A collaboration with IanW-UK

Really nice guitar work. Especially the lead. Nice song with nice groove and hook. I like it real well.

the higher guitar is hiding the vocals.. the best part about your music is always the vocals, so it should be easy to hear them.. they should always be the loudest thing in your music.. right now the guitar is the loudest..

other than that, great song! the mix is a little crisp imop..

That Sabbath dude called the shot, the bright guitar just a tad strong. Nice arrangement. Real good story, performance, and mix... as usual :)

Sounds good man. Vocals could be a bit higher. The mix is over-powering them a bit.

(sorry I never got around to doing this one man. :( I may still cover this one yet... whenever I get around to covering that other tune of yours that I'm gonna do. :p)

WATYF

The guitar playing is par excellence. Performance is generally strong and sincere. A look into the self is great material to work with. Thank you for sharing.

I know you want to be fair to Ian and make certain that his collaborative work with you is showcased well for the other board members, and your eventual fans and purchaser's of your CD. And Ian's guitar playing is a joy, well written, and a well performed part. Is there some bass in here ?

You are the star, (your vocal), the character you sing about, real or illusion, the person we the listener see you creating and growing
in this song, is more important than either of your guitars, or what either of you may want from this performance. In order for us to fully enjoy what you do with the lyrics, we the listener must of course hear them in the most up front mix possible.

There is only one performance flaw I have an issue with and that is your glissando up a half step on the word 'door'. Your vocal is getting caught up in some sort of tension, and that little glissando becomes raspy, forced and out of tune. It creates a big contrast in the rest of the vocal. To pull this little bit off here, you need to relax and let that out gently, instead of pushing it out hard and clamping down on it, and you do this again on 'you', it's a bit better there.

At the very end of the song, you let out the word 'all' in a very relaxed and submissive fashion. If you do this on 'door' and 'you', it will be smashing. Let it go, submit, release that tension, let that anxiety out ... easy ... gentle ... master it.

Many hats to wear, many tasks.

Listen to Richard Monroe's mix of 'Woodsman's Lay'. His most recent post might still be on the first page. Your vocal types are similar. He is telling a story there and his vocal is mixed hot and on top and out front, and after they do some serious work on that song, he will be mixed even more so. It would be nice if Richard would find the time to do a review of your and my work seeing as how we are all on the board together at this time ;-)

I did five of his in a row, and he's sitting wondering when I'll get around to the other two ! LOL

We the listener will 'connect' ... to this character you sing about ... and these feelings, but you challenge our connection when the vocal is 'down in the mix'.

Your natural vocal, without any EQ at all is a dream to mix. And there is a reason for that,
it's dyanamite, and it sits perfectly in the middle tenor range. Don't put the dynamite in a bottle :D

Humiliate yourself to your vocal, (as a mixing engineer), at ALL COSTS . Ian will understand ... will you ? ;-)

Your vocal will sell the CD's , your lyrics will sell the CD's. People aren't going to buy your CD for your guitar playing, or pennywhistle playing, fiddle playing, or upright piano playing ... they are going to buy it for the story's and for your vocal. You have no big star names appearing as guests on your CD to push it ... it's all your vocal. The whole CD depends on a proper mix of your vocal. Your vocal should be brilliant and dynamic throughout every, single song.

This storybook or book of storysongs you have created will sell CD's.

The fan must never be challenged to either understand, or fully enjoy your vocal as the undisputed lead, it is the most powerful instrument in the songs, yet you know by now, the most difficult to mix properly for many different reasons. It is a reed buzzing encased in a mound of flesh and there is nothing in the world like mixing that sound, it is the ultimate challenge, and the better the vocal, the more crucial mixing the vocal becomes to making the song a Hit ... in this genre.

All you have to do ... is LOWER THE INSTRUMENTS, don't raise the vocal. There are some panning and EQ techniques you can use effectively on the guitars. But the most effective technique is to push the faders down on the guitars. I'd like to hear some backup vocals, and think in terms of the vowels - i - and - e - , these are good long sustained vowel-sound-backup-harmony vocals for the first person introspective work. Think keening.

And with this song, I hear you beginning your third CD. What you do here is a departure because you are strongly in first person.
You are observing within now, and seriously, I suggest yoga classes, and there are some sweet ladies in the yoga classes believe me ;-)
I look forward to the next songs you share with us.

another vote for making the vocals louder. nice song erland. of course they are all nice. still looking forward to telling my kids ' i knew erland cooper back when ....etc......etc....etc.'

can't wait to hear the whole cd.

p.s. anytime you need a drum track.........you know where to find me ;)

studioviols said:

People aren't going to buy your CD for your guitar playing...

actually, i'd buy it just for the guitar playing. erland's one of the better guitar players i've ever heard. i mean it would be really stupid of him not to sing, but the guy is a brilliant guitar player as well.

erichenryus said :
--------------------------------------------
i'd buy it just for the guitar playing
--------------------------------------------
I'm learning !

