow, well done...sounds like something that should be in a soundtrack from Ghost Whisperer or something. :)
Love that bass drum sound...i'd call it shuffely, almost completely laid back but with a nice thick presence, I guess. Very jazzy feel drums.

Wow, well done...sounds like something that should be in a soundtrack from Ghost Whisperer or something. :)
Love that bass drum sound...i'd call it shuffely, almost completely laid back but with a nice thick presence, I guess. Very jazzy feel drums.

You're saying all the right things buddy. :)
The fella gave Dylan - Spirit on the water as a reference track.
This was never gonna sound like that track, but I tried to incorporate a little bit of that direction with the jazzier kit etc.
My drums and bass are always the weak point so I did actually try a lot harder on them for this.

Thanks. :)

Forgot to say. I can't play lead guitar worth a piss! Someone else will be doing that. :p

I'm with ya there. Got a buddy named DJ Bradley (was a Gold Ticketer once) that can flame a neck if I ever need it, and my brother is doing the tame stuff that I write.

Made me feel kind of like when I cried like a bitch after seeing Titanic. Very moody.

You have a very nice speak-singing voice.

Made me feel kind of like when I cried like a bitch after seeing Titanic. Very moody.

You have a very nice speak-singing voice.

LOL. Hilarious.....ya big girl.
Never let go, Schwarzenyaeger!

That's my buddy singing but thanks from him. :)

I'm gradually adding bits as we go here. Quite enjoying this little tune.

LOL. Hilarious.....ya big girl.
Never let go, Schwarzenyaeger!

That's my buddy singing but thanks from him. :)

I'm gradually adding bits as we go here. Quite enjoying this little tune.

Do you have any of his finished stuff?

(I refused to watch The Notebook with an ex for 3 years because I feared I would never stop crying afterwards)

Can't say I liked the song, but that mix/presentation was really was first rate. Sounded like everyone was sitting right in front of the stereo.

Singing was good, instruments good, I just didn't think the words could carry such a sparse songs. Just an opinion, but for song like his you hae to have really good lyrics that makes one fill in the spots. If the words were more visual or thought provoking.

I think the song and presentations works, just needs stronger lyrics to pull it off. IMO.

Can't say I liked the song, but that mix/presentation was really was first rate. Sounded like everyone was sitting right in front of the stereo.

Singing was good, instruments good, I just didn't think the words could carry such a sparse songs. Just an opinion, but for song like his you hae to have really good lyrics that makes one fill in the spots. If the words were more visual or thought provoking.

I think the song and presentations works, just needs stronger lyrics to pull it off. IMO.

Oh wow! I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that about the lyrics.
Fair play, DM60. :)

Thanks for the mix compliments too.

Oh wow! I think that's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that about the lyrics.
Fair play, DM60. :)

Thanks for the mix compliments too.

I think this is a hard style to pull of as stated before. Do it right and it is awesome. This style really is a "get in their head" type song.

Glad it wasn't taken as an insult.

Not at all. I'm too big for all that.
Plus I do everything except the lyric/melody writing and main singing.

You complimented my bit. :p

Don't listen to him, Steenamaroo.

He's obviously a devious skeleton.

Skeleton-at-computer.jpg

Can you link me to some of your guy's other stuff that is similar?

Great lyrics, and it has been really nicely recorded; a wonderful sense of space.

I'm not convinced by the lead guitar bit that came in around 2 minutes.

Structurally, I would have hoped for something more. The chord sequence used for the verse is just a bit too repetitive for my liming, though I concede it suits the lyrics and the general feel of the song.

EDIT: I had read any of the previous comments when I made mine. So I missed the bit about you saying the lead would be redone. I also missed the other comments about the lyrics. On the contrary, I like the way the lyrics were crafted. Maybe the song is missing a more definite hook?

Great lyrics, and it has been really nicely recorded; a wonderful sense of space.

Thanks Gecko. :)

I'm not convinced by the lead guitar bit that came in around 2 minutes.

Aw boo. I love those little squealy bends. :facepalm: The main 'solo' will be cut out and redone though. It sucks. :)

Structurally, I would have hoped for something more. The chord sequence used for the verse is just a bit too repetitive for my liming, though I concede it suits the lyrics and the general feel of the song.

Fair play, and thanks for saying.
I mentioned spirit on the water in the first post...I actually told the guy that the chords were a bit simplistic to really get that feel out of it.
Maybe it's something we'll work and and change up a bit.
Thanks for being honest. :)

Back