Collaboration with Miroslav and jordo!

jimistone

long standing member
This is an old obscure DAC song.
El jordo layed down that cool island groove with percussion. THANKS Jordo....you're a great player my friend!

Miroslav played the pedal steel contraption and gave it that sweet country twang.....THANKS miro, I couldn't have done it without you my friend!

The mix could probably be better although it's sounding ok to my ears. As always any advice is MUCH appreciated.
I'm gonna fade the end but I just let the tune run out of gas because I love Jordos "Yee Haw!" on the end.
:D

Listen to Lost 1st Mix by jimistone
FIRST MIXED DESTROYED DUE TO EARDRUM DAMAGE FROM SHAKER VOLUME
:)

My 2nd swing at it:

https://soundcloud.com/jimistone/lost-remix

Last edited:
Really cool vibe on this one, man. A few things I noticed was that the shaker thing going on hard right is very, very loud. It could probably be attenuated about 8 db and still be defined. The drums lack a lot of definition.

Guitars sound pretty good, although it seems there's some low-mid mud around. Not sure where it's coming from, but it's fairly thick. I think the snare is getting masked behind it. It could be the bass, not sure.

The mix sounds pretty disjointed to me. I think it's a matter of things being recorded in different studios, without being properly treated with some mild reverb / compression to gel... The wide panning of everything is also probably contributing a bit to it too.

Love the vocals and vibe. Listened to the whole thing, and enjoyed all 4+ minutes of it. Great song. Thanks for sharing!

This is an old obscure DAC song.
El jordo layed down that cool island groove with percussion. THANKS Jordo....you're a great player my friend!

Miroslav played the pedal steel contraption and gave it that sweet country twang.....THANKS miro, I couldn't have done it without you my friend!

The mix could probably be better although it's sounding ok to my ears. As always any advice is MUCH appreciated.
I'm gonna fade the end but I just let the tune run out of gas because I love Jordos "Yee Haw!" on the end.

Listen to Lost 1st Mix by jimistone #np on #SoundCloud
Lost 1st Mix by jimistone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Nope. Somebody's gotta do the vocal again.

Poeticintensity: Thanks for the listen. I appreciate your recommendations and I'm going to tweak this mix some more. On the drums the percussion is covering the snare and I haven't had good luck in remedying that. I haven't eq'd the percussion parts...they are as jordo recorded them. I may be able to trim some low mid there...I dunno. I didn't mess with them because I thought they sounded good as is. I have a couple of acoustic track...may be some low mid mud there.although I did a high pass on them. I will also experiment with the panning a bit more. the shaker panned hard right and the clav hard left may not be working as well as I thought it would.
thanks again!

Dobro: You don't like my singing? My lip is quivering now ....I think I'm gonna cry.
Seriously, can you eloborate a bit more on why you think the vocal needs to be redone. Pitch issues? de-essing? Timing? Just don't like the voice for this song?
Throw me a bone here man. :)
Thanks for listening and commenting dobro, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I have no mix comments, I just enjoyed the track. I like a bit of DAC every now and then. I think you've done this one a good justice.

Sounds great to me here. You could probably tweak the mix here and there but there's no deal breakers here for me.

Good stuff lads :thumbs up:

Thanks Mr Clean.
I haven't drank a drop in 8 years, but listening to this makes me want a cold one.
lol

Good hearing something like this! I really enjoyed it. Couple of suggestions. I think the bass and drums need to be a little more prominent. Even if you were going for that "behind the mix" sound, they are still really low(to me at least). And as stated previously, that shaker needs to come waaaay down. Great song though!

Thanks bruthish.
I agree, after listening several times, that the drums and bass need to come up and the shaker should come down.
I appreciate you listening and giving advice. ..also the kind words.

I fucking hate country music!! lol No, seriously.

You guys did this well. Not qualified to critique but the playing is good and vocals are fine.

Hey Jimi, nothing to do with this thread but wanted you to know that I listened to some of your other stuff and think its really cool man!

It was all by the seat of my pants.

Actually...there weren't even any pants...I was flying naked, in the dark, looking for a place to crash land.

I thought overall it sounded pretty good. I liked the tone on everything.

I think it could use a stronger vocal performance. A couple of small pitch issues and some tentative notes.

Other than that, I thought it was good.

It was all by the seat of my pants.

Actually...there weren't even any pants...I was flying naked, in the dark, looking for a place to crash land.
You did great!
If you want to play on another one I'm working on a couple, that need steel, as we speak. I would love to do another collab.

I thought overall it sounded pretty good. I liked the tone on everything.

I think it could use a stronger vocal performance. A couple of small pitch issues and some tentative notes.

Other than that, I thought it was good.

Actually, the vocal was a quick sing through so the track I gave jordo, to put percussion to, would have a vocal. I wasn't planning on it being a keeper. I listened to it several times and decided it sounded OK. maybe I have listened so many times that I'm oblivious to the pitch issues. The thing that bugged me, about the vocal, was the mispronouciation of "Pina" in Pina Colada. But, it wasn't worth retracing the vocal for that one thing.
I'll probably resing it.
Thanks TripleM

Hey Jimi, nothing to do with this thread but wanted you to know that I listened to some of your other stuff and think its really cool man!
thanks man.
It nice to know someone enjoys your tunes. I appreciate you letting me know you gave them a listen.
:)

Besides the great performance, I think the feel of the song is amazing. Reminds me of K-Rose in GTA SA.

The performance has a little bit of flaws, but that makes the song amazing for me. The vocals and guitars are amazing, great performance.

I dont usually dig country music, but this is gold! You guys should make a whole record, hahaha.

This song was a lot of fun and captured the spirit of music.
My only complaint, regarding the recording, would be the shaker sounds harsh (sounds like a cheap SDC mic with too much upper transient boost).

Poeticintensity: Thanks for the listen. I appreciate your recommendations and I'm going to tweak this mix some more. On the drums the percussion is covering the snare and I haven't had good luck in remedying that. I haven't eq'd the percussion parts...they are as jordo recorded them. I may be able to trim some low mid there...I dunno. I didn't mess with them because I thought they sounded good as is. I have a couple of acoustic track...may be some low mid mud there.although I did a high pass on them. I will also experiment with the panning a bit more. the shaker panned hard right and the clav hard left may not be working as well as I thought it would.
thanks again!

Dobro: You don't like my singing? My lip is quivering now ....I think I'm gonna cry.
Seriously, can you eloborate a bit more on why you think the vocal needs to be redone. Pitch issues? de-essing? Timing? Just don't like the voice for this song?
Throw me a bone here man. :)
Thanks for listening and commenting dobro, I appreciate it.

Sorry for being so obscure. I got a line of thought here that I think is completely justifiable. I got no issue with your voice or how you sang it. But the lyrics go on about alcohol so much that I reckon that you absolutely have to sing this one drunk. And don't you get all coy on me and tell me you WERE drunk when you sang this one cuz plain and simple you don't sound drunk. If it had been me, I'd have downed a bottle of wine first and then sang it. I would've sounded like I'd drunk a bottle of wine too. :D

Back