"Come and Get Them"--Epic Orchestral Piece

I just spent $8k on an upgrade to my home studio. Doesn't make it not in my home...
Great work on the piece, Aural. Really does sound like an orchestra.

Of course you do. $4000 plugins? Umptymillion gigabyte processing? You're just showing off and advertising a fully professional product on a site dedicated to amateurs of meagre means exercising their hobby. GTFO of my face.

I think you forgot for a moment you weren't in The Cave.

Come back when yo are feeling better

Bravo Po.

To be fair this really does sound way beyond what yer regular home-recordist can do. I guess that should mean a hearty round of kudos to the OP. Are you for fuckin' real, dude? I assume/hope you're getting paid for this.

Bravo Po.

To be fair this really does sound way beyond what yer regular home-recordist can do. I guess that should mean a hearty round of kudos to the OP. Are you for fuckin' real, dude? I assume/hope you're getting paid for this.

Ah, well that's quite generous. I guess it's hard to have an objective perspective on one's work, especially when you're so new to the industry, and no, I'm not being disingenuous/falsely humble here. I try not to have either a bad or good opinion of my stuff. I throw it out there and if other people think it's good, great; I'm on the right track. If they think it's bad, great; I know what not to do now :guitar:

And yes, I currently do this for a living. I mostly write for TV shows overseas under another composer (basically a ghostwriting gig). It's a lot of fun, but also a lot of work.

Amazing piece! I love it. I stand in awe of your talent....and am humbled at the same time....if you don't mind me asking, what kind of monitor set up are you mixing on?

Amazing piece! I love it. I stand in awe of your talent....and am humbled at the same time....if you don't mind me asking, what kind of monitor set up are you mixing on?

Thanks for the kind (and quite generous) words. I use JBL LSR-308's. They're VERY inexpensive ($400 for the pair) but sound amazing and offer a pleasantly accurate bass response with the 8" woofers. Before I got them I was working on KRK Rokit 5's gen2. The difference was pretty stark, although I can't say anything bad about the Rokits. They certainly did the job.

just added up my stuff (that is currently in use).. and believe me.. im a home recorder.. I have a little corner in the unfinished basement
new pc $800
pod HD $400
AT headphones $50
Mackie monitors and sub $550
Maudio Fast Track Pro $200
couple Agile guitars $1600
Superior drummer + couple expansions $550
Prominy Bass $150
Evolve $220
Reaper $60

various plugins from discount sites

Midi library - $80

If i did the math right... thats $4910

Thats totally a home recording setup...

good god I better not let my wife see this

That last comment TOTALLY cracked me up, but your point is well taken. It doesn't take a lot of gear to reach that "mystical" 4k mark. Welcome to HR, AA ... great stuff. I spun some of your other material, and wondered how you got the "female" singer that opens your "Seeds of Destiny - Bleeding Fingers" track. The closest thing I was able to come to in a singer was a vocaloid, yet she sounded totally "real". Was she?

That last comment TOTALLY cracked me up, but your point is well taken. It doesn't take a lot of gear to reach that "mystical" 4k mark. Welcome to HR, AA ... great stuff. I spun some of your other material, and wondered how you got the "female" singer that opens your "Seeds of Destiny - Bleeding Fingers" track. The closest thing I was able to come to in a singer was a vocaloid, yet she sounded totally "real". Was she?

Actually, the vocalist in that piece was real; I got the stem from the batch that you got with the competition (you had to orchestrate around it). That said, there are some quite convincing vocal libraries out there, including 8dio's "Requiem" and East West's choir libraries. You can get East West Symphonic Choir for pretty cheap these days and, IMO, with a bit of tweaking it's still the most versatile vocal library on the market.

"Come and Get Them" is piece I just finished up for a TV series. It's got a bit of the "epic trailer" kind of vibe in a few spots, but it's mostly just a standard "action" type cue. Let me know if you have any criticisms or thoughts, particularly with regards to the mix. Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/auralaxiom/come-and-get-them

Sounds retro, epic, Hollywood, conventional, well-done. You're not going to get too many criticisms from this crowd I predict.

Actually, the vocalist in that piece was real; I got the stem from the batch that you got with the competition (you had to orchestrate around it). That said, there are some quite convincing vocal libraries out there, including 8dio's "Requiem" and East West's choir libraries. You can get East West Symphonic Choir for pretty cheap these days and, IMO, with a bit of tweaking it's still the most versatile vocal library on the market.

Ah ... now it makes sense. I forgot to tell you that this track would also make for a great video game track. I could totally see it fitting into the background of anything in the "Legend of Zelda" series.

Wow, this is killer!! Impressive man. I bought a Gold edition of EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, but as I'm still running WinXP (I know) I can hardly run more than 3 master key switches simultaneously :(

To be fair this really does sound way beyond what yer regular home-recordist can do.
I'm afraid I don't agree. The East/West sample sets are amazing (and expensive) but there are others out there that are almost as good. It really depends more on skill set than the tools that you use, at least once you get beyond a 4-track cassette deck where you have to bounce tracks to build up an orchestral sound. I orchestrate on my own home system, both symphonic and non-traditional. I've sunk at least $4K into my system over the years (and its been many years) and it is, at least, technically capable of producing mixes of this quality. It's the talent I lack, not the tools. :)

Wow, this is killer!! Impressive man. I bought a Gold edition of EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, but as I'm still running WinXP (I know) I can hardly run more than 3 master key switches simultaneously :(

Yeah, you're actually hearing quite a bit of EWQLSO Gold (exactly what you have). Virtually all of the orchestral percussion--snare, timpani, not the ethnic stuff though--is SO, as well as the french horn rips in that one section. It's a great library, still very usable today (which says a lot about East West--that library came out yeeeears ago).

One nice thing about SO is that it's MUCH less CPU/RAM intensive as the Hollywood series. So occasionally if my session is getting too big--believe it or not sometimes I'm using 31.99 GB of RAM--I'll start throwing in SO instruments.

What's absolutely nuts is that East West just came out with Hollywood Orchestra--that's Hollywood Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, AND their new orchestral percussion--as a bundle at a greatly reduced price. It's really a fantastic value, especially when their biggest competitor, 8dio, is charging many many times more for libraries that IMO sound just as good but aren't quite as versatile. The biggest problem is finding a computer that can run it and having it set up right. I HAVE to stream all of my samples from external SSD's or the hard drive chokes :face palm:

Back