Crime Drama Composition

PThorne

Hi there,

I'm working on some tracks for use in TV crime/urban drama shows.

I don't usually mix my own tracks, so would be interested in feedback on this track if possible:

https://soundcloud.com/tonicmusicproduction/no-truth

This track would be the backdrop to an "Investigating" type scene, so is fairly low key, but builds in intensity towards the end.

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks!

Would this be with dialog, etc? Or would it be more of a montage scene?

I could easily picture the first 8 seconds being trimmed off. It seems like they'd be too sparse and dynamic? I don't really know much about tv music production, but I'd think that isolated punches aren't that common, right?

Would this be with dialog, etc? Or would it be more of a montage scene?

I could easily picture the first 8 seconds being trimmed off. It seems like they'd be too sparse and dynamic? I don't really know much about tv music production, but I'd think that isolated punches aren't that common, right?

Thanks for the reply. It's for a music production library, so I am really just anticipating how it might be used. I had written the track thinking it would best suit a scene without dialog. However, I think you may have a good point regarding it being too dynamic.

I think the style of the music would work very well for the backdrop of an investigation scene.

The bass and kick are much too strong.

For something like this, I assume you don't want too much going on, for fear of distracting from the visuals. There are spots where there is a lot of stuff going on. That's the one thing musically I'd worry about.

I think the style of the music would work very well for the backdrop of an investigation scene.

The bass and kick are much too strong.

For something like this, I assume you don't want too much going on, for fear of distracting from the visuals. There are spots where there is a lot of stuff going on. That's the one thing musically I'd worry about.

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, listening back I think I may need to remove some of the parts at some points and keep it more low key.

When you say the bass and kick and too strong, do you think they just need turning down, or do you think they need some further EQing?

I liked it. I didn't get any sense of it building towards the end, more that it drops away for the breakdown in the middle. Seems pretty well suited to the target visuals - sounds very mch like music from those crime shwos the missus watches :D

When you say the bass and kick and too strong, do you think they just need turning down, or do you think they need some further EQing?

Some of both. But mostly just turning it down. I'd try that first and if it's still too strong in the low end try notching something out between 80hz and 160hz.

Back