Collaboration with Miroslav and jordo!

Sorry for being so obscure. I got a line of thought here that I think is completely justifiable. I got no issue with your voice or how you sang it. But the lyrics go on about alcohol so much that I reckon that you absolutely have to sing this one drunk. And don't you get all coy on me and tell me you WERE drunk when you sang this one cuz plain and simple you don't sound drunk. If it had been me, I'd have downed a bottle of wine first and then sang it. I would've sounded like I'd drunk a bottle of wine too. :D

LMAO.
I quit drinkin 8 years ago.
But, for the recordings sake.....
Time ta get DRUUUUUUUNK!!!!
:D

DenDaj: thanks for listening and commenting. I'm gonna tame the shaker on the remix.

CMolena: thanks for those kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the tune and I appreciate you giving it a listen.

4tracker: thanks for listening and the critique. I very much appreciate it and I will see if I can eq the harshness out of the shaker.

Nice Jimmy Buffet meets old country sound here. I think you could back off on the vocal reverb and still be fine. Or at least darken the reverb a bit. The shaker on the right is a little loud. Actually as I listen to it more, it's way too loud. I think that the left side clean guitar could come forward just a touch during its solo parts too. Just a little bit. The steel guitar is a little lost during the whole song, but I'm not sure how it should fit in here, no helpful advice there. I think the mix as a whole is a little bright/brittle. I'd hate to hear the high end sucked out of it, but there's a lot of activity in that 5k-8k region (just a guess on frequencies, don't hold me to that). Maybe look at the electric guitar, vocal reverb, and snare drum as potential things to darken just a bit.

Fun song, I like the vocals here. You've got a classic country voice. It's good to hear some country that isn't all broseph.

The vox at the beginning - well actually the whole thing seemed very loud from the get go. I became used to it quickly enough though.
I recognize the names but haven't tasted any of the drinks mentioned.
then again I haven't tasted or swallowed any booze since about 1997.

Tadpui- Thanks for the mixing advice. I appreciate it very much
. I haven't had time to do a remix since I posted it and plan on doing some work on it today. I'm going to use all the critiques on this thread and hopefully come up with a much better mix. I realize that I mixed on it for too long last time and my ears were shot. that why the shaker was so loud.
thanks again!

rayc- I appreciate the listen man. Country vocals are normally mixed pretty loud, but maybe I got too carried away. thanks for your input, I really appreciate it

Well after ...all kidding aside...I found out I'm almost deaf to high pitched sounds in one ear. Thanks to the comments that the shaker was too loud. I thought you guys were insane. Then I turned my back to the monitors while the song was playing and the shaker jumped out at me. I put one ear up to the monitor and can barely hear the shaker and put the other ear up to it and its waaaaaay too loud. I guess too many 100 watt marshall gigs in the late 70s and early 80s did the trick on it.
I turned the shaker down and tried to incorporate the suggestions y'all gave me.
Thanks for the help and Im open to anything that can improve this second mix.

Anyway, here is my second swing at this mix.

https://soundcloud.com/jimistone/lost-remix

Well after ...all kidding aside...I found out I'm almost deaf to high pitched sounds in one ear.

Haha! I was wondering why the shaker switched sides...

Dude.. This mix is significantly better than the first. Heading in the right direction. As it is, it sounds like a great old-timey mix with a bit of polish. ... and ya know, I probably wouldn't change it. It's nice and tight now, and I'm enjoying it. Soft and subtle. The shaker fits right in now. Yup... I love it. Good mojo.

When I listen to a mix and find myself forgetting I'm critiquing, and instead just listening and getting lost in the song, It's probably good enough for me. Great work, and kudos on a much better mix.

This sounds great to me, and agree it's much improved from the original mix. Love the dual pedal-steel and double-stop lead. I can't think of anything I'd change (other than fading out a bit earlier, as you already said you'd do).

I guess too many 100 watt marshall gigs in the late 70s and early 80s did the trick on it.

eh, I have the same issue. Trying to do good sounding recordings with ears that have a hard time hearing perfectly makes everything a bear to work with sometimes. Thats why I like letting others here listen to my stuff hoping others don't have the same issue lol

Second mix sounds better. I do agree with Ray that the vocals may be a tad too loud and in your face, but for the style it may be ok.

I wouldn't change the vocal one iota! particularly when you say "3 in the moooorning!" :D
Steel guit and lead guit sound great.
Nits:
-Shaker is a bit too prominent.Not so much in 2nd mix, though.
-a few minor timing issues imbedded in the basic track.Totally appropriate for a drinking song!
Hats off, gentlemen!

PoeticIntensity
Thanks for taking time to listen to the remix. I know by experience how hard it is to find time to listen to a lot of songs once....let alone twice. I value you advice and tried to incorporate you suggestions into the remix.

jm67
Thanks for listening and the kind words. I appreciate it!

Bruthish
Thanks for giving the remix a listen. Like I told PoeticIntensity, I tried to incorporate your suggestions in this 2nd mix...bringing the bass and drums up a tad and trying to trim up some of the buildup in the 250k area to clean things up. I really appreciate the advice you have given me! As far as the vocal, im still not completely happy with it. It has a bit of brittleness that bugs the shit out of me and lacks something in the low mid. When I get the brittleness out its not crisp enough and when i try to fatten it up its flabby sounding. I know some of this may be limitations of my microphones but I believe , even though its very difficult sometimes, the sound I want is there...I just have to chitsle away what I dont want until I get the diamond thats in the peice of coal.

