Deepmind 12 track

kcearl

I see deaf people
All synths are my new Deepmind 12...vocoders a bit dodgy lol

Drums are a cheap TR505 box so they are what they are, not real toning possibilities there...still for cheesy I kinda like it

any listen or comments appreciated

That vocoder :thumbs up: Appropriately 80's ish. Drums are fine - I was so wrapped up in the synths I never paid any mind to them. They just kept things going and fit in good.
Ah the 80's - it was either parachute pants or spandex, there was nothing in between. oh except maybe Huey Lewis.

oooooh ya, love it. i like the vocal, but there's some lines that pop out a bit too much. sounds like they could use some gain automation to even it out. If it were in front of me, I'd re-examine the eq on that vocal to make it a touch more clear, just so i could hear the lyrics a touch more. not much, just a little cut maybe in the 200-400 range. or if the vocoder has eq properties to adjust, i'd start there. still good, just a touch less boxy and a pinch more detail.

very cool song kc.

I like the cheesy drums for this track. They fit really well actually.

Not so much my kind of thing taste-wise (I miss your more aggressive sounding stuff), but this is performed and mixed well to my ears.

Always enjoy your tracks, and even though this may not be my favorite sort of style you've explored, I dig how you keep experimenting with new sounds and new gear.

oooooh ya, love it. i like the vocal, but there's some lines that pop out a bit too much. sounds like they could use some gain automation to even it out. If it were in front of me, I'd re-examine the eq on that vocal to make it a touch more clear, just so i could hear the lyrics a touch more. not much, just a little cut maybe in the 200-400 range. or if the vocoder has eq properties to adjust, i'd start there. still good, just a touch less boxy and a pinch more detail.

very cool song kc.

Thanks man...yeah someone mentioned the vocoders clarity on another forum...yer old mate Greg :)

Its pretty basic controls, formant, pitch, and mix....I added some chorus (prolly whats making it too thick). I like the sound, its very VT-1 sounding...they lyrics were just what popped up in my head and I only sang it once, Im no vocalist so thats how they tend to go :D

In short I need to retrack it with more mix on the actual voice

thanks for listening and the comments

I like the cheesy drums for this track. They fit really well actually.

Not so much my kind of thing taste-wise (I miss your more aggressive sounding stuff), but this is performed and mixed well to my ears.

Always enjoy your tracks, and even though this may not be my favorite sort of style you've explored, I dig how you keep experimenting with new sounds and new gear.

Thanks Pete

Im a big fan of cheesy drums, going to add a yamaha rx15 this week. I could use samples but its not the same, even though most of them are sample based. Besides its the price of a night out and I dont go out anymore :)

I only experiment because Ive got nothing else to do...its not as if Im ever going to even try and get signed or gig or anything haha...not at 50! :)

Great to hear something new from you kc. I needed to work out and dial in the synth parts to some classic 80s tunes recently so my ears are currently tuned into this style. It feels like a proper guilty pleasures piece - reminded me of some of those retro synth revival bands from a few years ago - Phoenix, Chromeo etc.

I enjoyed everything apart from the kick, which just sounds too clicky and lacking body to me. I don't know whether you can make an eq cut on the click frequency or layer another 'fuller' kick sample underneath.

I was fine with the vocoder settings to be honest. For me, the beauty of synth music in the 80s was that it was full of rough edges - made it sound more human somehow. You hear synth pop music now and everything's ironed out to within an inch of its life and as a result it's unlistenable.

Fun listen man :)

Is gooood goood good. I wore blue or black denim jeans through the 80s with the occasional corduroy jeans for texture - all for work and play.

Oh yeah, if it's as simple as mix percentage, then just do that. :)

Then you hear my voice! :eek:

Great to hear something new from you kc. I needed to work out and dial in the synth parts to some classic 80s tunes recently so my ears are currently tuned into this style. It feels like a proper guilty pleasures piece - reminded me of some of those retro synth revival bands from a few years ago - Phoenix, Chromeo etc.

