Crazy on Saturday night

Hey Jimi, it sounds good. Has that "Chuck Berry" type rhythm going on, which is always catchy and fun. Kind of reminds me of that and the Hank Williams Jr Sunday Night Football thing.

I thought the ride cymbal (I think that's what it is) keeping the beat at like 1:45 is a bit too loud. The vocal seems a bit too out in front, or the guitar a bit low, or a mix of the two. That's the only real imbalance I hear other than the cymbal with volume. There is a bit of mud in the low end, with regard to frequencies.

This sounds good Jimi. Nice guitars and vocals. To me that hi-hat and ride that trade off on the eight notes are both too loud.

Thanks Nola and Robus.
I tried running the whole mix through the Vintage Warmer on this one. I agree on the hat and the ride being too loud. That is really more of a performance issue than a mixing issue. Im a roomie on drums and just don't have the finesse and touch yet that it takes to produce a nice sounding balances drum track.

Hopefully one of these days...

I love the rhythm guitar sound. Really cool.

I'd back off the reverb on the vocal a bit. Sounds like it's in a stadium.

The bass is a little indistinct. It is kind of mushy in the low end.

The kick is a bit thuddy and rumbly. Needs a bit more attack. Might need some low end rolled off.

I listed to the third mix BTW.

I love the rhythm guitar sound. Really cool.

I'd back off the reverb on the vocal a bit. Sounds like it's in a stadium.

The bass is a little indistinct. It is kind of mushy in the low end.

The kick is a bit thuddy and rumbly. Needs a bit more attack. Might need some low end rolled off.

I listed to the third mix BTW.

Thanks M.
I agree with 3M, the low end is indistinct. Are you high passing things?

Yeah, I have high passed some things. I worked on the mix some more... tried to tighten up the bottom end and to bed down the verb.
Thanks 3M and Robus for the suggestions!
Here is the latest mix:Crazy On Sat Night007 by jimistone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Listening to mix 3. Sounds like the Georgia Satellites must have liked this song too : /. I like the beefy guitar tone-takes up alot of space but again not cheesy sounding. Vocals sound great, performance and sound and placement in the mix all sound right on. Rhythm section is carrying it's weight. I like when you're really letting loose on the guitar towards the end before the abrupt fade out. Nothing to complain about really, sounds good to me. I see you use the vintage warmer-i'm a fan of that plugin too though it's a complicated beast. I recently picked up the waves L3 for $29 so the warmer has been getting some competition especially for non rock type songs. So do you use a preset on the VW? I find i have to dial the mix knob waay back %30-%40, all of the presets have that mix knob at %100. I love psp plugins but their presets are not inspiring...Anyways, good mix, enjoyed the listen.

Listening to mix 3. Sounds like the Georgia Satellites must have liked this song too : /. I like the beefy guitar tone-takes up alot of space but again not cheesy sounding. Vocals sound great, performance and sound and placement in the mix all sound right on. Rhythm section is carrying it's weight. I like when you're really letting loose on the guitar towards the end before the abrupt fade out. Nothing to complain about really, sounds good to me. I see you use the vintage warmer-i'm a fan of that plugin too though it's a complicated beast. I recently picked up the waves L3 for $29 so the warmer has been getting some competition especially for non rock type songs. So do you use a preset on the VW? I find i have to dial the mix knob waay back %30-%40, all of the presets have that mix knob at %100. I love psp plugins but their presets are not inspiring...Anyways, good mix, enjoyed the listen.

I bet you were expecting the vocal to bust out with " I got a little change in my pocket going cling-a-ling-a-ling!" Huh?
:D
Thanks for the critique strato.
I use the Vintage Warmer presets....I don't guess I've ever tried to tweak it to be honest.

My initial reaction was how warm it sounds and the I saw you mentioned Vintage Warmer and I thought no that sound can't be a plugin so I listened to the version without the plugin and I'm pleased to report it still sounds warm here. Nice fat round bottom end and the vocals rocking. Only thing I can think would make this better would be a more roomy present kick, esp in the into where it's more on its own. Nice job, just need to finish that ending off properly

My initial reaction was how warm it sounds and the I saw you mentioned Vintage Warmer and I thought no that sound can't be a plugin so I listened to the version without the plugin and I'm pleased to report it still sounds warm here. Nice fat round bottom end and the vocals rocking. Only thing I can think would make this better would be a more roomy present kick, esp in the into where it's more on its own. Nice job, just need to finish that ending off properly

Thanks Bulls hit I got rid of the earlier mixes and this is my latest one.

Mississippi Saturday night by jimistone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I worked on the kick a little and tried to get a little harshness out of the lead guitar. I also worked on the vocal...used a diffrent reverb and boosted the volume a tad. I also mixed in some more snare from the sm 57 snare track.