Nice guitars

Good piece, but you buried the vocals. Bring those vocal up to the top!

Bright guitar is a little hot.

Very rich instrumental mix when the vocals drop out--awesome.

Well done

Here's a shocker...

VOX ARE A TAD ON THE LOW SIDE...

(did anybody mention that?)

-You know, it's really kind of funny, b/c they're not really mixed that low...it's just that we're used to hearing Erland's voice sitting HUGE on top of about one guitar, lol.

I'm gonna' read this now soas to know who did what. With you, coop... (for me and me only) ... your tunes usually hit me about 50% of the time. Don't misunderstand me - I'm ALWAYS impressed, but you know that "thing" that makes you tell everybody in the car to be quiet so that you can hear a song on the radio that you haven't heard before? That "thing" hits me in about half of the songs you sing. I need more vocal to decide if this is one of the "thing" songs, lmao.

IAN - you just continue to surprise and delight. Remember when you were posting :30 guitar clips of covers? Well, okay, those still ruled, but it's good to see you finishing stuff, lol. :D :D

Nice work Gentlemen...(now fix it)

Nice job guys. Always a pleasure. Vocals sounded very nice. Liked the verb. Very nice space you created Ian.

There are some mix issues:

The left guitar is loud and crispy IMO. Bring it down and tame some highs. That should bring your vocal out front more where it should be. Guitar playing is nice.

Also, I have some issues with the bass. There are some syncing issues. The timing is off on some of the notes. You come in late at :55 (the first note) and there other times as well. I think the bass is nice and actually warms things up quite a bit and I like the part. I think once it comes in it should stay in though. It seems to come in an out. That's just a preference thing though.

Really look forward to hearing a remix of this. It's worth the effort.

Good effort guys. Some erichenryus drums might be nice too. ;) :)

edit - forgot to say very nice song

Vocals get lost in the chorus. I like twangy crisp guitar sounds, but the acoustic tracks could use a bit of dry "thud".
Liked the arrangement a lot.

dude...really nice song.

edit: dudes

thanks for listening

Hi, when I sent Ian the song I had that guitar way to loud and crisp. It was all mixxed down so he did a great job of trying to fix the song. Unfortuanetly I will have to redo the guitar and vocal to split the tracks and raise the singing.

HevyD47Ca. Thanks for listening. A band would be great.

kjam22. Ian is awsome at the guitar. Cheers for having a listen.

B.SABBATH. Thanks Sabbath for listening. I think I may just re record my end to fix it.

Toki987. Wonded how many posts it would take to call the shot. Thanks for that man.

WATYF. Cool man, hey what was that other tune?

studioviols. Hi Pat, I always admire your reviews. They are clear and concise. I really appreciate what your saying about the vocal. I listened to Richard Monroes songs. They are nice and the vocal does sit out loud clear. I dont like the singing in this one. I need to redo my end to solve the problems. I sent Ian another song with guitars and vocal separate so he can mix it. I think the vocal will come out stronger. Thanks for your time and advice.

erichenryus. Louder, ok. Cheers eric, you play the drums? ;)

sloop. Cheers sloop thanks for checking it out.

chrisharris. Lol. cheers. On the case.

lynx. Nice one mate.

skids. Great of you to drop by. Yes you spotted the main problem. My crips guitar. Hope to fix it somehow but will probably mean redooing the whole song because I had my guitar mixed with vocal and so Ian couldn`t change that. My fault. Cheers.

Doug H. Thanks dude. Yup on the case.

Thanks again guys

Erland

I thought the guitar on the right was a bit too bright in the beginning, and then as the song progressed, I thought that both guitars were a bit too bright. They overpower the vocal slightly - it's like the singer's standing between two bright lights. Boost the vocal 1.5? Cut the guitars each 1.0? I think that's what I'd do - one or both. I've leave the guitars just as bright, but have them less loud.

I thought the song and the playing were lovely. That shift into the refrain at the one minute mark is very very effective. You've got a really good song on your hands here. It's taken me ages to open the door - what a good line.

What are you doing with all this music you're recording and putting up here, Erland?

Excellent playing, great performance vocal wise and great lyrics! This is a keeper ... but I also agree about getting the vocals just a bit louder in the mix.

Very nice, though!

:D

Back