I enjoyed everything apart from the kick, which just sounds too clicky and lacking body to me. I don't know whether you can make an eq cut on the click frequency or layer another 'fuller' kick sample underneath.

I was fine with the vocoder settings to be honest. For me, the beauty of synth music in the 80s was that it was full of rough edges - made it sound more human somehow. You hear synth pop music now and everything's ironed out to within an inch of its life and as a result it's unlistenable.

Fun listen man :)

seems general consensus on the kick being too clicky...I think thats a problem on a lot of my tracks now. Funny no matter how long you do this the Kick drum is still a PITA :D

I know what you mean about rough edges...I think technological limitations forced people to allow imperfections, I think theyd have liked everything clean too. But I dont quantise anymore, I dont automate volumes or cut out noise. I even forced myself to leave some crackles in a track. Not sure if its laziness or just wanting it to be less shiny, but Ive done that on all my recent tracks and I kinda like it...until I hear a pop on my headphones lol

You already know I love this, KC. :D

theres going to be a bit of forum crossover. I hope the "clinic" pics up on the new site too as theres some great ears there

---------- Update ----------

Is gooood goood good. I wore blue or black denim jeans through the 80s with the occasional corduroy jeans for texture - all for work and play.

at least its not Canadian spandex!!

I really like it...that talk box or vocoder is cool as shit!
really creative as usual. Your stuff always has a vintage "moog snth" vibe but is different. Sounds like a great party tune man
Nice work!

Ooh, a DM12! How are you liking it? I mean, it sounds like you're enjoying it-- :) nice track, by the way-- but I'd love to hear your comments about the DM12. Or did you already post a review of it that I missed?

I really like it...that talk box or vocoder is cool as shit!
really creative as usual. Your stuff always has a vintage "moog snth" vibe but is different. Sounds like a great party tune man
Nice work!

Thx Jimi...vocoders are brilliant, my wee girl was doing robot voices all day on it lol. Thanks for the listen and comment.

Ooh, a DM12! How are you liking it? I mean, it sounds like you're enjoying it-- :) nice track, by the way-- but I'd love to hear your comments about the DM12. Or did you already post a review of it that I missed?

Its great, mine sits inbetween an alpha juno 2 and a jx8p and sounds like its from the same era if you want...like a 106 on steroids.

But its almost like my TI too...its weirdly almost not analogue sometimes. The FX engine is likely the best
Ive heard on a synth..fantastic lexicon/tc reverbs..really class. You can modulate just about anything, the filter blows my DSI synths out the water, granted not hard. Some nice touches, Osc/parameter drift sounds great...the 2nd OSC is restrictive but there are workarounds. Screen gives tonnes of info and the app/editors are, again, top notch.

Bad stuff? Theres a couple of bugs (had an update already) keybed not great, not terrible but just usable. Presets volumes/gains all over the place and swamped in fx, no audio in, screen a bit casio calculator like...but at $999? Shut up :)

I listened to this the other night. Haven't made it back yet to give another listen, but wanted to give a thumbs up to ya. So, :thumbs up: to ya!!

I won't comment on the mix, because you pretty much always have that dialed in. Even with a 'clickety" kick drum sound from a drum machine. Goes with the genre. Always enjoy listening to your tunes even if it's not my usual fare. Might have to bug ya for a collab in the future. :)

cheers,

Thank you for those honest comments. I'd seen a few gripes about the keybed on a forum where pro keyboardists hang out, but I find that pros often have criticisms which sort of go over my head-- not that I don't understand what they're saying, but rather that I lack their "discriminating palates" as it were... "The grand piano voice sounds okay to me," or "The keybed feels okay to me." :) You're right-- at $999, it's a bargain, and that's the real point.

My only criticism of the track was that the vocoder made it difficult for me to understand the lyrics, although it might not be the use of the vocoder (which sounded great) so much as that the vocals blended in with the level of the surrounding music. Maybe if they were accentuated a bit to make them stand out a little more?

Back