The Cowboy Song, Thin Lizzy Cover

Atkron205

here is another one I am working on. Thanks for all the help guys!:guitar:

Attachments

• Cowboy Song Mix 5 - - Output - Stereo Out.mp3
    6.5 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
That's a great TL song. That album had a bunch of good ones on it. I sill own a copy on vinyl, though I seem to recall there might be a scratch under "The Boys are Back in Town." Where is that hiss under the opening guitar coming from? It almost sounds like you were using a room mic with the preamp gain boosted way up to capture the guitar. If that's the case, and if you have the available inputs, it would definitely be worth close-miking the guitars going forward. Overall, the mix lacks cohesion. At any given moment, one part or the other seems to be dominating. Usually it's the lead guitar. If you were miking the room, I guess it is what it is. If you have control over the levels of the individual parts, I'd work on rebuilding the mix from the bottom up: Get the balance happening between bass, kick, and vocal, then rhythm guitars and the rest of the kit, then lead guitars.

That's a great TL song. That album had a bunch of good ones on it. Where is that hiss under the opening guitar coming from? It almost sounds like you were using a room mic with the preamp gain boosted way up to capture the guitar. Overall, the mix lacks cohesion. At any given moment, one part or the other seems to be dominating. Usually it's the lead guitar. If you were miking the room, I guess it is what it is. If you have control over the levels of the individual parts, I'd work on rebuilding the mix from the bottom up: Get the balance happening between bass, kick, and vocal, then rhythm guitars and the rest of the kit, then lead guitars.

I recorded it all live in 1 room, 15 mics, thats where the challenge comes in, I am still working on the individual tracks. I am having to use alot of gates. I will check out the hiss, I know the snares are rattling in the beginning. Thanks for the input.

The hiss (I guess snare rattle) was the first thing that I noticed.

If you're trying to track the whole band at once, you're going to want to shoot for more isolation from everybody. Put baffles and sound proofing between everyone. Headphones for everybody. Etc.

I noticed a lot of hiss too.

The singer seemed to have some delivery trouble in the intro. Some distortion in the vocal at 1:03. When it kicked in he was comfortable. The effects on the vocal are very different from the rest of the tracks. I would treat the vocal much like the rest of the tracks.

The kick is dominating the bass. I think the bass could be compressed a little harder and brought. Again, the bass is a little rumbly and indistinct in spots. The bass doesn't have much low midrange - kind of a bouncing basketball sound. The kick has a ton of low end. I would raise the snare level and lower the overhead level.

I thought all the guitar sounds were very good. Some good playing.

This being one if my favorite songs gave me high hopes.

If this was a bar performance it would be great.

However, there are timing issues, pitch issues and the singer is trying to pull off a style that doesn't seem comfortable to him. Guitar playing is pretty good but could be better. You obviously have the chops for the song (assuming you're the guitar player)

Overall it sounds like the band is not really ready to do this song in a fluid cohesive manner.

I won't even go into mix stuff, cause I simply don't think the song is ready to be recorded.

You guys have the potential to pull it off, it just needs a bit more work.

Sorry to be harsh, thats just my take.

Years ago (20), my band did a live in studio cover of Free's All Right Now.
It was a blast! Had a great time. Other people loved it..........

However, it was sloppy, not right, and I cringe at all the issues. 20 years later, both myself and the singer want to redo the song properly.

Some songs are just like that. Do them right or not at all.

The Cowboy Song is one of them.
:D

Hey. I'm sorry. If I knew in advance that me posting would kill the thread, I'd have kept my mouth shut.
:)

The hiss overwhelms the quiet beginning. The left guitar is too loud when things kick in. The vocal sounds really thin once the song kicks in, like it is EQd with all the lows cut out. The guitar solo should be blended in a bit more.

I agree with RFR that it could use more rehearsing, but the loose vibe doesn't bother me. It's close enough for rock and roll.

That hiss sounds like an an issue I had years a go with a multi-effects pedal. Chased and chased it and could never get rid of it. Good guitar playing on the clean part.

So, I agree with everyone else. It seems like there are some timing issues right as everything kicks in. It gets better but the transition hurts. At times it sounds like there is some tuning issues too. The lead vocals seem to have too much low-mid frequencies which cause them to sound muffled.

Not dogging your song, I just think even with some better EQ mixing it would sound better. But that won't help the sloppy transitions. I would tighten everyone up and go at it again or multitrack record it one instrument at a time.

This being one if my favorite songs gave me high hopes.

If this was a bar performance it would be great.

However, there are timing issues, pitch issues and the singer is trying to pull off a style that doesn't seem comfortable to him. Guitar playing is pretty good but could be better. You obviously have the chops for the song (assuming you're the guitar player)

Overall it sounds like the band is not really ready to do this song in a fluid cohesive manner.

I won't even go into mix stuff, cause I simply don't think the song is ready to be recorded.

You guys have the potential to pull it off, it just needs a bit more work.

Sorry to be harsh, thats just my take.

Years ago (20), my band did a live in studio cover of Free's All Right Now.
It was a blast! Had a great time. Other people loved it..........

However, it was sloppy, not right, and I cringe at all the issues. 20 years later, both myself and the singer want to redo the song properly.

Some songs are just like that. Do them right or not at all.

The Cowboy Song is one of them.
:D

Well said!!!!

The intro had some issues...guitar too bassy...pitchy vocal.. hiss.
once it kicked on to the fast part... It sounded much better

Hey. I'm sorry. If I knew in advance that me posting would kill the thread, I'd have kept my mouth shut.
:)

Hey man, sorry been slammed at work. I agree with your points, no worries. This was done not so much for recording but something a little deeper. This was a band called Teaser that I got to know in high school ( 1979ish). The drummer was a mentor to me. Life happened and we all lost touch over the years. I myself looked for Rusty (drummer) for 30 years. They last played for an afternoon in 2007, I think. So they have played together twice in 30 plus years. this was a reunion for everyone to reconnect and have a awesome time. so this was cold after 10 years for the most recent time. I had a JBL PA in the room, I closed miked everything, I hit the red button and let it go. and it was one of the best days of my life! Thanks for the listen.:D

Back