Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers cover. Feedback appreciated.

I should have posted the track without the "mastering",
Ah hah! That's how you got the track so much louder than I did.

As far as the bass goes, I high pass filtered it the same as the rest of the instruments. I compressed it at about 9:1, then I boosted at 1000Hz. I added a guitar distortion plugin and boosted the gain. Lastly, just to make things interesting, I threw on a bass enhancer plugin which has compression and a limiter on it, set it to bass only. There is no reverb on the bass track.

All I did to the guitars was add a bit of eq to separate them in the mix. I could have added some punch, but I didn't feel like messing with them.

I agree that the overheads in your drum tracks wasn't that great. There was no stereo separation, and all the cymbal crashes were in stereo and in both channels. That's why they kept washing out if I tweaked the eq.

And I didn't do much to the vocals either but compression on the lead because he was clipping really bad on the higher notes, and it sounded like he wasn't standing still as he sang. You have to watch that, or nothing you do will fix it. I would have done as Farview suggested, and had him either retrack, or punch-in/punch out to fix those bad spots. I attempted to clean them up, but gave up.

Just some food for thought on your future endeavors. Don't do like I did, and delete this session. You can always use it as an example for the next band you track. Performance and preparation are key. Tuned instruments, rehearse until you can perform the track cold, know what you are going to get done in the alloted time, no alcohol... yada yada yada.

Keep going and don't give up. Eventually, that little light is going to come on, you will start trusting your ears, and things will start going the way you want them to. And that's a great feeling.

Back