Cycle Song, Psych-folk

jm67

Would appreciate some feedback on the mix. I do love the reverb-y sound of Fleet Foxes & other indie bands, but find it really tough to get that without the mix sounding like mud.

Cycle Song

good song and performances. I realize you are going for a reverby sound, but it was too reverby for my personal taste. I think it would benefit from backing off on the reverb a bit...especially on the vocal.

I do love the reverb-y sound of Fleet Foxes & other indie bands

good song and performances. I realize you are going for a reverby sound, but it was too reverby for my personal taste. I think it would benefit from backing off on the reverb a bit...especially on the vocal.

I personally hate that style too,* but I'll try to comment objectively. :D

The big thing that sticks out as not working to me is the panning. It sounds like everything except the drums and bass are panned all the way out? I always recommend that anything crucial to mix and all lead parts should be audible in both ears.
It looks like to address that in the vocals, you did two hard-panned parts. But they're not really in sync with each other. They're clearly the same vocalist, but instead of sounding like one, full-bodied take, it's clearly two takes that don't match.
And the kick is flappy.

The guitar tones are pretty good tho. The bgvox sound nice. And the reverb is less obnoxiously overwhelming than much of the genre.

* Fleet foxes are awful, and I'm ashamed to hail from the same city as Bon Iver.

Thanks for the comments on the pan & vocals. Yes the vox are doubled & hard panned, so I could fix that. Of course it also sounds like our music tastes have nothing in common, so there’s that ;). Saw Bon Iver in concert last year & Grizzly Bear is up this week...

I like the verby vocals, that tambourine sounds kind of harsh to me, it's louder than the vocal, and considering the vocals are panned and so is the tamb and it's so dry (did you try verb on the tamb? just curious)...I like the way the song builds- cool chorus once the drums kick in, very catchy. I like the style, didn't know this was a genre haha. Enjoyable listen i really like that chorus...

I ordinarily don't like reverb. But I think Fleet Foxes sound cool. I thought the use of reverb here was cool.

But the reverb is washing out the vocal quite a bit. There seems to be a repeated delay within the reverb that's causing some clarity to be lost.

There is a real sizzle to the acoustic guitar on the left and the vocal. It's like there is a big boost in the 6Khz - 8Khz range. The acoustic guitar in the intro also has a bit too much bite for me. I suspect a notch cut somewhere in the 2400hz - 2700hz range would help.

Some double tracking issues with the vocal. And to a lesser extent on some of the guitars.

I like the electric guitar sounds. I especially like the little riff on the left side.

The kick drum has a cardboard sound. I think you need some pretty big cuts in the 300hz - 600hz range. It's also really boomy. I suspect there is a problem in the 60hz - 80hz range.

Maybe nudge the bass level down a db or so.

Back