Could you guys listen to this and give me your honest review HipHop/rock

Sounds interesting. I'm still figuring out how to add fills and cymbals to rock beats so probably not the best person to ask questions on hip hop drums. You could try taking out the electronic loop every now and then and have a swell of beats build up cut to silence and then bring the electronic part back in. Mainly I would just say to keep trying different combinations you haven't tried before, or try doing something new every song or beat/melody, that way you'll learn a lot as you develop a song list. Music's tough so make sure your making music you like and have fun creating it. That doesn't mean there's no work involved, there's always more to learn and practice then. Figure out what inspires you and practice taking your ideas from your mind to the recorder. This seems like a good place to share ideas and learn from others experience. Hope that helps.

Drums are in the front seat and sound alright in and of themselves...maybe a bit kicky. But the melody synth is in the back seat pretty much all by itself with no friends...no bass...nothing much. Drums and the melody synth...that's it. What can go wrong? I mean...you know it sounds like all you have here is two elements in this entire mix.....drums and the synth.....and even those two things are in the wrong parts of the car. The drums should be in the back, with their elbow relaxing half in and half out the window...nodding...tapping...the melody synth should be behind the wheel, wearing dark sunglasses with no hat on, driving the thing.

What you've got there is OK for what it is but you need to add some melodic variation. Also the rock aspect is missing - how about adding a noisy guitar riff for some contrast

First off the 808 is way hot. My subs are exploding.

Yep. You see that a lot in modern hip-hop production, but you also need a much denser mix to match it.

I would try to rely less on the drums to support the sound and add in some more instruments. As it is now, the drums sound like bog-standard cheap drum machine, so it's not that exciting to listen to. The snare parts are especially bad for this. There's no power to that snare sample, and all the hits are the same velocity. This results in a really bland snare line.

Back