Colours of the Day

Agreed to others on the rhythm guitar reverb, tone it down some. During the guitar lead you've got piano notes on top of the organ (which I don't hear anywhere else in the song except at the end), might be too much overall sound at that point.

Nice tune! Reggae undertones, good lyrics, nice playing. My only pick on this fine song is hearing a bit too much snare, but again, that fits pretty well in the Reggae vibe...did notice the lead guitar was killing itself on occasion, but that's already been addressed...
Great work :D

Thanks BH! I was on vacation last week ... so I couldn't have changed anything if I'd wanted to. But I tended to the mix as per some of the suggestion made.

New mix is up top ... but I:

- Gated the reggae git to dry it up (reverb tails are gone)
- Pulled back the delay on the lead guitar and brought it more center.
- Brought the snare down just a smidge
- Pulled back on the lead vocal delay

---------- Update ----------

It comes across just a little aggressive.
In terms of insturmentation/inflection it's more like the Rumour than Squeeze.
Pub Rock was my era & I saw Squeeze in a pub a just a couple of miles from home (which is amazing as I was a Westie in the burbs of Sydney). In those days ... well I shan't go on.
This is cool but still needs a little work. The delay is a little OTT, some of the reggae stabs were a bit harsh but the package is a good one.

I think it's the mastering plugs that are lending the aggressive feel, Ray. I pulled back on those in the new mix too. Thanks for the thoughts, bud!

---------- Update ----------

Agreed to others on the rhythm guitar reverb, tone it down some. During the guitar lead you've got piano notes on top of the organ (which I don't hear anywhere else in the song except at the end), might be too much overall sound at that point.

I did just that on the reverb ... but I had to gate it because the reverb was in the sound itself. Did it help? Thanks for the comments MJB!

Actually ... here's a third page link for the new mix ... so things don't get cut off jumping around the pages ...

This is quite impressive, maybe as impressive as anything I've heard on this site. After 5 seconds of the song, what popped in my head was "David Bowie sings one of the 2 or 3 good Supertramp songs in existence with Joe Jackson in there somewhere".

And the bass is a little loud.

Back