Deaf Ears - Reboot

jonlint

Hi all,

I did a reboot of an old song “Deaf Ears” I wrote in 2014 - learnt alot since theb and my vocals have improved. Here is the updated song - feedback welcome:

Deaf Ears - Rev1 by Jonathan Linton 4 | Free Listening on SoundCloud

DEAF EARS
(Words by Jonathan Linton, Music by Jonathan Linton)

Tragedy of justice here I sit
Guilty of a crime I didn’ commit
A lazy prosecutor took the easy way out
Skillfully erasing shadow of doubt

My cries and fears, they fall on deaf ears
No one hears, it falls on deaf ears

An eight by ten box is now my home
The crooked prosecutor’s free to roam
The wheels of justice ran me over, appeals have been denied
Now I know injustice will preside

My cries and fears, they fall on deaf ears
No one hears, it falls on deaf ears

I like it. The heavy guitars sound good and are mixed at the right level relative to bass. Kick drum could come up. The vocals seem a bit low in the mix, but maybe that's okay for the genre (my bias is always toward a pop mix). There is a harshness I'm hearing on the lead guitars, especially the one on the left in the intro and between verses. Just in general, I'm hearing a little harshness across the mix generally. There's just a sonic texture that is unflattering. Might want to look at whatever's on the master bus, as that's often a cause. If not there, it's probably in the guitars. Good work!

Right up my alley. Definitely an AIC influence, which is fine with me. LOL! One of my all-time favorite bands. The kick sounds fine on my system, honestly (but I have a rather large subwoofer in my studio). I'm learning already (as a newbie here) that Rhobus and a few others have way more technical advice than I could ever give, but I could listen to this all day exactly as it is. The fade-out at the end seemed a little... abrupt. I was expecting more before it ended. That's my only real suggestion. One of my favorite tunes so far in my short time here! I'll have to play this one for my buddy. He'll dig this!

Thanks!

Back