Delilah with Nick and Dave

Typing as I listen. Just woke up, mind you.

There's a little cloudiness in the lead vocal. There's a few timing issues between the bass and kick that are more on the obvious side, I think.
Jangly distorted guitars sound real good. OH's and snare are nice. The rimshot has little effect, it's kinda "blippy"/"thuddy". Is there a cut on the vocals in the 2-5khz range? They seem a little dull, no presence.

The vocals are the biggest issue, for me. But, I'm searching out things, I suppose.

Thanks. Yeah, still working out some EQ issues on the lead vocal. Fixed the timing errors on bass.

Fixed the timing errors on bass.

Ok, wasn't sure if I was being overly picky or not. I typically drag the bass lines closer to the kick, as opposed to the other way around. At least low end edits aren't very obvious. You can be pretty lenient with them and not hear that something was moved.

Listened to mix 18. 18! You sick of this song yet?

If it were me I'd center the country guitar solo in the intro.

Bass sounds great.

Drums sound great.

The reverb on the vocal is bigger and wetter than the rest of the tracks. It pushes it back a bit.

There are spots where the guitar on the right gets kind of loud and covers the vocal a little. Otherwise the balance of the tracks is great.

There is some frequency in the vocal that's a little wooly. I'm thinking it's between 600hz and 800hz.

There are some syllables in the vocal that have some clicky artifacts. The very first syllable - "Delila dear..." There is another one shortly after that. Do you have some processing (EQ, multiband comp?) that's causing it?

Just want to say thanks to the commenters. You guys have been a huge help.

I love the ending to this song - the way it is mixed is perfect. Nice dissolve.

I like where the drums sit in this mix. They are kinda back and it's a good thing. Not a drum centric song.

There are a few places where I think very small adjustments to guitar volumes could help. The guitar sound at 1:15 is awesome but I think it's taking a touch too much space from the vocals. Just a touch. Same thing at 3:40. Bass could maybe come down a hair - like 1.5 DB.

Last edited:
Thanks for those comments guys. Right on. Okay, I lowered the guitars where they were stepping on the vocals. I cut a decibel in 600-800Hz range on the lead vocal and fine tuned the levels across the sections. Despite what you said, Dave, I brought the snare back up a couple of decibels. Lowered the bass by a decibel. Harmony vox back up slightly. I'll put another mix in the OP though I'm not expecting more. You guys have been amazing! :thumbs up:

BTW, I sent Massive Master a copy one of our songs, Crop Circles for his critique of its master-readiness. He suggested some changes to reverb, basically increasing the predelay while lowering the amount of reverb. He also suggested high and low passing the reverb bus which I already did. His suggestions really improved the sound, lead vocal especially, so I'm working them into all these songs that I've been posting very recently.

Back