It comes down to love/ new song

I like this, it's an easy going song. Sorta Willie Nelson-like. Your electric guitar is a bit bright for my ear. The rest sounds good - like a live recording.

I had a restless night so bear with me.

The tremolo is a little much for my taste - seems like it's everywhere, all the time. Maybe do a little tweaking on the timing - seems like it's fast but not hitting right on the beat, like a triplet timing might, and it's too choppy, again, for me. I'd even dial it back for the straight rhythm.

I just have a feeling that the guitar break would fit the song theme/words if it felt more melodic, and less "etude-y" and didn't break up as harshly on the chord strokes, i.e., just a bit of beauty and relief from the story. Again, my opinion...

I'd like the bass to have more real bottom and a little less in its upper frequencies. It feels little overpresent there, and there's more interesting stuff between the keys, guitar and vocals that are competing in there that could have a turn.

But, there's kind of vocal click or something in there that's making it hard for me to really listen without getting focused on that. IMO it needs fixed, and then be careful with whatever FX you're putting on that vocal track that might be accentuating it. Maybe try something like a compressor filtered on the specific frequency where those things are (or a de-esser with enough knobs to zero in on it)? (Also, maybe revisit your mic choice here.) If I could just listen to the words without wondering what that was, I might have had a different opinion.

It all feels a little squashed to me. What do you have compressors on? It sounds like the vocals themselves are pretty compressed and then everything else is ducking them?

thanks for the input. I originally recorded the bass drums and guitar live with no vocal. unfortunately the drums and guitar were not isolated, the bass was direct. so I was trying to use what I had.I am going to have the drummer redo his part so I can redo the guitar there can be more variation and control of the tone etc. eventually we have a video project in mind for the song.

Clean guitars are way too bright, and probably a tad too loud, they're coming across harsh and fatiguing.

Hearing some digital clipping, mainly on the right side, but sometimes on both sides. I think the loud clean guitars are causing it.

Your voice sounds pretty good, almost a Gordon Lightfoot like (sp.?) A few pitch issues here and there, but nothing major.

I think it's definitely the guitars causing the clipping artifacts. Every time they come in, the digital distortion comes back. Definitely turn those loud parts down like 3 or 4 db, and EQ some high-mids out. That will clean up the song bigtime and give a much better starting point for mixing the rest of it.

Definitely has promise to be a good song and recording, just needs a little work.

Lots of midrange/Bright guitar EA that is hurting this song. Really twangy. If you EQ some of it out, it could be a lot better. Right now its just way forward and pretty harsh at times. The vocals sound good but they will need some EQ adjustments too. If your getting a lot of bleed between instruments it will be hard to get a clean mix.

Hey dude,

Great playing! I really like the sound you're going for. I think the lead guitar's a little hot in the mids, dig the balance of all the elements tho (particularly the keyboard instruments). I think the lead vocal could use some stronger compression too, as well as maybe a little editing.

Back