Come Die With Me feat. Heatmiser

fritsthegirl

Taste of home
The Heat agreed to mix this song for me. I redid the vocals from my first version, and went back to an old intro, but other than that all the improvements in sound are due to his excellent work. He played a new and improved bass track and everything, including shakers, and a tambo, plus performed all sort of wizardly on the mix. I think it's awesome.

Cheers heat. I'm not looking for comments on the mix really, I'm happy to leave it as is. I'm just posting it for fun. My favourite part is the bit where it all cuts out to nothing. When I 'wrote' that I hoped to achieve something interesting, but it wasn't until Heat had a go at it, that it really sounded like how I thought it should.

Thought you guys might want to hear it too. :)

The first is my old version, the second Heat's.

Anyone else noticed weirdness in the new soundcloud update btw? My upload didn't work until I went back to the old version.

HM's done a banging job with that. Really sounds glued together and gelling really well. I agree with Btyre with regards to the narration part. It's almost inaudible. needs cranking up a notch.

Other than that. :thumbs up: Brilliant!

interesting, it's certainly different from the original, not sure if I prefer the original intro or the new one... my only criticism is in the new mix the narration can be a little bit quiet especially at 1:03 onwards, but apart from that I like it more than the original mix.

Thanks for having a listen. I kind of like having the narration a bit quieter. The narration wasn't great to be honest, real amateur. I can see where you're coming from though, and would agree if I thought they were worth bringing up. :)

HM's done a banging job with that. Really sounds glued together and gelling really well. I agree with Btyre with regards to the narration part. It's almost inaudible. needs cranking up a notch.

Other than that. :thumbs up: Brilliant!

Thanks Mr C. The volume probably wasn't so much a mixing decision for Heat as it was 'coping with the crap tracks he was given'. :D I wasn't too bothered about keeping it in the end, I'd maybe like it if it died completely now. I'm not even sure it adds anything. I dunno, I think I just sound like a man when I talk. :laughings:

Heat's version is a really good mix, but I'm not crazy about the style. It's too Beatles-ish, and I hate the Beatles. The pounding flat drums and round bass make it just seem that way to me. I think I'd like more of a cross between your original mix and Heat's mix.

Heat's version is a really good mix, but I'm not crazy about the style. It's too Beatles-ish, and I hate the Beatles.

Do you not like Hey Bull Dog (I think that is the name)? That seems it would be closer to your liking.

You're right, it is very much the Magical Mystery Tour/St. Pepperish sounding (Did I hear a Pink Floyd/DSoM type chatter?). The Heat mix sounded fine to me. Good overall performance.

Thanks for letting me do this girl :thumbs up:.

I've hardly ever really mixed tracks other than my own before, so this was really fun for me. Unlike my own stuff, despite listening to this over and over again, I never got sick of it. I was just happy to get a chance to mess around with her tracks, especially the vocals.

I felt like in the 1st mix, the spoken word parts just dominated as if the music was just a backdrop. I guess I wanted it to be the reverse. I can hear them clearly if I focus on them, but otherwise, it's just kind of in the background.

I think very early on I alluded to Magical Mystery Tour with regard to this track. Although not really approaching those sounds, that is definitely the kind of feel I specifically had in mind here.

I'm glad you like it Trish!

I like the track.

I'm not totally convinced by the vocal treatment. The singing style and the quality of voice suggest a very contemporary vocal sound, like that of, say, Emiliani Torrini. I would be extremely interested to hear a remix using the backing as it is, but leaving the vocal very dry and giving it more presence in the mix. I would really like to draw out the whimsical character of the voice.

both mixes are cool, I really like the fullness/depth of HM's mix, very nice bass guitar.....definitely reminds me of early Floyd...nice vocal!

Idiot. Get off the road. The Big Ben version's different. But it's the overall sound of the second one that I like. It's always easier to do your own tune. That's why I'm impressed with Heat's mix - it isn't his tune. Don't throw out the previous one though.

My favourite part is the bit where it all cuts out to nothing. When I 'wrote' that I hoped to achieve something interesting, but it wasn't until Heat had a go at it, that it really sounded like how I thought it should.

Anyone else noticed weirdness in the new soundcloud update btw? My upload didn't work until I went back to the old version.

Both have merits and I quite like the buried dialogue parts in Heat's mix. It makes me strain to hear thus garnering my full attention. As a teen I frequently poured over recordings trying to hear hiddenbits.
The bass is round and beatlesque & it would either have to be that or a Rickenbaker tone for the song.
Both mixes serve the song. The voice is fabulous.

Cool! It's neat to hear the alternate interpretation of the mix.

I generally prefer Heat's mix. The arrangement is a little more interesting, and the vocals mesh together better.
Not crazy about the panning on the narration though. I'd have liked to hear that move back and forth a bit, especially with the male/female dialog.

Wow, Pete's mix sounds great - you've come up with something pretty excellent between the two of you. Was thinking about this earlier in the week as in the local news a cyclist was sadly killed in Manchester after being hit by a cement mixer truck.

It's not here for mix critique's so I'll just leave it as it is - not that I'm sure I have much anyway. Actually there are a few small jumps in the intro guitar. Were they unavoidable or something in the file conversion? Excellent stuff though :)

It's not here for mix critique's so I'll just leave it as it is - not that I'm sure I have much anyway. Actually there are a few small jumps in the intro guitar. Were they unavoidable or something in the file conversion?

Addict. :laughings:

Back