Deep Purple cover-update

GONZO-X

Last edited:
cool...could use some more low end in the bass fer sure. Maybe just a level boost on the bass across the board. Seems better in the chorus.

Oh, and how do you stand the douchebag that runs IAC?

hehe-
i don't deal with ANYBODY at the ia of c....

it's just a site to host pics and tunes, as far as i know...

i avoid douchebags, hopefully!

LOL

there's douchebags everywhere, so really, there's no safe haven.

the bass...
ugh, the bass.

on MY system, it's so loud, that it swamps the good midrange where the voice, keys and gits are trying to co-exist.

bass is the hardest thing of all, to dial in.

much harder to mix it, than to play it.

on MY system, it's so loud, that it swamps the good midrange where the voice, keys and gits are trying to co-exist.

bass is the hardest thing of all, to dial in.

much harder to mix it, than to play it.

Yes, it is the hardest thing...and probably the most important to making mixes sound big. A vocal sounds like a vocal on just about anything you play it back on, but bass sounds and feels radically different on even similar setups, depending on the room in which you're listening.

Mine may be the only system it sounds light on...or yours may be the only system where standing waves make it boom like crazy.

That's what this place is for. :D

chrisharris-

no shite!
bass it tough.

for me, it's ongoing learning curve...
i'm really a player, not an engineer...
but i really love listening to good engineering, so i'm inspired to try to find the best mixes i can pull off, with my limited knowledge and gear.

also, i'm listening to the original mix as well, and trying to stick to the original sounds somewhat, not a 'modern' mix of the classic...
so that's bending my brain a bit too!

thanks for the responses

Hey Gonzo – yeah this is a fitting cover to one of my all time favorite Deep Purple tunes.

Couldn’t help but miss some of Blackmore’s Stratocaster whammy bar work but you did a fine job on a real tough solo.

The live Made in Japan version is the best – more energy.

Good work – sounds good to me.

thanks manslick...
for listening...

of course the only version of this song, i had ever played before doing this project, was the LIVE version!
LOL
and yes, it's mighty powerful stuff.

it was actually harder to learn the original solo, tho, because his approach to pick attack, and note choice, is harder than it seems, for some reason..

his whammy work on the original is pretty mellow..
on the live version, i thought he was going to rip it right off the body!!!
:D

It sounds really good.

I agree with the bass, though. This song could use a bottom-end-boost.

I'm not a big fan all the panning on the cymbals. Some is good, I think it's a little much though. It might just be me.

I can't hear the ride very much either.

This is very clean and professional sounding though, two thumbs up.

It sounds better than the first version that you posted. The keys need to come up a bit. The main problem is the keys and bass are too clean. You need to add a little analog sounding distortion to them. I think that's what would fill the bottom as people have mentioned that it's a bit lite.

ziplock

thanks for listening!
the bass, on my system, is absolutely kicking!

so, i must be missing something, some frequency somewhere, that is not translating well.
what kind of system are you listening on?

did you compare the drum mix with the original?

this was my first project using Sonar, it's a good sounding daw i think.

ocnor
keys up..... hm... ok.
yep, in certain spots, they're weak..
seems tho, i just keep bringing things up..... up... then it's swampy!
LOL
problem is, my first mixes, and all the automation i did, was based around the synth bass... which took up a lot of sonic real estate....
now, with the real bass, everything has changed.
i may have to wipe the slate clean, and go back and start building everything up again, from the bass and drums, up.

i like the idea of adding some distortion.. that's exactly what i did with the previous mix, with the synth bass...
i eq'd the piss out of it, and added a gritty distortion, to approximate the original.
when i was tracking, i really thought i had TOO much dirt dialed in, and then, on playback, it did seem a bit clean...
just goes to show you how truely gnarly the bass tracks that roger glover cut were!!

Hey there.
Awsome mix man. And awsome song. very nice.
Real clean and killer guitar and keys tones.
I envy your recording skills! Only thing is I can hear distortion in your mix in the right side at times. It is from the organ Im sure.
I mastered your song for you.

Hope you like what Ive done. I cleaned it up a tad more and brought more life to it. Let us know what you think.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=8175

Eck

thanks ecktronic!!
downloading now....
will get back with you on it....

the distortion on the keys, is an added distortion patch on the track.

when i a/b'd the tracks the keyboardist gave me against the original, they were too clean.
they need a much gnarlier sound, so i chose an effect in sonar, and added the distortion...
so, for better or worse, it's on there on purpose!!

LOL

also, i had already mastered the song, with a pretty aggressive multiband compressor, but no eq.....
limiting to +3db, i think....to make up for the compression...

Wow, Sounds really authentic for the style and the genre. Drums sound great, everything seems to be in its place.

ecktronic!!

well, i compared the two...
very cool, getting to hear different perspectives, back to back!

on the streaming version (from IAC) the bass is much louder, more present, and there is more midrange meat on the original, than the remastered version.

on the remastered version, tho, there's a better high end clarity.

i think if you could marry the 'meat' with the high end 'clarity', it'd be dialed in!
i always want the low end and midrange kickin', versus high end sheen.....if it's a forced choice..

i think the next time i mix and master this, i'll go for a bit more high end sheen like you've done, and keep the low end intensity and see how that plays.....

man, much food for thought you've added! thanks!

thanks james!!
yeah, the attention to detail wasn't perfect by a long shot..
but at least we were thinkin' about it!!
LOL

thanks for listening

No probs man.
I enjoy mastering and hope to persue it as a full time career.

I like to clean up the low mids when mastering, but I suppose since this song is a 70s song the low mids would fit well being in there. If I get round to mastering the song again, I will leave more low mids in, although I would still cut some of the low mids definetly to bring out the clarity and the high mids.

Nice stuff.
Listening to it again!

Eck

thanks eck....
very cool of you to do that.

yeah, it's the listening to the original, then trying to mix like it!!

no way......

i maybe got in the ballpark, but it's very different than my own stuff i mix..

and i mostly did it to learn the basics in Sonar, so for that, it really worked well....

made me really investigate a lot of the channel strip possibilites, and plugins for effects, eq and compression....
it's so much more powerful than what i've been using, but at the same time, it means there's more for me to fuck up!!

Back