Vocal sounds really good, way out front as it should be! Kick is verging on being too much for me. Something I noticed before, that rhythm guitar doing the boogie thing--have you got some delay on it that isn't synced with the song tempo? Maybe its a combination of dirt and ambiance, but it doesn't really seem to be locking in with the groove.

this isnt bash but, the V1,V2 are great but the lead 1 drops out on 1:05-1:07, there needs to be a filler as is done on the verse imo...
Lead 2 is better but when the "come around" stops, the lead needs to do more not stop....like the verse we get crazy on a saturday night...but with the guitar lick...the spotlight goes to the lead guitar when the backing rythm stops, and the lead G stops?
just my 2cents....
mainly listening to the bass and the Radial J48, sounds good but not a main bass type song.
it sits int the mix really well but this music is spotlight lead guitar usually, kick/snare drums and bass are the locomotive engine...

vocals are well done, my fav, the verb or something gets that right feel, pro sound...

good old country rockabilly groove. I like the vocals alot. kick still has a high mid thing going on. but thats nitpicking. reminds me of all the brain cells I killed in the honky tonks around Hattiesburg growing up. good job!

Vocal is fantastic. It needs compressing and to come down a bit. The real thing holding this back is the drums. They are a bit sloppy/rough. Low end is muddy needs hi pass. Hi pass everything but the kick and bass.

Warm, thick, gritty, and raw, love it. It sounds great, but it feels great too, which is more important if you ask me. I think the guitar solos could actually come up a db or two, but that's up to you. It just seems the vocal way overpowers them, when they should be almost even with the vocal's level during the solos.

I'd experiment with the "rear bus" trick on this one, it would totally help the lead guitar poke out a little more when the vocals stop, and add even more raw energy to the track. Might work well, might not, but I'd definitely try it.

The reverb still seems a little strong, but I kinda like it. Like TripleM said, it does kind of sound like it's in stadium, but kinda sounds cool that way. I think it adds to the energy and vibe of the track. If it was too dry it wouldn't have the same impact. I've only heard the latest version, so I'm not sure how it sounded before and how much reverb you pulled out...

The ending still needs a little work, but you're on the right track. Super cool tune dude.

Great stuff jimi! Love the blues stuff as I am leaning that way myself more and more. Love the guitar crunch! Vocals do seem a little out front maybe just back them out a little. Good job brother

Vocal is fantastic. It needs compressing and to come down a bit. The real thing holding this back is the drums. They are a bit sloppy/rough. Low end is muddy needs hi pass. Hi pass everything but the kick and bass.

Thanks a lot packro. I appreciate you giving it a listen!
I'm just a beginner on drums. I probably only have 25 to 35 total hours playing time under my belt. im trying but my inexperiance shows.

Warm, thick, gritty, and raw, love it. It sounds great, but it feels great too, which is more important if you ask me. I think the guitar solos could actually come up a db or two, but that's up to you. It just seems the vocal way overpowers them, when they should be almost even with the vocal's level during the solos.

I'd experiment with the "rear bus" trick on this one, it would totally help the lead guitar poke out a little more when the vocals stop, and add even more raw energy to the track. Might work well, might not, but I'd definitely try it.

The reverb still seems a little strong, but I kinda like it. Like TripleM said, it does kind of sound like it's in stadium, but kinda sounds cool that way. I think it adds to the energy and vibe of the track. If it was too dry it wouldn't have the same impact. I've only heard the latest version, so I'm not sure how it sounded before and how much reverb you pulled out...

The ending still needs a little work, but you're on the right track. Super cool tune dude.
Thanks Johnny. I'm not familiar with the rear bus trick, but I will research it. I appreciate you giving it a listen and the comments!

Great stuff jimi! Love the blues stuff as I am leaning that way myself more and more. Love the guitar crunch! Vocals do seem a little out front maybe just back them out a little. Good job brother
Hey Bruthish...haven't seen you in a while. Glad you're back. I dig the guitar sound on this too!
Rock on!
:)

Vocal sounds really good, way out front as it should be! Kick is verging on being too much for me. Something I noticed before, that rhythm guitar doing the boogie thing--have you got some delay on it that isn't synced with the song tempo? Maybe its a combination of dirt and ambiance, but it doesn't really seem to be locking in with the groove.

Thanks Robus!
I appreciate the suggestions. I'm trying to get back to this one but I have a lot going on right now.

this isnt bash but, the V1,V2 are great but the lead 1 drops out on 1:05-1:07, there needs to be a filler as is done on the verse imo...
Lead 2 is better but when the "come around" stops, the lead needs to do more not stop....like the verse we get crazy on a saturday night...but with the guitar lick...the spotlight goes to the lead guitar when the backing rythm stops, and the lead G stops?
just my 2cents....
mainly listening to the bass and the Radial J48, sounds good but not a main bass type song.
it sits int the mix really well but this music is spotlight lead guitar usually, kick/snare drums and bass are the locomotive engine...

vocals are well done, my fav, the verb or something gets that right feel, pro sound...
I'll try to incorporate some of this on the next remix.
Thanks for the critique!

good old country rockabilly groove. I like the vocals alot. kick still has a high mid thing going on. but thats nitpicking. reminds me of all the brain cells I killed in the honky tonks around Hattiesburg growing up. good job!

Hattiesburg is a fine town...im about 60 miles north of Jackson. Thanks for checking it out bro!

Back