Beez
How else would you expect a hillbilly like me to enunciate "moooorning"?
LMAO
I agree that miro did a great job on steel and I can't thank him enough. On the timing...
Yeah, when I started laying out this song it had perfect timing and I said "Hold on a damn minute! This is a drinking song and it's never going to work without some timing issues!" So, I strategically planted timing issues in select passages of the song....on purpose....to really nail down that drinking song groove that can be sooooo evasive.
;)
LOL But seriously...
We just did the old "1 and uh 2 and uh 3..." and played it with no click or timing grid. Im using a click and timing grid now....this is probably going to be my last "count her off and play" recording.
Thanks for listening and commenting Beez old buddy!

Great energy and performance all around. Love that pedal steel! I'd like to hear more of acoustic guitar shimmering throughout (maybe a slight boost around 2-4k?, just a guess). It gets a little lost when everything kicks in. I'm listening on Focal Spirit Pro headphones, so it might just be the cans. Never heard this song before; it's great. Maybe you should cut and paste that "yee ha!" somewhere before the fade.

Great energy and performance all around. Love that pedal steel! I'd like to hear more of acoustic guitar shimmering throughout (maybe a slight boost around 2-4k?, just a guess). It gets a little lost when everything kicks in. I'm listening on Focal Spirit Pro headphones, so it might just be the cans. Never heard this song before; it's great. Maybe you should cut and paste that "yee ha!" somewhere before the fade.

thanks for listening and for the suggestions on improving the mix. I'm going to let this one stay as is for a while because I have some other songs I need to finish up. I will keep your suggestions in mind when I return to this mix.

Listened to the second mix.

I like this. I feel like I should be sitting at my local watering hole with a bunch of old dudes, drinking the night away and listening to fascinating stories of the good old days. That's just the image I get. Yeah, I'm a bit off.

Getting a lot of congestion/honkiness around the 700Hz - 800Hz range. A relatively significant dip there will open this mix up considerably. Doing it on the 2 bus will be just as effective (probably more so, actually) as doing it on individual tracks.

Other than that, I really like everything I am hearing. I think the mix is excellent. Everything is well balanced and sitting right where it should be sitting, IMO. An adjustment like the one mentioned above would really benefit this track though (at least in my mix space, it would).

Love the plucky guitar.

Enjoying it more with subsequent listens :).

The reverb on the vocals is quite present in the intro (love it) but then it just sorta doesn't seem as noticeable. This is not a critique on it being gone, as the vocals sound great and natural - Is it mixed down or just naturally blend in? Just an observation - just a mix query.
The mix has a tinge of something - almost like a tiny distortion pedal was used. It's a cool color but at times it seemed pushed a bit. Subjective though - the color (as I call it) has a cool personality.
Amazing playing by everyone involved - big shout out to the shaker player :) Your vocal delivery was perfect for this song. You keep putting out some gems!

Listened to the second mix.

I like this. I feel like I should be sitting at my local watering hole with a bunch of old dudes, drinking the night away and listening to fascinating stories of the good old days. That's just the image I get. Yeah, I'm a bit off.

Getting a lot of congestion/honkiness around the 700Hz - 800Hz range. A relatively significant dip there will open this mix up considerably. Doing it on the 2 bus will be just as effective (probably more so, actually) as doing it on individual tracks.

Other than that, I really like everything I am hearing. I think the mix is excellent. Everything is well balanced and sitting right where it should be sitting, IMO. An adjustment like the one mentioned above would really benefit this track though (at least in my mix space, it would).

Love the plucky guitar.

Enjoying it more with subsequent listens :).

Thanks for checking it out kindafishy. I will see of I can tame that frequency a bit and open up the mix. I don't really know what "2 bus" means...are you talking about one eq for the right side and one for the left....and cutting that frequency on each side of the stereo mix?
thanks for the listen and comments, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
The reverb on the vocals is quite present in the intro (love it) but then it just sorta doesn't seem as noticeable. This is not a critique on it being gone, as the vocals sound great and natural - Is it mixed down or just naturally blend in? Just an observation - just a mix query.
The mix has a tinge of something - almost like a tiny distortion pedal was used. It's a cool color but at times it seemed pushed a bit. Subjective though - the color (as I call it) has a cool personality.
Amazing playing by everyone involved - big shout out to the shaker player :) Your vocal delivery was perfect for this song. You keep putting out some gems!

Thanks ido1957. I left the verb on the vocal all the way through without any automation. it's just hard to hear it with everything going. I actually thought about cutting it back on the naked vocal intro...but I decided to leave it as is. Jordo is the percussionist on this tune. He not only did a great job on the shaker but IMO the percussion is what really makes this tune flow and groove.
thanks for the listen Ido!

Listening to mix #2...

The shaker is better here, it could still come down just a bit, or maybe have some of the high-mids or highs trimmed off of it. I think you could get away with less reverb on the vocal still. It's a good vocal take, no need to mask it with reverb, and the song style doesn't really call for it.

This mix sounds much better overall.

Back