Corine Corinaaaaa!

Jazz is not my thing in any way shape or form and I'm not educated enough in it to give any decent advice but I will say that I think it sounds really good. I really enjoyed the track. (A very good/different take on it)

I found the lead instrument in the intro (Trumpet? Trombone?) was a touch too loud for the rest of the track but that's probably just nitpicking.

Top job :thumbs up:

There's something about the horns behind the vocal that needs to be changed. I'd be reaching for the fader to turn 'em down, but as soon as the vocal stops, they start sounding right again. So you could do that, and turn them down during the singing. Or you could turn the vocal up. But I'm still feeling that the horns are too murky still, and if you cut some low mids, you might not have to touch the faders on anything. Get rid of some of that low mid stuff on the horns and everything might sit more nicely. By the way, did you high pass everything? It just sounds a bit too heavy in the low end.

The tune's done really well and is worth mixing as well as you can. Good stuff.

This is really nicely done. Performances sound good, as does the mix for the most part. Only things that stuck out for me are the lead brass instruments that come in around the 7 seconds mark sound too harsh to me, like they've been pumped a bit. I think they're also a touch too loud.

Secondly the rhythm guitar line could come down a touch so that it's a little bit more of a background texture rather than something you consciously notice.

Nice work though.

Cool, I thought I knew that song. An old country tune . Nice rendition. Has a nice old time sound to it. I didn't get to listen to it totally as I am actually working, but is this in mono?

I didn't hear anything wrong but it is a very cool tune. But more big band than jazz (maybe I don't know the difference).

Nice.......well done..........but it needs a little depth and width in my opinion. It's not open enough and it sounds like all the instruments are crowded at the front of a stage. That also takes away from the subtle and not so subtle tonal differences between the instruments allowing lots of tones to wash over each other making the sound no where near as lively a feel as a live jazz band......which is what you are wanting......no? So......some slight panning........a tad of effects such as delay or reverb on certain tracks........a little EQ on some tracks for presence.......and I'll bet the whole thing comes to life. The vocal should be front and center at that point. Just my 2 cent opinion.................and I'm not sure it's worth more than that. I love the song by the way. Haven't heard that one in years.

Wow thanks for all the reviews.

I've noticed that most of you were saying the brass had some issues so i worked quite a few things on them (volumes, eq).

Next up i worked the reverb to give room to each instruments and I tryed to make it feel like a big old concert hall.

I worked the guitar like Rob proposed and that's about it so far.

DM60 was right its a Big Band hehe.

Thanks for all the replies.

Here's the latest version View attachment AbletonesBigBand - CorineCorine - Mix 3.mp3
If anyone wanna give it an other review.

Ok......to me it's much better. It could still use a little better sound stage but that may be just me. Now........think about the main vocal. It seems to sit better in the mix now..........but it sounds like it could use a tad....tenny bit of vocal mid to give it a little more body and tone. In an ordinary rock band mix I'd say you got it right........but this sort of relaxed big band style normally has a little more emphasis on the vocal. Think Sinatra.......ok........well maybe along those lines. Nice work. Thanks for letting me hear it.

I thought this sounded very good.

A couple things I would look at...

The instruments sound like they're in a different spot from the singer. The singer is bone dry, and the instruments have a little space to them.

The brass instrument tracks have just a hint of cloudiness. Nothing real bad at all. But I might take a look at the 300hz - 600hz octave and remove a *small* amount from it. See if it clears things up.

Other than that, I thought it sounded good.

I remember this as an early RnR song.
I can't hear what makes it jazz now excpet for a lighter touch on the ride and a horn section that's 1/2 Flames and half the Letterman band.
Go back & start the mix with the drums and bass - get them sorted.
Horns need to pull back a little during the vocal.
Go & listen to them live and try to recreate that.

Now that opened it up. Sounds like it is in stereo now. I liked it, went from good to better. Really nice work.

Good job on this mix. Listened to #6. Not much you need to fix. Maybe a little more compression on the guits...should do the trick(s). (had to keep it rhyming.)

For real, sounds good all the way around. If you were to ask me to nitpick, I'd suggest working on the guitar. It lacks any body and kind of comes out as being staccato/jangly and doesn't serve the song well. I believe a heavy dose of compression and keep it tucked under everything else.

Good space for everything else. Really nice job.

Now that opened it up. Sounds like it is in stereo now. I liked it, went from good to better. Really nice work.

Good job on this mix. Listened to #6. Not much you need to fix. Maybe a little more compression on the guits...should do the trick(s). (had to keep it rhyming.)

For real, sounds good all the way around. If you were to ask me to nitpick, I'd suggest working on the guitar. It lacks any body and kind of comes out as being staccato/jangly and doesn't serve the song well. I believe a heavy dose of compression and keep it tucked under everything else.

Good space for everything else. Really nice job.

Wow your comments are really appreciated, i'll work a little something for the guitars,

if you want to check out an other mix im doing right now im posting it in the clinic
its some kind of instrumental jungle-jazz or idk can't really name what it is

Thanks a bunch again :)

Back