Deeper

K-dub

Deeper as it goes

The march continues towards the re-release of my recalled album w/ the aforementioned attention paid to less compression, as well as a new vocal through K58 mic that Jim Maxon recommended. It's making a huge difference in ease of mixing through solid tracking. I barely have to touch the eq on the track.

I keep wondering if a harmony in the last chorus should be done, like we used to do it w/ my old band ... but although I hear it in my head, I'm still not certain it would add anything truly needed.

My son Bryan, did me the courtesy of the guitar work during the chorus.

If folks review some of the other topics I've recently put up, you'll get a solid picture of the type of genre this new release leans heavily toward ... for this song is no different; it wanders around quite a bit.

Thanks in advance for any/all comments!

K-

Very, very good work. My nit is the stark dryness of the kit, and the wetness of all the other instruments in the A part. Works great in B part. Does not grok with me otherwise.....but everybody else will tell you they like it. I have a hangup with obviously un-natural, conflicting ambiences on the same stage. There's none of the drama in the kit to go along with the epic sound of everything else. The snare makes it really obvious. A taste of the same huge hall verb on the snare might be all I'd add.

Real good tune.

Very, very good work. My nit is the stark dryness of the kit, and the wetness of all the other instruments in the A part. Works great in B part. Does not grok with me otherwise.....but everybody else will tell you they like it. I have a hangup with obviously un-natural, conflicting ambiences on the same stage. There's none of the drama in the kit to go along with the epic sound of everything else. The snare makes it really obvious. A taste of the same huge hall verb on the snare might be all I'd add.

Real good tune.

I know how to make sound work ... so these are the types of comments I treasure.

K-

Man this is good stuff. I'm impressed more and more everyday by the underground sounds.

If you like this, check out the other stuff I recently posted.

... and I'm getting on, but I'm not underground yet!

Wait ... that's not what you meant, right?

:D

That was pretty cool!

I'd offer helpful critiques, but I was multitasking, and your song quickly faded into pleasant background music much like Pink Floyd does when I'm working and listening.

I suppose that means everything sounded good, and nothing stood out as "wrong."

That was pretty cool!

I'd offer helpful critiques, but I was multitasking, and your song quickly faded into pleasant background music much like Pink Floyd does when I'm working and listening.

I suppose that means everything sounded good, and nothing stood out as "wrong."

Best compliment one could get. Thanks S!

K-

Holy crap! :D :eek: This was pretty involved...so much going on. Loved the envelope filter sounding synth lead about 3/4 of the way through...that was a synth, right?

Anyway, I have no advice but was thoroughly impressed. Have been away for a while, but the last thing I remember hearing from you was maybe last Spring and struck me as kind of billy joel-esque stripped down ballad. This was so much more out-there.

Great vocal track!:) Why not try the vocal harmony at the end and simply scrap it if it adds nothing. I'm thinkin' it would be a good thing...

Why not try the vocal harmony at the end and simply scrap it if it adds nothing. I'm thinkin' it would be a good thing...

Sometimes someone says something so obvious, it hurts ... because in the light of the truth ... you go, "I'm a feckin' idiot"

Yeah ... I'm a feckin' idiot ... who can't get around the wall built of my own thinking.

I hear it in my head. I should hear it w/ my ears. Damn, for as smart as I may be, I'm so sometimes stupid.

I mean it ... it'll take me two minutes to track and audition my ears to the result.

This is why working alone sometimes results in compromised shit for the most mundane reasons.

Thanks, H. I'm serious, too ... because I heard it in my head, I didn't feel the need to actually listen to it.

That's wrong.

K-

btw ... HM

Yep, everything here is synth. The ending one has MAJOR tube distortion on it. I've got it hammered and clipping dirty hard.

New mix is up:

- 1/2 db down on the bass
- vocal 1/2 db up w/ more detuned effect dialed in via aux bus (wetter freq rich timbre)
- snare made measurably more wet
- tracked a quick harmony this morning and listened. It didn't add anything significant to the arrangement.
- brought guitar riff in the ending up 3db
- brought vocal echo track up 2 db
- applied just a tiny smidge more compression to the two bus to glue it all tighter together.

Kev-

The mix is good. I'm not a fan of the song. Way too synthy and long for me. I think it's one of your better mixes though. Everything sits pretty well. Some of the synthy stuff jumps out to much at the end. Like that bend thing at 6:00. It got my dogs' attention. :D

lol ... yeah, the freqs on that synth go up WAY out of our hearing range.

If you're not a fan of long songs, you're not going to like my new release, as it will be FULL of this sort of epic prog rock compositions ... as I'm going to lump a bunch of these examples of certain writing style together for this collection.

K-

Sounds damn original, Kev. What stands out most is that you're a very talented songwriter, besides having a great voice and a great sense of arrangement. Agree about a little bit of ambience for the drum kit in the quieter melodic parts. But other than that, the mix is pristine. Great work!

Joey :):):):)

Back