Collaboration with Miroslav and jordo!

Second mix: sounds good on the Avantone, and sounds good and fuller on the monitors. Good and fuller.

I actually listened to this a week ago and I know I was going to bitch about the shaker volume, but I was exhausted and hammered and went to bed right after listening. The mix you have on there now sounds good through my Sony headphones that cost me $30. I like the song, too. I like DAC but never heard this one. DAC is pretty badass. DAC don't take no guff and DAC does what he do.

I appreciate you giving the remix a listen. Yeah, Coe is badass. Coe is also one of the most underage songwriters out there. His fantastic writing is overshadowed by his image as an outlaw. (an image that he himself has fueled by the way)

Oh yeah, he had no problem singing about his prison time and other things that would put him on the fringe. I suppose he could be called somewhat of a shameless self-promoter, but hell, the guy was trying to make a living as a musician. He found a niche he was comfortable with and probably had to exaggerate less than most outlaw country guys, with regard to his "I'm a badass" lyrics. And to draw a parallel to later times... unlike Ice Cube, he never starred in any family-friendly comedies.

Oh yeah, he had no problem singing about his prison time and other things that would put him on the fringe. I suppose he could be called somewhat of a shameless self-promoter, but hell, the guy was trying to make a living as a musician. He found a niche he was comfortable with and probably had to exaggerate less than most outlaw country guys, with regard to his "I'm a badass" lyrics. And to draw a parallel to later times... unlike Ice Cube, he never starred in any family-friendly comedies.

Check out his 1974 album "Mysterious Rhinestone Cowboy". He is in superb voice, his songwriting is amazing, and the production is probably better than on any other album he ever released. I'm my opinion it is the most underated country album ever. There is a song, on that album, Coe wrote about a long haired freedom living hippie talking about old WWII vets sitting around playing checkers and talking to him titled "Old man tell me". That song, in itself, proves Coe is a lot better writer than he usually gets credit for being

Thanks Mr Clean.
I haven't drank a drop in 8 years, but listening to this makes me want a cold one.
lol
31 for me - but this song does pull you back, huh?

I loved it! I think the vocals are just right. The pedal steel is fantastic - don't mean to single it out - it's all good. Except the shaker - I'm sorry man, you might have to euthanize that thing - I wanted to kick over my left monitor for the whole song. When soundcloud rolled over to the next song in your rotation, it was like "aaaaahhhh it's gone..."

Maybe pan it more center and take out a ton of 4K-5K?

31 for me - but this song does pull you back, huh?

I loved it! I think the vocals are just right. The pedal steel is fantastic - don't mean to single it out - it's all good. Except the shaker - I'm sorry man, you might have to euthanize that thing - I wanted to kick over my left monitor for the whole song. When soundcloud rolled over to the next song in your rotation, it was like "aaaaahhhh it's gone..."

Maybe pan it more center and take out a ton of 4K-5K?

I think the general consensus around here is that I cannot be trusted with a shaker track.
lol

I'm late to the party here, but awesome track.

I agree with the others, that shaker just bothers me. (maybe throw it to the center and drop it back or something, I dunno it's just way too in my face). Right at the start of the song I heard an acoustic guitar that sounded like it hadn't been tuned in about 20 years and I thought "oh god, please don't let it go like this" and then BAMMMMM an amazing cover kicked off. I'm not really qualified to offer much else in terms of criticism, I am not a huge country fan but I still enjoyed listening. The steel sounds awesome, the percussion was cool sounding, and your voice sounded as good as any I've heard.

Keep doing whatever you're doing, because it kicks ass.

I'm late to the party here, but awesome track.

I agree with the others, that shaker just bothers me. (maybe throw it to the center and drop it back or something, I dunno it's just way too in my face). Right at the start of the song I heard an acoustic guitar that sounded like it hadn't been tuned in about 20 years and I thought "oh god, please don't let it go like this" and then BAMMMMM an amazing cover kicked off. I'm not really qualified to offer much else in terms of criticism, I am not a huge country fan but I still enjoyed listening. The steel sounds awesome, the percussion was cool sounding, and your voice sounded as good as any I've heard.

Keep doing whatever you're doing, because it kicks ass.
Hey, I tuned that guitar 15 years ago I'll have you know!
lol
thanks for the kind words and critique. I appreciate you giving it a listen!

I love it Jimi. As somebody mentioned, it's got Jimmy Buffet vibe once it gets going. Great vocals, guitars and steel. If I had a critique to make, it would be that the mix feels a little crowded for the genre. A bit less happening on the drums and some air between the bass, guitars and steel would work for me. It's cool that you've got a collaboration going with others on the forum. I'd love to do that, but my skills are not up to par to hang with you guys.

I love it Jimi. As somebody mentioned, it's got Jimmy Buffet vibe once it gets going. Great vocals, guitars and steel. If I had a critique to make, it would be that the mix feels a little crowded for the genre. A bit less happening on the drums and some air between the bass, guitars and steel would work for me. It's cool that you've got a collaboration going with others on the forum. I'd love to do that, but my skills are not up to par to hang with you guys.

Reminds me more of John Hiatt. So what? I mean, John Hiatt wouldn't have found this too crowded for his genre, he'd have wallowed in it.

Your skills are up to it if you do it. Simple.

Thanks Robus. I agree that there is a lot going on within this tune. I have to learn to pick and chose what to mix in and what the scrap when mixing. I brought everything out in the mix. And I was trying to find an accordion player to play on this too. lol
(I still think a squeeze box doing some Cajun style playing would sound killer on this)

thanks for giving it a listen....I thought this thread was dead and havent checked on it in a while.

Reminds me more of John Hiatt. So what? I mean, John Hiatt wouldn't have found this too crowded for his genre, he'd have wallowed in it.

Your skills are up to it if you do it. Simple.

Thanks for listening dobro!
I agree on his skills being up to it. Just find someone to collaborate with and do it Robus. It's a blast!

Hey, I just wanted to say, since this thread has been resurrected, that the drummer on this track has been diagnosed with lung cancer....late stage I believe. It's a very sad and stressful time for him, his family, and me too.
He is not only the drummer I have played in bands with for 35+ years....he is my best friend. It's with a heavy heart I post this and I may be wrong but...

This may very well be his last recording.

Please pray for him and his family.

Back