Creative instrumental

Dood, what is that guitar that clips out severely? Don't do that!

1:06 on the right side is a prime example of yuck. Many more on the track.

Otherwise the playing is good. :)

That is the tone chosen by the artist who played rhythm on the track. The artist is very into different and crazy sounds he produces with his rig. That sound that you find offensive, is carefully executed digital distortion that was crafted in the rig of the rhythm guitar. That is how it sounded when it hit the pres. Carl is very into different sounds, and fitting them into where you don't expect to hear them. It's an avant gard Jazz thing. Think David Torn. Honestly, I dig what he did. But, I know this kind of artistic impression isn't for everyone. Thank you for the participation, it is much appreciated! : )

The tone may have been chosen by him, but that is a clipped preamp or digital clip by the one recording it.

It is nasty...

You asked for feedback. You have received.

Could be a dead tube actually. May be what I hear.

Sorry, I did not mean to offend. The performance is awesome. That distorted tone totally distracts from the song tho.

As an outside listener, I was put off by it.

Not trying to be a dick. Just honest man. :)

Not at all! I appreciate the honest feedback! The tone he got was from an eleven rack that he internally overloaded! Straight up digital distortion and clipping. I had suggested that he use his amp (he got some huge tone from on the cd), but he wanted this harsh contrast. I had explained that digital clipping has no musical merrit, he just smiled and said he liked it. I have come to actually dig the contrast between my tone and his mutilated tone. I never thought I would say that!

If it works for you then cool. It does not sound good to me at all. Quite disruptive actually. I would redo the part myself.

Most listeners will not give a shit tho. I would not listen to that mix again with that clipped guitar after these three times. That just me tho.

Again, you asked.

Like I stated, great performances and I loved the recording other than that. If you feel that strongly about that shitty sound, then keep it.

Best to you with that.

I appreciate your honest feedback, thank you. Bottom line, it was up to the artist and they made the call. That was the mastered version you heard. ? again, thank you

Wait, if that was the mastered version, then why did you post in the MP3 'Mixing' Clinic?

You maybe should have taken the mix here first.

Sorry man, I just listened again. Not soothing to my ear on those parts.

Maybe I am just a dick...

?

I like the feel of this track, very musical, I actually like the distortion to be honest, it reminds me of my fender champ 600 on 12, maxed out where the speaker grill is flapping and the room is vibrating, perhaps overkill for this particular track but it has the same 'vibe' as a real valve amp...I'm guessing that's what you are going for here?

Wait, if that was the mastered version, then why did you post in the MP3 'Mixing' Clinic?

You maybe should have taken the mix here first.

Sorry man, I just listened again. Not soothing to my ear on those parts.

Maybe I am just a dick...

?

Dude, you aren't a dick! And you are correct, I should have posted this elsewhere. My bad!
There is no such thing as right or wrong on mixes, just different ideas. You want to hear it in a pristine format, nothing wrong with that

I like the feel of this track, very musical, I actually like the distortion to be honest, it reminds me of my fender champ 600 on 12, maxed out where the speaker grill is flapping and the room is vibrating, perhaps overkill for this particular track but it has the same 'vibe' as a real valve amp...I'm guessing that's what you are going for here?
As much as I would love to take credit for the "rhythm guitar", I can't. Carl Clark played Rhythm on this track. I played the lead. At the end of the day, Carl has the say. He liked the harsh contrast between my warm plush tone and his creative rhythm tone. I am glad you dig it!

Dude, you aren't a dick! And you are correct, I should have posted this elsewhere. My bad!
There is no such thing as right or wrong on mixes, just different ideas. You want to hear it in a pristine format, nothing wrong with that

Cool man.

And you are correct. My opinion is not going to be the same as everyone's.

Still, the tune was great!

The guitar in the left speaker has a silent hiss going on despite the amp not being very distorted. Was that part of the avant-garde tone as well?

A few of the guitar parts sounded rushed before the beat.

The guitar in the left speaker has a silent hiss going on despite the amp not being very distorted. Was that part of the avant-garde tone as well?

A few of the guitar parts sounded rushed before the beat.

The hiss was definitely not by design. That just came a long for the ride.

You feel the guitar's performance has some opportunity, sounded rushed. Okay, I need to work on my timing.

Thank you for the listen and feedback

Man, fantastic tone a great touch. Just a really good guitar piece. I agree about the 2nd guitar having that awful clipping sound. It hinders the tune instead of helping it.
Next recording session tell him "your guitar tone sucks ass and you need to get it straight before we even get started because last time we wasted our time because of it"
If he bails on you then overdub the other guitar part yourself.

Great composition and performance!

From another relative newbie here: I like the music. Your playing is very nice; do agree that the tone of the rhythm guitar is unpleasant. I'm pretty old-school when it comes to distortion. Tube distortion can provide some nice harmonics but digital distortion is not very pleasing to my ear. I hear it in a lot of newer mixes though. Overall I think it's a nice composition.

The hiss was definitely not by design. That just came a long for the ride.

You feel the guitar's performance has some opportunity, sounded rushed. Okay, I need to work on my timing.

Thank you for the listen and feedback

The tone of the clean guitar chords was nice but they came in a bit before the beat. I've gotten really hypersensitive to this since I do it myself.

Man, fantastic tone a great touch. Just a really good guitar piece. I agree about the 2nd guitar having that awful clipping sound. It hinders the tune instead of helping it.
Next recording session tell him "your guitar tone sucks ass and you need to get it straight before we even get started because last time we wasted our time because of it"
If he bails on you then overdub the other guitar part yourself.

Great composition and performance!

From another relative newbie here: I like the music. Your playing is very nice; do agree that the tone of the rhythm guitar is unpleasant. I'm pretty old-school when it comes to distortion. Tube distortion can provide some nice harmonics but digital distortion is not very pleasing to my ear. I hear it in a lot of newer mixes though. Overall I think it's a nice composition.

Thanks guys!

Back