Cornerstone (made today)

Ash, it could be that you post songs for comment but hardly ever comment on things others have posted. If others did as you do, then every thread would be like this one.

Ash, it could be that you post songs for comment but hardly ever comment on things others have posted. If others did as you do, then every thread would be like this one.

Good point. I will take that at consideration. Just didnt want my name everywhere, but I will do a better effort. Thanks!

Okay. In the second version, there's a lot of highs attenuated (at least in my headphones) out of the drums in the intro. It works better once everything is in play...
Nice vocal. The demolished vocal was just a bit over done. A little less demolition, or a little less mids in the eq?
The string pad is a little overwhelming. Maybe cut it back just a bit in the mix.

First mix: The drums are much better. The demolition is completely gone. Pad is better. Did I miss something? This mix sounds better than the "new version". Other than the abrupt cut off at the end, it is a very pleasant mix.

Okay. In the second version, there's a lot of highs attenuated (at least in my headphones) out of the drums in the intro. It works better once everything is in play...
Nice vocal. The demolished vocal was just a bit over done. A little less demolition, or a little less mids in the eq?
The string pad is a little overwhelming. Maybe cut it back just a bit in the mix.

First mix: The drums are much better. The demolition is completely gone. Pad is better. Did I miss something? This mix sounds better than the "new version". Other than the abrupt cut off at the end, it is a very pleasant mix.

Thank you for the reply.

The reason I went for a new mix was mainly because of the vocals (a bit over the top?) in the intro and the loud kick in the verse. But you are probably right that the overall sound is better in the first mix. I have a third mixing with a lot of arranging alterations, I'll post it when I'm satisfied. To be honest I was a bit quick to post this song. (the same day as I recorded and mixed it)

Not my purpose to spam the thread or forum, I just wanted to say that I've made severe changes on my third Version and since I posted a bit early you get to hear my "progress" towards a finished song. The parts of the song I think is OK is verse nr 1 and the first refrain, anything else is under process.

Thanks in advance!

On mid-fields today...no cans! :)
Third mix: This is getting much better. I still think you're overdoing the destruction on the vocals when you use it...not that it's a bad thing (I agree with where you're using it), just pushed a bit too far.
I like the new intro. It works much better. Bass is solid and clear: could be louder. Highs are where they should be. The background vocals are pushing the mids and fighting for dominance during the steady rock in Zion part...couldn't make out the words well through the aahs.
No mud (to my ears) in the normal 150 and 300 ranges. Everything is identifiable and clear. No push on the vocals (2k). No bright sizzly cymbals (6k) Nice lift and air (12k).
This is a really nice song.

On mid-fields today...no cans! :)
Third mix: This is getting much better. I still think you're overdoing the destruction on the vocals when you use it...not that it's a bad thing (I agree with where you're using it), just pushed a bit too far.
I like the new intro. It works much better. Bass is solid and clear: could be louder. Highs are where they should be. The background vocals are pushing the mids and fighting for dominance during the steady rock in Zion part...couldn't make out the words well through the aahs.
No mud (to my ears) in the normal 150 and 300 ranges. Everything is identifiable and clear. No push on the vocals (2k). No bright sizzly cymbals (6k) Nice lift and air (12k).
This is a really nice song.

Thanks man! I've tried to minimize the distortion on the vocals now. I've reached a state with the song where I no longer dare to change anything, I know I'm not finished (not really sure what's missing) but I just got to leave it alone for now...

Couldnt leave it alone. Weird thing. In my mind its the best song and best mix Ive ever made, but the respons has been the direct opposite. Perhaps Im learning something here. Maybe Ive been wrong all along. :) Giving at a last chance though. Feel free (not pressured) to comment. :))

The first thing I noticed that the center of the mix is much louder and the edges are much softer.

The lead vocal has a lot of energy in the 2K-3K range. Needs a stronger low end.

The drums are way back in the mix.

The backing vox and the clean guitar are fighting with each other. There is just a lot of general buildup in the upper midrange.

The first thing I noticed that the center of the mix is much louder and the edges are much softer.

The lead vocal has a lot of energy in the 2K-3K range. Needs a stronger low end.

The drums are way back in the mix.

The backing vox and the clean guitar are fighting with each other. There is just a lot of general buildup in the upper midrange.

Thanks! This helps a lot. I can hear it (see the problem) when you say it. Kick and snare is in front and every other drum is wishywashy.

The backing vox and guitars was ment to complement eachother, following the same notes with lots of reverb. (like in grizzlybear -sleeping ute) I guess the effect I was looking for didnt work then. :)

Back