"CONFLICTED" - Melodic Punk

DogmaticVox

Meh...
Hi all, it's been a really long time since I posted last (2014!) but it's good to be back.

Wanted to post this here and share as I learned a lot from this forum over the years. This is a track off my band's debut album which releases next month. We recorded/mixed everything ourselves. I'm happy to share anything if there are any questions.
Conflicted by Fallen Monuments

Thanks!

Bass needs more volume. Cymbals/hi-hat get buried with guitars in the same high frequency (buzzy) range.

Your lead guitar @ 1:13 with it's 1/4 notes is a nice touch - very melodic. I like that.
Thanks! I wrote the song around wanting to use that and the borrowed chord @ 1:26.

Bass needs more volume. Cymbals/hi-hat get buried with guitars in the same high frequency (buzzy) range.
This is definitely a guitar driven record, so they are on top of everything - but I hear you with the cymbals. I went back and forth a bunch on the levels and settled on where they are now; however, they are higher/lower on other songs depending on how much I felt like having them stick out - especially the hat.

Sounds pretty good. Congrats!
Thanks, Steve! Whatever happened to GregL?

I really liked the energy, the playing, and the atmosphere.

Guitars sound very good. Maybe just nudge too loud. The vocal is slightly back in the mix.

I think the bass could come up just bit. Tone is fine, just could use a db.

Double tracked vocals would be nice.

Just kind of suggestions.

I dig it! Great job man! I don't necessarily agree w TripleM about the guitars being too loud or vocals too low in volume per se, but I do think the guitars do sound "in front" of the vocals because they have more high frequencies than the vocals which effectively pushes the vocals back and guitars forward. IMO you should cut a little of the highest frequencies off the guitars and add a little to the vocals. Also, I agree that the bass needs more presence. Not necessarily low end because you don't want it muddy. I would consider creating a double of the bass track (if you haven't done so already), and putting a high pass on it and adding distortion to it, to make the bass louder in the low mid range (~300-800). The song writing, performance and energy is fantastic.

I thought this was really well mixed. With nits I could agree with MJB bass is a bit low and cymbals could be better. Thanks for bringing some punk to the forum.

Back