Collab with Rami !

jimistone

long standing member
I attempted this tune a while back but I don't have the drum chops and the vocal is a little out if my range. So, Rami was kind enough to collab with me on it. We both love the tune! I played the guitar and bass and he laid down the drums and vocals.
guitar, bass, and drums
Power trio style!!
I can't thank Rami enough for this collab!

Newest mix:
Still Alive & Well '73 - 01 by jimistone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Reactions: RFR
Cool tune for sure, Jimi. Guitars might be a tad mid-rangy, not quite warm enough.

Nice solo.

Drums sound nice, nice mid-range pop on that snare.

Bass could maybe use some more sub-lows.

Are the solos panned right on this? It even sounds like the bass might be a tad left?

Love this song! Got to see White Trash with Johnny Winter and Rick Derringer play this live many moons ago with Edgar doing the vocals... Really nice job boys!

Cool tune for sure, Jimi. Guitars might be a tad mid-rangy, not quite warm enough.

Nice solo.

Drums sound nice, nice mid-range pop on that snare.

Bass could maybe use some more sub-lows.

Are the solos panned right on this? It even sounds like the bass might be a tad left?

Yeah, I was trying to emulate Winters guitar tone (highs on 10, miss on 5, bass on 0) and it came off a little thin sounding. I will probably retrack the guitar. The bass is panned a little left and I recorded the guitar with 2 mics. One guitar track is panned to the right, with reverb on it, and the other one is barely panned left of center. Vocal is straight down the middle.
Thanks for checking it out Johnny!

Love this song! Got to see White Trash with Johnny Winter and Rick Derringer play this live many moons ago with Edgar doing the vocals... Really nice job boys!
Thanks TAE.
I loved that white trash band too man. I'm a HUGE Johnny Winter and Randy Jo Hobbs fan.
Thanks for the listen.

I like the skanky guitar tone. Didn't know this was a cover, I saw Johnny Winter live when i was kid, he warmed up for kiss i think-madison square garden...Anyway i like the tune and mix, playing and singing is great-i'd maybe come up on the bass a bit or down on the guitar-The mix seems to lack a strong rhythmic pulse-the thing that makes me bob my head...I like the wildness of the guitar playing, matches the tone-Good vocal performance-everything sounds good it could just use a little more ass imo. Nice work!

Good playing overall, the snare sounds dry in the verses/chorus, but not so much in the solo section. Left-panned bass is strange.

I like the skanky guitar tone. Didn't know this was a cover, I saw Johnny Winter live when i was kid, he warmed up for kiss i think-madison square garden...Anyway i like the tune and mix, playing and singing is great-i'd maybe come up on the bass a bit or down on the guitar-The mix seems to lack a strong rhythmic pulse-the thing that makes me bob my head...I like the wildness of the guitar playing, matches the tone-Good vocal performance-everything sounds good it could just use a little more ass imo. Nice work!

Thanks strat. The guitar tone is pretty close to the original as is the bass level. Actually my mix is more bass heavy than the original. I will try to get more bottom in the next mix without getting it to boomy (not an easy feat)
Good playing overall, the snare sounds dry in the verses/chorus, but not so much in the solo section. Left-panned bass is strange.
thanks mjb.
I just loaded the stereo drum track that Rami sent, as is,into Cubase. I haven't done anything at all mixwise to them.
The left panned bass....
There aren't a lot of options on creating a stereo field with a 3 piece bass, guitar, and drums format. So, I'm experimenting.

Outstanding all the way around.

Thanks Track Rat. I appreciate you giving it a listen bro!

I don't know much about this genre, Jimi, nor do I know the original, but the mix sounds pretty good overall. To me it sounds a bit hollow like it's recorded live in a bar.

I won't get into any nits, others have 'been there, done that'. ;)

I will say, as someone who has musically grown up with Johnny Winter,
you two have pulled off a very authentic cover.

Ya got my respect.
:thumbs up:

If you asked me to imagine what a mashup between jimi and rami would sound like, it'd be this.

It sounds great. Great playing and singing.

I won't get into any nits, others have 'been there, done that'. ;)

I will say, as someone who has musically grown up with Johnny Winter,
you two have pulled off a very authentic cover.

Ya got my respect.
:thumbs up:

Thanks for the listen and the kind words RFR!

I've never heard this song before but when it started I immediately thought Rick Derringer with the choppy guitars. On headphones there's more room for the bass to fill out the lower mids, but maybe that's the sound you're recreating. Super tight, sounds great

I've never heard this song before but when it started I immediately thought Rick Derringer with the choppy guitars. On headphones there's more room for the bass to fill out the lower mids, but maybe that's the sound you're recreating. Super tight, sounds great

Yeah man, Its a rick derringer composition. I'm gonna tweak the mix some more.
Thanks for checking it out!

It could be these office bookshelf speakers, but my impression is the kick needs more attack and boom. Rami's drums are dry and the mix is quite sparse so there's lots of room down there. I thought the lead guitar was a little forward on the breaks. Otherwise nice clear open mix, nice job on bass guitar, everything is present and available

It could be these office bookshelf speakers, but my impression is the kick needs more attack and boom. Rami's drums are dry and the mix is quite sparse so there's lots of room down there. I thought the lead guitar was a little forward on the breaks. Otherwise nice clear open mix, nice job on bass guitar, everything is present and available

Thanks bro. The frequency I bumped on the kick drum was too low. I changed that and I backed off the lead guitarlevel a hair. Also, I tweaked the vocal a little.
It's better now I think.

Newest mix:
Still Alive & Well '73 - 01 by jimistone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Back