Demo for consideration.

Sounds great to me. I'd like a touch more volume on the bass but I'm a bass man so I'm biased in that respect.

Top job and great tune. Classic Pete! :thumbs up:

Sounds great to me. I'd like a touch more volume on the bass but I'm a bass man so I'm biased in that respect.

Top job and great tune. Classic Pete! :thumbs up:

Hey Clean. Thanks for checking in!

I actually quite like the bass tone in this tune so I might just bump it a bit. Cheers for that.

Edit : Done.

Hey, what's wrong with skeletons. Some of my besties are skeletons. Both parents, all my grands & greats, good load of uncles, too. I got a lot o skeletons in MY closet. :D

After all we've been through, and the link doesn't work?
I'm thinking you don't want me to hear your stuff. ;)

What a complete pain in the hole. That means my email is down too..FFS...

Thanks for checking back guys. I'll attach an mp3 shortly.

Bring the intro guitar up and bring it forward too. All those instruments that come in on that first chord could come down a dB each. The guitar that comes in at 'you're prettier than the portraits on the wall' could have less verb on it - it's pushed way back. Then when it solos, it's a bit low and verbed back - it could easily be louder/more forward.

I want to talk about the sound on the vocal, too, but I'll listen to it another time first. I often decide on a second or third pass that something I was gonna comment on is alright after all.

Nice lyrics, man. Good tune.

Hey,
Thanks for listening, Dobro.
The intro and outro vocals you hear are taken from a live youtube video. The guitar you hear is actually just bleed, I think.
I'm not to worried about that for now.

Thanks for the comments on lead guitar. I was kinda smitten with the distant bends but you're the second person to mention them.
Maybe I'll delete and go for something more natural sounding, or at least something closer.
The solo (which sucks) would would follow.

Don't worry about commenting on the vocal at all man.
I appreciate your time but I'm building this mix around a rough vocal (which has been time stretched to the hilt) purely to have something to pitch.

This song may or may not be on an upcoming album but I figured it needed some kind of half produced demo in order to be considered properly.

Cheers. :)

If those are fake drums, you need to write a tutorial for the people that also use fake drums and can't make them sound real. They sound quite convincing to me. I thought they were real and was gonna praise the drummer and drum recording until I read they are fake. So instead I'll just praise you for getting them to sound like a human behind a real kit. Now that I'm really listening to them, really honed in, the dark crashes in the middle sound a little generic (1:28 to 1:38), but seriously, it's nothing to worry about. They're so infrequent and subtle it truly does not matter, and no one on earth would even notice or give a fuck.

The guitar lead needs to go away IMO. It adds nothing to the song, and to me sounds a bit cheesy. Put something else in there. But as it stands, if you have to have it, bring it up in the mix. It actually stands out worse by being too subtle back there. It forces the ear to zero in on it. Let it hide out in plain view.

The vocals have this super exaggerated off-the-mic room sound that to me doesn't sound very good when things are sparse, but once the mix fills in, it sounds really good, so I don't really know what to think about that. Did you change the vocal processing between sparse parts and full mix parts?

The rest of the mix sounds great to me. All of the instrumentation is clean and clear and balanced.

Very nice job overall.

I like it. Listening on headphones I don't hear anything out of place.

I really like the piano and the vocal/lyrics are awesome. I like the lead too honestly but that could just be me.

I thought it was well performed. Nice singing voice.

The mix was *real* quiet. Could use just a bit of limiting.

I liked the vocal tone a lot. The vocal and everything else was real dry, which I also like.

Actually the tone on everything is pretty good.

The only thing I didn't care for was the lead guitar. First it was a bit too quiet relative to the other tracks. I'd make it about as loud as the lead vocal. But it was a bit too wet. I just didn't think it fit with the rest of the song.

If those are fake drums, you need to write a tutorial for the people that also use fake drums and can't make them sound real. They sound quite convincing to me. I thought they were real and was gonna praise the drummer and drum recording until I read they are fake. So instead I'll just praise you for getting them to sound like a human behind a real kit. Now that I'm really listening to them, really honed in, the dark crashes in the middle sound a little generic (1:28 to 1:38), but seriously, it's nothing to worry about. They're so infrequent and subtle it truly does not matter, and no one on earth would even notice or give a fuck.

Greg, that's a lot coming from you. Thanks you. :)
I did put a conscious effort into these drums and that reply validates that effort for me.

The guitar lead needs to go away IMO. It adds nothing to the song, and to me sounds a bit cheesy. Put something else in there. But as it stands, if you have to have it, bring it up in the mix. It actually stands out worse by being too subtle back there. It forces the ear to zero in on it. Let it hide out in plain view.

Can't argue. :( I kinda regret even putting it in now. Thanks.

The vocals have this super exaggerated off-the-mic room sound that to me doesn't sound very good when things are sparse, but once the mix fills in, it sounds really good, so I don't really know what to think about that. Did you change the vocal processing between sparse parts and full mix parts?

Jesus, you don't miss much, huh?
The isolated intro and outdo are different recordings from the bulk of the song, and do have different treatment all together.
There's a pretty obvious room ambience on there which isn't especially nice and it seems to disappear when the drums kick in.....
That's cos it does disappear.
Even the 'main' vocals are still a rough demo track but the recording was a lot cleaner. Well spotted. ;)

The rest of the mix sounds great to me. All of the instrumentation is clean and clear and balanced.

Very nice job overall.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

I like it. Listening on headphones I don't hear anything out of place.

I really like the piano and the vocal/lyrics are awesome. I like the lead too honestly but that could just be me.

Thanks man. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

I thought it was well performed. Nice singing voice.

The mix was *real* quiet. Could use just a bit of limiting.

I liked the vocal tone a lot. The vocal and everything else was real dry, which I also like.

Actually the tone on everything is pretty good.

The only thing I didn't care for was the lead guitar. First it was a bit too quiet relative to the other tracks. I'd make it about as loud as the lead vocal. But it was a bit too wet. I just didn't think it fit with the rest of the song.

Consider it done.
Thanks very much, gents.

I really like this song a LOT, but I think it is still a diamond in the rough. I think most of the comments made are good ones. With some minor changes I'd buy this song in a heartbeat. I don't love certain parts of the lyrics but the story is told wonderfully with that perfect amount of mature emotion. The guitar solo has a lot more room for emotional conveyance but it is set up for a really beautiful passage.

Really great job. It's people like you I wish I could collaborate more with.

I really like this song a LOT, but I think it is still a diamond in the rough. I think most of the comments made are good ones. With some minor changes I'd buy this song in a heartbeat. I don't love certain parts of the lyrics but the story is told wonderfully with that perfect amount of mature emotion. The guitar solo has a lot more room for emotional conveyance but it is set up for a really beautiful passage.

Thank you, Tufacody.
With any luck you might be able to some time soon. :p Based on this demo I think the track has made it onto the future album. :)

Really great job. It's people like you I wish I could collaborate more with.

This is mostly what I do...Building up arrangements for straight-up singer songwriters.
Feel free to fire me a PM sometime. :)

Back